Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 05:58
sonyaaa

Default Air Passenger Duty?

Hi
Has anyone who has booked with Easyjet to travel after 1st February 2007 been hit with APD Air Passenger Duty. I have just received an email requesting a further payment to cover this tax for my trip on 12th Feb. Sooo does this mean I will get further emails requesting the same for the other flights I have booked......probably! Do I pay it straight away or wait and see if they request it when I check in or will they cancel my flight if I don't pay it as soon as. What do you think?

Sonya
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2007, 06:18

We have just paid the APD for our Feb flights after receiving an email. Have yet to pay for other flights already booked but no doubt easyJet will send more emails!!

Not the airlines fault 'tho its this ****** government >:
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01

Read this tonight...

politics.guardian.co.uk/economics/story/0,,1965403,00.html

Jane>:
Old 10-01-2007, 17:50

I have flights booked over the net with BMI Baby for end of Jan and Thompsonfly for end of March. So far no-one has emailed me asking me for more money, so I'm gonna keep my head down!
Old 22-01-2007, 21:25
Sara4

Hi,

I was listening to an interview with an exec from Easyjet on this and he said that it was mainly the internet based airlines that would be contacting customers for this charge. Simply because they have instant access to all their customers as they have been booked through a website.

He said that any Easyjet customers that refused to pay would be refused access to their flight.

The exec also said that regarding flights booked through a travel agent, it would be harder to contact the customer direct, which is why non internet based airlines are not passing on the cost.

We are flying with Thomsonfly and I believe, that they are not passing the cost on.
Old 23-01-2007, 19:43

Yep, had our e mail for extra £10 from Easy Jet last week to fly out in March. Checked with my sons to see if they had to pay for this weekend but they were ok. Trouble with EJ is that they dont give u second notices so if you miss the e mail and just turn up - theres no way your flying!|I
Old 23-01-2007, 21:16
joey36

Sad news Sara4 if you look on Thomsonfly.com you will see on the opening page (bottom right) that they will indeed be charging the new tax -sharing the burden they call it.

Sorry Joey36
Old 24-01-2007, 09:55
Gommar Goffer

Hi to all respondees - we have had two e-mails from easyjet for our two sets of flights, but the second one had no reference number -how do you resond to that? All I can say is thanks Gordon...not!!
Old 25-01-2007, 08:55

Hi Everyone,
We received an e-mail from bmibaby today stating that they would be taking the aditional tax from my credit card for flights booked before 9th December 2006. They say they will do this automatically.
Gordon galls me too!
Juat another way to compensate for loss of tobacco duty I suppose.
PeRu
Old 26-01-2007, 05:55
smg

Gordon is a git !!!
Old 26-01-2007, 07:55
sonyaaa

Hi

I too have had the same email from bmibaby I think its a bit cheeky just telling you that they will be taking the payment automatically they don't even tell you how much. So.. I called them £5 pp not too bad, The call probably cost me more! That all my APD's paid up!
Old 26-01-2007, 08:34

I have flights booked for July with Jet2 ..... so far so good but am expecting an email any time
Old 03-02-2007, 02:56
Sazzle

I've just had e-mail from Jet2 to let me know that they will be charging the extra money to the credit card that I used to make the booking.

I didn't know they were allowed to keep a record of people's bank/credit details!
Old 27-03-2007, 06:11
robjay

And you think APD is a bad idea?

From The Sunday TimesMarch 11, 2007

"Tories plan to slap tax on frequent flyersDavid Cracknell, Political Editor
AIR PASSENGERS will be penalised with “frequent flyer” taxes under Conservative proposals, which will be regarded by the airlines as a declaration of war.

The new tariffs will be based on either the number of flights taken or the annual distance travelled. Families who take just one package holiday a year will be protected, but for subsequent flights the tax will escalate so that passengers pay more the further they travel.

The Conservatives will also consult on whether to introduce further taxes, such as applying Vat to domestic flights or introducing fuel duty. The airline industry is currently exempt from the levies imposed on motorists for petrol and diesel.

These measures would replace air passenger duty, which is charged at £10 for short flights, rising to £80 for long-haul first-class flights.

Airlines could also be hit by a flight tax, levied on each plane journey, which the Tories say would reward cleaner engines and deter carriers from operating planes half empty.

But the party acknowledges that these costs are likely to be passed on to passengers by way of higher ticket prices.

In a leaked copy of the Tory plans, obtained by The Sunday Times, George Osborne, the shadow chancellor, says he wants the tax system to be rebalanced away from jobs and families and towards polluters — “pay as you burn, not pay as you earn”.

He writes: “The current system of aviation taxation is fundamentally flawed. In particular, air passenger duty is not directly linked to carbon emissions and provides no incentives for airlines to use more fuel-efficient aircraft. Even the government admit that it is a ‘blunt instrument’.” The bold measures, which could provoke a backlash from frequent flyers, such as business travellers, city hoppers, sports teams and even MPs themselves, are designed to prove that the Tories under David Cameron are serious about cutting greenhouse gases.

A consultation document on aviation tax will be unveiled at a “green summit” hosted by the Tory leader, who will be joined by Sir Terry Leahy, the Tesco chief executive, and other leading businessmen.

The Tories’ approach on air tax is at odds with Gordon Brown, who insists that it is more effective to secure international agreements on cutting emissions from planes, for example, by bringing air travel into the scope of the European Union emissions trading scheme.

The chancellor, who is likely to replace Tony Blair in the summer and face Cameron at the next general election, argues that simply introducing domestic taxes unilaterally would be difficult to enforce and would disadvantage the airline industry.

Osborne said yesterday further taxes were necessary to cut UK aviation emissions, which he said were on track to account for a quarter of all discharges by 2050. He promised, however, that the extra revenue would be used to cut taxes elsewhere.

Osborne said: “With these proposals we are prepared to take tough, long-term decisions to turn rhetoric about tackling climate change into reality.

“We won’t shy away from difficult decisions. We are saying taxation on aviation needs to rise, but crucially we want taxes to be directed at dirty planes and frequent flyers. And we don’t want to tax people out of their one package holiday a year.”

And a nice extra for the Scots and those north of London

Tory air tax plan 'ignores Scots flyers'
TORY leader David Cameron was today accused of ignoring Scottish holidaymakers with his plan to allow families to make a 2000-mile round-trip to the south of Spain without paying his new air travel tax.

Yesterday the Tory Leader and his shadow chancellor said their plan would allow a "green air miles allowance" before hitting travellers with an extra duty.

They claimed the 2000-mile limit before imposing a flight tax of £40 or more would enable hard-working families to keep their southern Spanish holidays in the sun while hitting frequent flyers and long-haul businessmen.

But former transport secretaries Gavin Strang and Stephen Byers have worked out that while travellers flying out of London's Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted airports would be able to get to Spain without paying the extra charge - those flying from Edinburgh Airport would not.

Barcelona is beyond those flying from Edinburgh at 1040 miles one-way or 2080 return, compared with Heathrow to Barcelona at 712 miles or 1424 miles return"

How will these plans affect the members who own places in PP? What will happen to your properties value?
One holiday abroad a year? How often do you go right now and how often could you go after these plans come into force?

Take care.

Robjay
Old 27-03-2007, 15:55

How on earth would they enforce this? There's no such thing as a central computer, so if we all book for instance on different credit cards, in different travellers names etc, how would they know whether you've already travelled your allotted tax free distance?

It makes me cringe! :\