Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 16:47

Default AIRPORT SECURITY

URGENT AND IMMEDIATE

As from today airport security has been stepped up. Hand luggage only to be carried on in see through bags. Check out google - Guardian unlimited seems to have the best information at the moment - 8.30am.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2006, 18:26
Founder

Default Re: AIRPORT SECURITY

Feel free to add any useful (i.e. informative comments) re Airport security, affected flights & airports etc. but please refrain from any 'discussions' regarding terrorism, politics etc.

Thank you

Webmaster
Old 10-08-2006, 18:38

Allow AT LEAST 2 and a half hours before check in time and another 2 hours to clear security. Even then, flights are being delayed. Some flights are not even arriving at London airports to start with. No liquids at all allowed on plane; baby milk must be tasted by parents to prove it is baby milk.

Am now in the process of repacking the suitcases for two week holiday - no extra allowance for suitcases, even with all hand luggage now having to go into it. Looks like Ill have to rethink about the 13 pairs of shoes then!!
Old 10-08-2006, 20:33
bee66

Watching the 1pm news All easyjet flights cancelled and a ryanair spokesman has said not to expect any flights until next week. It seems to be the same at luton
Old 11-08-2006, 02:21
dolgoed

I know that it says above the the hold baggage still stays at 20 kg but is that offical and hand baggage allowance that would have been carried will not be added to the hold. Sorry for for this but i have been on the phone most of the day and cannot get through to easy jet. I have also been told by a friend travelling to Majorca with Tompsons on Saturday that the hand luggage allowance will be allowed in the hold, if you see what I mean.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:51

Easyjet confirmed that the extra hand luggage which is put into the case HAS to be counted as the luggage allowance. Mind you, what easyjet says on the phone can be totally different from what they say at the desk, but we are not taking the chance.
Saturdays easyjet flights should be fine, Fridays are a "strong possibility" of being ok - but still be prepared for delays as the planes are not where they should be!
Old 11-08-2006, 14:15
Snowy

Bella why 13 pairs of shoes, all you need are your pink walking boots they will go with most things, and what a hit you would be, could also come in handy if things get rough at the airport.

Hope you have a good trip, and not delayed to long, look forward to full review on your return.

:eek :eek

Old 11-08-2006, 17:28

Oh Snows, how clever! I am actually quite tempted to do that so that all forum members who are queueing (too early for spelling) up with us will recognise me!! However, comfort has to be the name of the game I think this time. Every forum member must smile and be happy whilst waiting, because how embarressing would it be to find out that miserable person was someone you loved chatting to!!

Flights from Gatwick via Easyjet shorthaul dont appear to have any problems today, so tomorrow should just be delays.

Can anyone direct me to the Easyjet page which gives update on baggage allowance as it seems to have gone!

Ive taken 2 pairs out so far!!

Good luck to all travellers this weekend - it will be worth it when you get there! There are no children in our party of 6, but I remember what it was like at the best of times, so - patience is the word!!
Old 11-08-2006, 22:15

2.30 pm - hung on for 32 mins before getting through to Easyjet customer services. Flights to pmi are going ahead - although obviously delayed today - better tomorrow.

Re baggage allowance. As long as it is UNDER 25kg they are accepting it - but try to be nearer the 22 kg mark for safety margin - some scales tend to be a little out, and now is not the best time to moan about it!!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:35
smiddy

Default Hand Luggage

We don't know how long the current restrictions will last. Question? Would anybody really have any problem if they were brought in permanently? Apart from baby items, is there really anything that vital that we can't do with-out for a couple of hours?

I have flown to Palma scores of times and find the only thing i need to take on the flight are, passport/currency/essential medication, all of which can easily be placed in a small plastic transperant pouch. Even with duty free they could introduce a system were you pick-up your purchases at Palma when you arrive.

Some of the "hand-luggage" i have seen over the years has been mind-boggling .

The airlines would have to do their bit and increase the allowance and refrain from using this as a revenue raiser.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29
Founder

Default Re: Hand Luggage

Have just recived this email from Easyjet:

Saturday 12 August: easyJet business as usual

easyJet intends to operate a full flying programme on Saturday 12 August 2006 as the situation at airports across the UK returns to normal, albeit with increased security measures in place.

However, passengers are advised to check in as early as possible - easyJet check-in desks are opening three hours prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight, and will close promptly 40 minutes prior. In our experience intensified security checks will lengthen the time between check-in and boarding so we advise passengers to plan to check-in as early as possible.

Passengers and cabin baggage

The following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

With immediate effect all cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of the aircraft. To minimise the inconvenience this may cause, we are temporarily increasing our hold baggage allowance from 20kg to 25kg per person.

All passengers will be hand searched, as well as their footwear and all of the items they are carrying will be x-ray screened.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items.

Nothing may be carried in pockets:

* pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));

* travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

* prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

* spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

* contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

* for those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

* female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).

* tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

* keys (but no electrical key fobs)
Old 12-08-2006, 04:58
Sazzle

Hello everyone

Just got back from PP. Was very worried about our flight home. We had so much information about what to do if flying out of UK but nothing about flying back in. Most passengers had stuffed all their hand luggage into their cases only to find that it wasn't necessary in Palma and then they were charged for being overweight. Lots of very cross people! Thankfully our bags were fine. There were no restrictions at all re hand luggage in Palma.
Old 13-08-2006, 19:55

We got back late last night with Air Berlin and just checked our (quite heavy) hand luggage bags in with the rest of our suitcases.

Security was a bit tight but the airport was no busier than usual and it was very liberating to have no hand luggage with us - just a couple of bags from Duty Free.

I must admit I was worried about my hand luggage being checked in - none of our bags had padlocks and I was dreading things being stolen - like an idiot I left my purse with credit cards in my holdall but everything was fine and untouched when we were reunited with our bags at Stansted.

It's made me realise how little we need to carry onto the plane with us and it was great to not be jostled about as fellow passengers took down heavy bags from the overhead lockers.

Jane
Old 13-08-2006, 23:54
bee66

I often wonder what people have in their hand luggage. They sometimes seem to have a problem lifting their bags to cram them in the overhead lockers!When its only a 2hr flight what can you need besides maybe a book/magazine bottle of water maybe.
I can remember going to one airport where. , at checking, there was a wire cage and your hand luggage had to fit
in it,Perhaps they should bring that back:
Old 13-08-2006, 23:56
bee66

sorry about my spelling, I of course mean check in!!