Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 15:55

Wink

LOL! I do actually!!
Sponsored Links
Old 26-09-2008, 18:55

We also booked with Jet2. no problem at Manchester, our luggage was under. However after buying nothing and using up toiletries etc. we were told at Palma that between us we were 2kg over and charged 18 euros. This was not an isolated case nealy all the people checking in were also charged creating long disgruntled queues. this happened at Palma a couple of years ago and there were a lot of complaints. Has anyone else been affected?
Old 27-09-2008, 18:28

HI peeps. well do you know that any scales use for commercial purposes have to be calibrated to eu specifications?..well.. we were returning from llorett de mar a couple of years ago and my mate had weighed his bags before leaving our hotel and he made sure that they were well under the 20kg mark..when we got to girona airport the checkin scale said it weighed more that 25 kg so my mate asked to see their calibration certificate!...er..er..er I`l get my supervisor was the reply..he came and my mate informed him that it is european law to have the certificate to hand for inspection and proof of calibration..well it had not been calibrated for 2 years..so every one on that flight got through with out any more trouble and the people who were in front who had been charged excess were refunded their money..
If they tell you you have to pay excess and you feel that they are wrong, ask to see the calibration certificate..they must show you it by law..I have a feeling that you will not be charged and as with my mate.. you might board the plane to raptuous applause!

hope this helps some of you!..Dave..
Old 27-09-2008, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDav View Post
well do you know that any scales use for commercial purposes have to be calibrated to eu specifications
No, I didnt. And I can't find anything online which indicates that your mate is actually right (although it's always possible that the reference is so obscure that Google isnt finding anything at all).

I imagine your mate was referring to the EU initiated legislation that in the UK is called the "Non Automatic Weighing Instruments Regulations 2000", but as far as I have an understanding of this, there's no legal requirement to have a calibration certificate.

Certainly any organisation adhering to ISO 9001 quality standards would want a certificate but there doesnt seem to be a legal requirement to trade as the many, many organisations which can't afford ISO9001 certification (or for whom it would be just silly) will tell you. Any butchers, greengrocers, etc amongst us who comment?

If course, if the individual scales were found to be inaccurate, the company (presumably the airport) might be liable under whatever national trading standards legislation might apply in that country. It's really no different a situation than your local greengrocer having dodgy scales which incorrectly weigh your kilo of turnips.

Here's a link to Leicestershire Trading Standards Department about their recent checks at East Midlands Airport which I think sets put the position clearly:

Trading Standards check out check-ins - Press Release - 5 August 2008

Apologies for getting all technical but the last thing folk want is to start having a barney in a check-in queue that when push comes to shove they'll lose. However, my congrats to your mate for blagging her/his way through.

John
Old 28-09-2008, 11:12

Quote:
Any weighing equipment used in transactions for sale or purchase must be tested for accuracy and approved before the scale can be used for trade transactions. When found not to be working correctly the Trading Standards officer can cause a scale to be withdrawn from use with immediate effect, or in less serious instances give a notice to the scale operator to have the scale repaired within 28 days.
The last thing I want to do is have people qouting me if I`m wrong..lol I`ll kill that bigdav When I get back..lmao nice link there mate and thats where I got the quote from right at the bottom of that page..
Old 28-09-2008, 11:36

We always weigh or cases before we leave home on some fairly accurate scales I use when weighing refrigerant for work ( air conditioning installs) and also a digital parcel scale we have as a double check.

I also have a small hand held luggage scale that is fairly accurate.

On our recent trip from Liverpool to Palma my case was about 18.7 kilos when weighed by me. Liverpool airport under weighs, was about 17.5 kilos. I should have taken photos of the various scales to keep a record.

On return journey I checked my case to be about 18.2 kilos with hand held scale ( we used the shampoos and stuff so case was a bit lighter), was only just under weight at Palma

My wifes case was just the same, light at Liverpool heavy at Palma.

Never been charged because we always weigh our cases and aim for 18.5 kilos on return journey as I know the scales are a bit out.

This happens many times, sometimes is OK so some check in desks must be OK.

The only reason I can think of is Money

One of those investigative TV journalists should do an undercover documentary about this.
Have a case officially weighed and sealed by trading standards at 19.75 kilos and travel Europe with it and see how many times they get charged for over weight. Film it all with a hidden camera at check in.

Mark.
Old 28-09-2008, 18:59

Mark

The investigative bit sort of already done. Google throws up a couple of articles from The Times - funnily enough both featuring Girona airport which bigdav also mentioned. Perhaps something "iffy" going on there which is why the supervisor was so amenable to bigdav's mate, when challenged.

Interesting discussions on the subject on the "money saving expert" website - which basically conclude, as you do, that the best way to avoid charges is not to have overweight baggage. We also try to be a couple of kilo under to avoid possible hassle and have never had a problem. This holiday, for info, we flew out BMIBaby and return by Monarch (from/to Manchester).
Old 29-01-2009, 20:05

Default Weighing luggage

Just had a Netto flyer through the door and they have baggage scales for £2.99 in store from Monday. I will probably get some to use here and take with me to avoid problems at Palma. Be prepared as the Girl Guides say