Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 13:28

Thumbs down Globespan takeover?

Read in local paper last night that Globespan operated at a loss last year due to problems with some of their planes leaving transatlantic passengers stranded. Goes on to say that they are looking for a merger or aquistition.

Methinks that they have grown too quickly - were they not airline of the year 2 years ago? I certainly noticed a difference last year with significant delays which I had never experienced with them before.

Does this signal the end of cheap Scottish flights to Palma? If they merge with another company will they lose their hotels - no more Sis Pins or singala.

Maybe I am being prematurely pessimistic - I hope so.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 14:28

Never heard anything about this Lala, we are going with Globespan to the Sis Pins in 4 weeks time and have booked flights for september with them from Teesside airport, hope they don't start changing things.
Old 09-04-2008, 17:36

Me too Hamcas - seems that their MD has retired and the new pup is looking for change - see here http://www.thescotsman.scotsman.com/...p39.3956465.jp

We have used them for years and they have been fab. Get up in the morning and by lunchtime you are in the sun - brill. Must admit though - last year was a bit of a disaster for us - the worst time being our 14 hour delay in September!

P.S We love the Sis Pins - have a great holiday.

Lala

Last edited by Lala70w; 09-04-2008 at 17:38.
Old 09-04-2008, 17:37

Does the link work?

Last edited by Lala70w; 09-04-2008 at 17:39.
Old 09-04-2008, 19:11

We have used Globespan since they started and until last year they were great, my first visit this year is a week today, so hopefully they have improved again.
I hope things work out as being able to get a flight any day of the week is great.

PP76
Old 09-04-2008, 19:32

Lala

Yes the link does work. Very interesting article. Thank you.

Sharon
Old 09-04-2008, 19:55

Default Globespan takeover?

Yes Lala

Interesting article in the Scotsman.

Alastair Dalton needs to check his facts. Not 17 planes but 12 according to

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Flyglobespan.htm

And if some merger comes what will happen to the Sis Pins and Singala?

This year they are also doing the Miramar, which they haven't since the days of Globespan about 2003 or so.

Last year we went twice to Palma and twice to Barcelona and only had a delay once, four hours going out in October to Barca, the previous day had been five hours and we knew the previous day we'd be affected.

Why? Under Mr Dalrymple's stewardship they were using a 737-700 to Barca in the morning and then at 4pm sending it to Boston. Yes Boston! So if there was any prob at Boston, well, Barca passengers paid the price!

By and large though, most problems and adverse comments refer to their transatlantic flights especially Toronto.

See these on http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/flygspan.htm

Porto

Last edited by Portofan; 09-04-2008 at 20:00. Reason: Spelling errors!
Old 09-04-2008, 21:17

Thanks Porto - that is an interesting link to Skytrax - they withdrew Globespan's rating due to "ongoing concerns about Flyglobespan product and service inconsistency, which made the application of a suitable Star Rating too inaccurate to be sustained."

I think that they defo went downhill last year - not surprising really if they are using the same planes for transatlantic flights - maybe they have tried to grow too quickly. We have used them since 1999 and remember when they offered the Miramar and lots more... The year of the bus drivers strike they were fantastic - keeping us informed and then flagging down taxis in the street to get us to PP whilst Thomson clients were sitting on the floor in Palma clutching their £3 food vouchers!

Would definitely not want to see the end of the Sis Pins or the Singala. Spotlessly clean, well run, inexpensive, lovely staff - two of PP's best kept secrets...

I'm a wee bit worried...
Lala

Last edited by Lala70w; 09-04-2008 at 21:23.
Old 11-04-2008, 15:18

There was a much more optimistic report about Flyglobespan in Glasgow's Evening Times on 9 April.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/d...for_summer.php

Maybe we do not have to worry too much.

Last edited by curlytom; 11-04-2008 at 15:21. Reason: Did not include link
Old 11-04-2008, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala70w View Post
Read in local paper last night that Globespan operated at a loss last year due to problems with some of their planes leaving transatlantic passengers stranded. Goes on to say that they are looking for a merger or aquistition.

Methinks that they have grown too quickly - were they not airline of the year 2 years ago? I certainly noticed a difference last year with significant delays which I had never experienced with them before.

Does this signal the end of cheap Scottish flights to Palma? If they merge with another company will they lose their hotels - no more Sis Pins or singala.

Maybe I am being prematurely pessimistic - I hope so.
A pal of mine is in the business and emailed me a few months ago suggesting that should I book with Globespan, ensure it was with a credit card so I could get my money back should things go wrong. As it turned out, the Alexia was booked when I wanted to go and it was much cheaper going with Easyjet from Turnhouse and booking a place directly on my own. Globespans price had gone up a few £100 on last years prices.

Lala, don't forget that Easyjet fly to Palma from Edinburgh and are cheaper than Globespan if you book early.
Old 11-04-2008, 18:21

Thanks Mark - I agree that Globespan's prices have increased. In September I paid almost £600 for 2 adult returns... not on really but so convenient direct from Edinburgh at good times... One of our first hols to PP we had to go from Newcastle - a bit of a hike.

If we had thought we'd have been so delayed last September we might have gone to the Easyjet desk as others did - know better next time. Have you been with EJ yet - if so how was it? The only prob is that the Easyjet flights are seasonal - tried to get something in Easter but they hadn't started yet...

Thanks too Curly Tom - sounds promising...
Old 11-04-2008, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala70w View Post
Thanks Mark - I agree that Globespan's prices have increased. In September I paid almost £600 for 2 adult returns... not on really but so convenient direct from Edinburgh at good times... One of our first hols to PP we had to go from Newcastle - a bit of a hike.

If we had thought we'd have been so delayed last September we might have gone to the Easyjet desk as others did - know better next time. Have you been with EJ yet - if so how was it? The only prob is that the Easyjet flights are seasonal - tried to get something in Easter but they hadn't started yet...

Thanks too Curly Tom - sounds promising...
Like you, me, Mrs S and the laddies have used Globespan since we returned to PP after some dalliance with Soller and Catalunya for a few years so I have no idea about the Edinburgh Palma route. Certainly I only paid £ 600 for the four of us to go this July, which is cheaper than it was 20 years ago!!
Old 12-04-2008, 15:01

Default Globespan Airline

Lala,

My hair is grey enough with-out worring about things that may or not happen. We,ve went with GS since day one and tend to use them mostly. However sometimes we mis-match and fly one way with them and return fly out with Easyjet which we are doing again this year, flying out with GS and returning with Easy Jet. Enjoy the flexability and you can save costs,, although we have had some great bargains with Thompson from Glasgow(£30 return last Oct). Would be a big blow if GS dissapeared. Certainly their prices have increased quite a bit recently, it would put me off going for a short visit. Had a problem with them February when we were shipped thru to Edinburgh, but that would be my only complaint after having flown with them for years.
Old 12-04-2008, 16:44

Thanks Smiddy.

Think the higher prices reflect their transatlantic problems Smiddy? Passing on the cost of their losses?
Old 18-04-2008, 08:00

Mrs PP76 took her first Globespan flight of the season this week, it was on time, hopefully they have now recovered from last years problems.

PP76