Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-2006, 02:04
stillucan

Default Excess !

We were charged for being 2k over the allowed 20 kilos at Palma yesterday (globespan). That's one bloody kilo each!! Talk about printing money! What's even more galling is the fact that we put our duty free Bacardi in our suitcases as we thought we couldn't take liquid thro' security as hand baggage. It really would help if our travel companies would spell out security differences between airports.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-09-2006, 02:05
Barmy

It seems unfair that people are being charged for their luggage being overweght at the checkin but other people may be under the limit then go to the dutyfree buy heavy items that are not weighted at the gate .
Old 15-09-2006, 04:28
star81

Globespan do charge for overweight luggage and are very strict about it.

Be careful as your hand luggage is included in your total baggage allowance of 20kgs as we were warned the last time !
Old 15-09-2006, 17:50

Oh Yes!! Totally agree with this gripe! Having been caught up in the first weekend of no hand luggage, we were told by Easy Jet that allowances had been put up to compensate. Had they heck! Coming back from Palma we were stung good and proper!
Easy Jet desks in Palma are hardly ever forgiving of even 1kg!!
>:
Old 15-09-2006, 22:17
smiddy

Default Re:Excess

A friend was speaking to one of the staff at the airlines, and, quote;"thats how we make our money". In saying that we all know the rules!
Old 16-09-2006, 21:30

Default Re: Re:Excess

Don't forget that the UK rules on limited hand baggage don't apply on your return! So although you have to put more or less everything in the hold going out, on your return you can still carry liquids, make-up, duty free etc. I understand the UK rules are due to be relaxed again shortly too.
Old 22-09-2006, 03:03

Sandy,

The problem is that Globespan weigh ALL luggage, hold and hand to a totall off 20.0kgs. At Glasgow this was only weighed outbound (as always-we weigh both cases and hand luggage and allow 3-5 kgs below!).

Homebound from palma to glasgow-we witnessed many a person, opening cases, adding clothing and discarding clothing to avoid additional weight costs. Why not read the rules to begin with? And allow accordingly-maybe too simple.

However, here is my gripe (don't laugh). The Airlines argue that it costs more to fly increased weight i.e.baggage (human and inert) and therefore increases the fuel surcharge.

Absolute bollocks! It's already computeted. A couple weighing 10stones and 18 stones (64kgs plus 114kgs) give a weight difference off 50.36kgs. for both. No surcharge is applied to the human surcharge! (At least on paper).

Now apply the difference to aircraft payload.

I await informed argument from all

Thanks Sandy,

Jimbo
Old 22-09-2006, 15:50

You're absolutely right Jimbo. Each airline seems to have different rules. Shouldn't they all be the same so that at least we'd know without having to read the minutiae of smallprint every time!. Perhaps we should all be weighed at check-in too! :lol
Old 23-09-2006, 02:46
Joanne

Oh no no human weigh ins out checkout that would spolit my holiday, mind you might shame into losing some weight
Old 23-09-2006, 03:32

Sandy,

I am convinced that personal weigh-in will feature in the,not too distant future. The increase will be balanced against the
"Ozone" argument. etc. etc.

However, Jimbo is now on a strict diet foe next year in PP.

Cheers,

Jimbo
Old 23-09-2006, 18:44

Personal weigh-ins is a thing of the present, not future. A couple of years ago we took a helicopter over the Grand Canyon (was that fantastic or what!). They weighed us beforehand and you had to sit where you were allocated (6 seats) as weight was apportioned! I was lucky enough to be seated next to the pilot. Even the floor was see-through. It was like flying over the canyon in a goldfish bowl.

....whoops, really sorry for going off topic... back to flights to PP.
Old 27-09-2006, 17:42
Sapphoxxx

Just back from PP yesterday (Globespan) and we knew we would be over our allowance on the way back considering we were over on the way there! We pre-paid at a cost of £15 which I am glad of now as there were 4 people in front of us who were charged 7 euros per kilo. One poor girl was about 9 kilos over. (Incidently we were actually 14 kilos over when we weighed ours so we were glad we paid in advance...and that was before we bought our booze!) :eek
Old 30-09-2006, 04:24
Linzzzz

Yep, I got caught by Easyjet - I was 3 kilos over and my friend was 1 kilo over & we both got charged. I wouldn't have minded if the flight had been full but it wasn't. AND my suitcase was exactly the same weight coming over and I wasn't charged at Gatwick. Infuriating! >: I never had this issue with Easyjet last year, but I'm seriously considering flying a different airline now.
Old 17-04-2007, 04:26
anne10aber

Just to annoy you all even more. The airlines use a set male/female/child weight. Doesn't matter what weigh an average weight is used. Some airlines use actual weight for the hold baggage. Makes you wonder....
Old 27-05-2007, 20:04
mark1875

This Hibby agrees with JamboJim. We were a full ten kilos over with Globespan, although I knew I was over and expected to pay. Disnae help when the missus is like Imelda Marcos with bargain Mallorcan shoes and handbags!

I am out to buy lighter cases tomorrow for our return in August. When we got back and unpacked I weighed my old and trusty Samsonite, it is six blummin' kilos when empty! It was promptly taken to the dump yesterday!

This policy will certainly affect the booze and cigarette shops across the island when people get hit with the €7 a kilo charges. Everyone will simply buy at 'Duty Free'. Wonder if this was considered when the decision was made? It will certainly improve profits of the airside shops!

May be a worthwhile exercise recording the prices of alcohol and cigarettes at Duty Free somewhere on this website. I am not a smoker but was took cigarettes back for a pal, which were 32 euros for 200 which is around £23. A Litre of Gin Larios was 9.80 Euros, a bargain £ 7 and a litre bottle of Glenfiddich 12 Year old Single Malt was 22.40 Euro, which is £16.