Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2007, 00:56
Founder

Default API Advanced Passenger Info required from June 13th 2007

Have seen various refs to this in the papers:

"Holidaymakers travelling to Spain this summer have been warned to brace themselves for delays at airports as a result of the introduction of new security measures.

From June 13, Spanish authorities will be asking travellers to provide detailed information about themselves before they fly to the country.

Airlines have been told that the information needs to be supplied to Spanish customs authorities before anyone boards an aircraft, so check-in will be the last time passengers can provide the their details.

Known as Advance Passenger Information (API), the details required are the full given names, surname, nationality, date of birth and passport number of all travellers to the country.

Following the foiled airline bomb plot at Heathrow, European ministers agreed last August at a summit in London to set up a pan-European system for exchanging passenger information, including iris scans and fingerprints.

Spain is the first EU country to start collecting API from incoming travellers, but the practice is expected to be introduced in other member countries within 12 months.

Some 12 million Britons travel to Spain each year, around two thirds of them during the summer.

A spokesman for the Association of British Travel Agents said the introduction of API for visits to Spain was badly timed and would lead to delays at airports.

"This was announced four months ago and we said there was not enough time to warn people," said a spokesman. "With scheduled airlines, people can fill in the information online, but it is inevitable that many won't and we will have longer check-in times."

Has anyone had experience of this yet & know how the various airlines to Mallorca are dealing with it?
Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2007, 05:36

Read this Article

Delays expected on flights to Spain
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 19/05/2007
Introduction of US-style security checks likely to increase peak-season queues at airports. Jeremy Skidmore reports.

Holidaymakers travelling to Spain this summer have been warned to brace themselves for delays at airports as a result of the introduction of new security measures.

From June 13, Spanish authorities will be asking travellers to provide detailed information about themselves before they fly to the country. Travellers to the United States have faced similar demands since early 2005.

Airlines have been told that the information needs to be supplied to Spanish customs authorities before anyone boards an aircraft, so check-in will be the last time passengers can provide the their details.

Known as Advance Passenger Information (API), the details required are the full given names, surname, nationality, date of birth and passport number of all travellers to the country. In the US, holidaymakers need to provide addresses of where they are staying, although this will not apply in Spain.

In order to reduce the likelihood of lengthy delays at check-in, airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic have allowed transatlantic passengers to enter the information online.

Following the foiled airline bomb plot at Heathrow, European ministers agreed last August at a summit in London to set up a pan-European system for exchanging passenger information, including iris scans and fingerprints.

Spain is the first EU country to start collecting API from incoming travellers, but the practice is expected to be introduced in other member countries within 12 months.

In March, Bob Mocny, acting director of the US-Visit programme, the body that runs American immigration security, said Europe would soon follow the US in adopting fingerprinting as a standard security measure.

Some 12 million Britons travel to Spain each year, around two thirds of them during the summer.

A spokesman for the Association of British Travel Agents said the introduction of API for visits to Spain was badly timed and would lead to delays at airports.

"This was announced four months ago and we said there was not enough time to warn people," said a spokesman. "With scheduled airlines, people can fill in the information online, but it is inevitable that many won't and we will have longer check-in times.

"During the peak periods of July and August, we may have to tell people to turn up at airports half an hour earlier than normal." British Airways said it was encouraging travellers to Spain to provide the information on its website, www.ba.com, before travelling, or to give the details to their travel agent.

In a statement, BA said: "At some airports, a third option of providing API via a self-service kiosk may be available. This method is not guaranteed at all airports.

Staff at check-in desks will also be able to collect API data but passengers are strongly advised to supply the information before arrival at the airport, or at a self-service kiosk where available, to avoid unnecessary delays."

Any delays are likely to hit no-frills airlines in particular as they have quick turnarounds and allow passengers to check in just 35 minutes before flights take-off. A spokeswoman for Ryanair said punctuality would not be affected.

"We are working with the Spanish authorities on this and will comply fully with the new regulations," she said. "We are working out the best way to do it and are likely to get people to complete a form online before they come to the airport. We are confident that everything will continue without delays." A spokesman for EasyJet said it would also be complying with the new regulations and did not envisage problems.
Old 25-05-2007, 15:41

The official line from BAA website:

Advanced Passenger Information required for Spain from 13 June

22 May 2007

Spain is to bring in new security rules from 13 June 2007. All airlines will be required to collect specific information from every passenger travelling to Spain, under the Advance Passenger Information (API) regime.

Airlines will be responsible for collecting the compulsory information (full name, nationality, date of birth, passport number) either through their websites, travel agents, or at check-in.

Spain is the first European country to require the collection of API for visitors. However, the policy is expected to be introduced in other member countries over the next 12 months.

If you have any questions, contact your airline or travel agent for more information.
Old 25-05-2007, 23:01

Default API Advanced Passenger Info required from June 13th 2007

This from the Easyjet website. Looks encouraging.

