Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 23:26

Default Jet2 Online checkin

I see Jet2 now do online checkin up to 28 days in advance, and all UK airports and Palma are on the list. As Jet2 have always had allocated seats, I assume that at online checkin you can select your seats, which leaves me wondering why anyone actually pays for advance allocation - or is there a flaw in my cunning plan? They wouldn't leave it up to the computer to allocate seats and deliberately split your party up to make you pay the extra - would they???

Has anyone used this since they introduced it? I'm a great fan of this procedure normally, having got over the fear that the scrappy little paper boarding pass I printed at home would actually get me to America!!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 10:48

Hi andy from embsay

I travelled with Jet2 from Belfast to Palma return in July 2008 and prebooked seats for my party of 4 to ensure that we sat together. Flights from Belfast are usually full at this time of year so sitting together was my only motivation and I did not use on line check-in. However, on my return from Palma the queue at the airport was horrendous - one queue for everyone regardless of which UK airport and I noticed that the queue for those who had checked-in online was really short and very quick. I could have kicked myself for not using this facility as it cost the same as it cost me to prebook my seats.

I returned to Palma in October 2008 but as my kids weren't with me I wasn't worried about sitting together however I used Jet2 online check-in to avoid the queue at both Belfast and Palma and thought the service was worth every penny (can't remember exactly how much it cost). There was no queue at all either side, our boarding passes were already printed and waiting for us and at Palma we were straight through and on to duty free in no time at all. So, in answer to your question, there isn't really any other advantage I can see other than ensuring you sit together and avoiding the queues, but for me the service was well worth it.

Hope this is of some help.

Linda
Old 12-01-2009, 14:33

Thanks - from what I can see from November 08 they opened up online checkin to all for nothing - so whilst I know you can pay for seats together (which i might do as my wife prefers to be near the front) if you can checkin online for nothing I can't see why you wouldn't be able to prebook your seats at the same time for free.

just wondered if anyone else had used them since this free service came in?
Old 12-01-2009, 16:11

My understanding is that Jet2 online check-in is only free if you pay to book seats but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has used the service more recently and might be in a better position to advise.
Old 12-01-2009, 16:53

Got the info from here:

Jet2.com | Christmas cheer from Jet2.com

it says online checkin is free.

Incidentally they've upped their luggage allowance to 22kg and now charge a fixed % (4%) to use a credit card rather than so much per seat per flight - which is a move in the right direction!
Old 12-01-2009, 19:08

If you do use the on line check in the future please let us know on here. I use Jet2 from Leeds Bradford each year and now my teenagers don't mind if we sit apart (I think they would actually prefer it ) we no longer pre book seats as we are always trying to reduce costs. Our next flight with Jet2 is May so I would be interested what others discover about online check in. Last year at Palma we ended up with extra leg room seats for free as both my boys are well over 6 foot and the check in girl said she had to give us them as they are so tall, which has never happened before, has anyone else had this?
Old 12-01-2009, 21:28

We use Leeds when we can (sometimes end up at Liverpool because of destination or cost) but we're flying Jet2 his time because it's only £30 or so more than Liverpool. We're not going til July so you'll have to tell us! You can checkin 28 days before so assuming you can book seats at that time you'd think that if you're early you should be able to book seats together.
Old 12-01-2009, 23:12

Default On line check in

Hope this isn;t too far off post

I have booked hand luggage only on line checking with BMI Baby in April can only check in 48hrs before flight

This is ok for outward flight and I had just thought that for the return we could access the internet via a variety of handeld devices / internet cafe's to actually do the check in ( or indeed get someone to do it for us from the UK ) I have just realised that I will need to rpint off the boarding cards

Does anyone know of anywhere in the port that has wireless and open access to a printer or an internet cafe that allows you to use a printer ?

BUT it has now occurred to me
Old 13-01-2009, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Does anyone know of anywhere in the port that has wireless and open access to a printer or an internet cafe that allows you to use a printer ?
Sorry this is taking this thread off line, but just to answer the question. The internet shop just down from Burger King allow print off's for only a couple of cents.
Old 13-01-2009, 15:40

just a word of warning - when printing off boarding cards for online check in with any airline ensure the bar code is printed clearly.If they can't scan it they will send you back to the desk to check in along with everybody else ( as we had the misfortune of having to do recently - it was the Mrs. fault as always!!)
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41

Hi Andy & others

I have from Jet2 that - yes! - if you check in online without paying for allocated seats the computer will allocate seats when you print the boarding card -AND members of the same party will not be allocated together. Could be anywhere on the plane. This is poor.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44

This happened to us last year with BMIbaby, but the staff at the departure gate noticed this and changed it so that we were seated together (there were only 2 of us though). If this happens it's worth either asking at the normal checkin desks or at the departure gate could it be changed. We were lucky
Old 05-03-2009, 13:49

I forgot to add that if you don't check in online (ie do it at the airport so you can have some say in what seats you get) they now penalise you by adding £2 pp per trip to your baggage charge (which is already sky-high). They add this even if you have no hold baggage.

So we either pay for allocated seats, take the on-lne lottery of the computer, or get fined! Great!
Old 05-03-2009, 23:54

When we went to PP last July we used Jet2 from Belfast to Palma and paid for our seat allocation. We used the on-line check in from home and from an internet cafe in PP before we went to Palma on the return trip. The service was great and we had no problems. Avoided the queues and breezed through both airports.

I will use it again when we come over this year.

I used La Carambra to check in at PP.
Old 07-03-2009, 15:00

Hi Bishopscourt

Thank you for the tip regarding La Carambra.

I too found the on-line checkin service offered by Jet2 very good and will use it again this year. Of course, I would have preferrred not to have had to pay to sit together but I think the majority of airlines operate the same policy.