Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 20:28

Default Thieves at the Airport - today's disaster story

A warning for you!!

Family members arrived at Palma today. They did all the business for their hire car and went into the multi-storey to pick it up.

As they were trying to find the correct bay, they had to go through a fairly narrow gap somewhere. Other people were coming the opposite way and pushed through. It was only a minute later they realised one of their carry-on bags had been lifted from the trolley. And, of course, it's the one with passport, credit cards, cash, tickets in.

The police tell them that it "happens all the time" and that usually its only cash that's nicked and the bag is usually found by someone. The cops have just rung to say it has been handed in and, as I type, they are driving back to Palma. No idea yet what has gone.

Great start to the hols, eh? Don't let it happen to you!

John
Old 17-08-2008, 14:14

How terrible for them. hope they can get things sorted so it doesnt upset the holiday too much.
Thank you for the advice though - something else to be open eyed for
Old 17-08-2008, 14:41

Yep, she's now sorted.

Only the cash & cards have gone. The cards were immediately cancelled so no problem (reminds me to keep two copies of the various emergency phone numbers - one with me, the other in suitcase). Luckily this happened after they'd paid for the car - she's the sole driver and it has to be her credit card that's used for payment.

Similar (pickpockets) happened to us some years back when we went to Paris for the weekend - lost the lot - tickets, passports, cash (but not cards) French cops couldnt have been more sympathetic - at least I think that's what they were saying . Put the mockers on the weekend, though.

J
Old 17-08-2008, 18:04

How upsetting and annoying but yes not uncommon - same thing happens all over the world I am afraid. Another ploy is that as you pile all the luggage into your hire car - one member of the gang comes over with a huge map and asks you for help to find some tiny little place - getting your full attention as you try to be ever so helpful of course - the other member silently opens the car door and takes off with the hand luggage bag - of course, complete with all the important bits. TAKE CARE - ESPECIALLY IN AUGUST.
Old 17-08-2008, 21:29

As JMD40 says - unfortunately this thing happens all over the place these days - in fact happened to a relative of mine recently in a supermarket in Edinburgh.

Sad fact that you have to be vigillant wherever you go nowadays.

Lala
Old 25-08-2008, 11:17

Sorry to hear about this tragedy.

All you can ever do is, be alert at all times, never let your guard down, simple things like tying your bags to the trolley etc, would have msot likely stoped this from happening. I am always very alert myself for thieves.

At this day and age im sorry to say but it is very common everywhere.