As a result of new legislation from the EU, all passengers travelling from the UK and Switzerland to Spain will be required to provide Additional Passenger Information (API).

As a web based company easyJet will collect this information in advance online and will shortly announce details of what passengers need to do, by emailing affected customers with details of the new procedure. Information will also be available on our website.

easyJet would like to reassure customers that we intend to collect this information in advance to ensure check in can proceed as normal on the day of departure.
Old 27-05-2007, 00:33

For those of us flying with Jet2

Flights from the United Kingdom to Spain - Advance Passenger Information (API).

From 13 June 2007,as part of measures to ensure aviation safety and security, the Spanish Government requires all airlines to provide compulsory information on passengers departing the UK for Spain. This information includes full given name, nationality, date of birth and passport number.

Jet2.com are aware of the new requirements for API and will comply with them. We are currently investing in new technology to collect the necessary information at check-in and we do not, therefore, anticipate any extra queuing times for our passengers.

However, it is sensible to remind all our passengers that check in for international flights closes strictly 40 minutes prior to departure, by which time you must have completed the check in process. We continue to strongly recommend that all passengers arrive at the departure airport no later than 1 hour 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time in order to allow sufficient time to complete the check in process and clear Airport Security. If you are planning to travel with excess baggage please allow extra time.
Old 30-05-2007, 17:21
Founder

Is anyone flying with Air Berlin?

We are at the end of June. I've now emailed them twice & both times they claim to have no knowledge of what's happening. Germany is part of the Schengen agreement so I assume it doesn't apply there.

I'm not sure if it applies to all UK citizens arriving in Spain, regardless of where you fly from, or just anyone arriving from the UK. Whichever I'm sure Air Berlin will need to comply. Fortunately we don't fly until 2 weeks after it starts!
Old 01-06-2007, 19:30

We're flying with Air Berlin in August and so far have heard nothing.

I will email them and see if I can get any information. One good thing about Air Berlin (touch wood!) is that when we fly with them from Stansted, there's never any queues at the check-in desk.

We flew to Berlin with them on Monday and while the easyJet check-ins were 20 deep with people, Air Berlin staff were sitting waiting for us.

So, hopefully, we'll be able to fill in the API forms quickly there.

I'll post any info I receive,

Jane
Old 01-06-2007, 23:27
star81

Just to let you know I have just received the following email from Easyjet:

As a result of new legislation from the EU, all passengers travelling from the UK and Switzerland to Spain on flights departing 11 June onwards are required to provide Additional Passenger Information (API) before they travel.

One or more destinations in your booking above require you to provide the date of birth, nationality and passport or national identity card details for each passenger on the booking.

In order to do so, follow these steps:

For each outstanding booking you have which involves a destination in Spain, click the "View" button
Then click the "Add Document Details" button on your confirmation page
Enter the information as requested

Please ensure you provide this information for all passengers, including children and infants, from the travel documents you will use for all affected bookings. If the information supplied is incomplete, inaccurate or does not match the documents presented for travel, the affected members of your travelling party will not be allowed to take their flight.
Old 02-06-2007, 16:42
mark1875

Anything from Globespan yet?
Old 02-06-2007, 17:21
star81

I have not received anything from Globespan yet and am due to leave a week on Thursday ! Will let you know when i hear something.
Old 03-06-2007, 15:40
mark1875

Good stuff, that would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06
Joanne

I spoke to First Choice who we are flying with and we are going to have to provide the information at the check-in desk
Old 07-06-2007, 06:42

I spoke to someone whose Mum works at the airport and knows someone who works as chenk in operator ( I know its a bit of a tenuous link )

But she says its not really anything to fuss about and that all the information they require is in your passport and they have some new software which enables them to scan your passport as you check in . The software reads the bits it needs and forwards it to Spain whilst you are in the air

So it's maybe a storm in a tea cup

Or my third handgossip is wrong

Or they don't have the software at all airports

Anyone know any more ?
Old 07-06-2007, 23:48

I rang Globespan today who advise that "they have heard no reports of passenger delays at Palma" (maybe because it doesn't officially start til the 13th!) and that "they are the ones who will pay penalties if the information is not provided - so not to worry about it!" They added that if they needed any further information (I assume they mean your blinking passport number!) they would contact passengers.

I love Globespan - sure that they will have it sorted (the year of the bus strike they stood in the street and hailed everyone taxis!)

Edinburgh airport has scanners as I assume most UK airports do so if you are scanned on the way out perhaps not needed on the way home? I don't mind - I'll just stay in PP! As long as I can GET THERE!!!

Also of interest this article in Daily Bulletin yesterday

www.majorcadailybulletin....a?2237+0+0
Old 08-06-2007, 00:22
Founder

I think all the Scanning is down in the UK as Spain require the info BEFORE passengers arrive in Spain so I think any delays will be on the way out at Check In desks in UK (not Palma) as Airlines have to collect the info to send to Spain before you arrive.