Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 12:19

Default Airline security - laptops

We'll be visiting PP again in just 3 weeks! We're flying from Bham (with Monarch airlines). I intend to take my laptop with me and wonder if anyone who has taken a laptop to/from Palma by air experienced any problem (or better still, had no problem at all)?

I've managed to glean so far that:
1) The laptop must be taken as carry-on (hand) luggage.
2) (If carried separately) it counts as a complete item of hand luggage
3) Airport security may well ask see the laptop operating normally (so, I'll leave it in 'sleep mode' to save time on booting it up)

I'm OK with the above but point 2) means I'll have to pack the laptop, without its own protective carrier, in with some other carry-on luggage. I presume the airport staff will treat it gently?!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52
Founder

Hi,

I take my laptop with me every time & have no problems. Whether you need to take it out of your hand luggage depends on the security procedure at the airport.

I keep my laptop in its slimline cover inside my hand-luggage (mini case on wheels). If I need to take it out, I bring it out in its sleeve & put it in the tray with the mobile phones etc. I've only once been asked to turn it on & I powered it up for them but that was ages ago. I've not been asked since. I would not leave it in Sleep mode.

I've never had any problems at all.

Hope that helps.

Btw, I would always take any valuable electronic device such as laptop, camera, PDA etc. in hand luggage as I don't believe that hold luggage is that secure.
Old 08-03-2008, 21:22

Thanks for that, Pollensa - just what I wanted to hear.
Old 08-03-2008, 21:40

Hi Brummie,

I've never been stoped and asked to turn it on . I just take it out of my hand luggage bag and place it in a seperate tray.

Hope you enjoy a good holiday in PP and the weather is nice.
Old 15-04-2008, 17:20

A quick follow-up, Pollensa and pinewalkstroll:
Took my laptop, slipped it out of my hand luggage case, placed it in a tray with my belt, coins, etc and went through airport security with no problem. They barely gave it a glance, it seemed to me.
[Which now has me worried ... what if it hadn't been a genuine laptop, but a bomb, would their scanner have spotted it?]

I'm now back in Brum (cold and wet) and pining for pine walk - I'll be saying more about my stay in PP elsewhere on this forum.
Old 15-04-2008, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
We'll be visiting PP again in just 3 weeks! We're flying from Bham (with Monarch airlines). I intend to take my laptop with me and wonder if anyone who has taken a laptop to/from Palma by air experienced any problem (or better still, had no problem at all)?

I've managed to glean so far that:
1) The laptop must be taken as carry-on (hand) luggage.
2) (If carried separately) it counts as a complete item of hand luggage
3) Airport security may well ask see the laptop operating normally (so, I'll leave it in 'sleep mode' to save time on booting it up)

I'm OK with the above but point 2) means I'll have to pack the laptop, without its own protective carrier, in with some other carry-on luggage. I presume the airport staff will treat it gently?!
I fly every week internationally and take a laptop, switch it off, stick it in you carry on luggage, you personally have to take it out and stick it in a tray through the Rapiscan Xray at Security and they may choose to 'dust' it, checking it for illegal powders etc, but that is it. Don't worry at all, unless you have done something you are feeling guilty about.