Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19

Default hand baggage

Sorry to go back over an old theme , but I am receiving conflicting information from friends re Ryanair baggage policy and the website doesn;t really help me

My understanding is that if 1 person flies alone and pays for a single checked in bag they get 15kg allowance for the checked in bag plus 10kg allowance or their handluggage which must also me smaller than the specified dimensions

Friends are telling me that my hand baggage will be weighed with my checked in baggahe and they much BOTH only total 15kg

This seems illogical to me as I will be effectlvely paying extra just to take another 5kg which my case probably weighs - remind me to dotch my hard luggage ! )

What do you think peeps ?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20

The way I see it is that you get an extra allowance of 10kg as hand baggage...

We've just booked flights with Ryanair today :rolleyes and it's the first time I've ever had to pay to check luggage in which I find a real pain. I think I've made a mistake by only adding two bags (of 15kg) for the four of us and I'm hoping I can add another bag or we'll be dressed very skimpily for two weeks!

Air Berlin were always brilliant...early check-in at Palma, never had any queues at Stansted...I'm in mourning...

Jane:\
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31

Jane

I made a mistake in November

Ibooked easyjet on the way out .... 1 bag but got combined luggage allowance

On the way back we were with ryanair 1 bag so only 15kg .... we had to do a load of shuffling into our hand luggage and give away some bottles of Vina sol to get below limit .... thats why I am sure I amright about the hand luggage allowance being extra ..... but friends of mine have just got me wondering ........... the way these airlines work I wouldn;t be suprised at nothing

Going to reply to your car hire post now
Old 10-01-2008, 06:49

I had a look at the Ryanair website and clicked onto the "baggage" FAQ's:

"Cabin Baggage Allowance

Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions - certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage - click here for details. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, cabin baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment."

When we've flown before we've only taken two suitcases, but they've been around 20kg or less. I think I'm going to invest in a soft holdall for our clothes and not take any shampoo, soap, toiletries etc. You can always buy that in the resort!

I've been having a rant all evening and my husband is fed up with me! I really wish I'd got my own way and decided to drive! Imagine how much wine I could bring home!

Jane>:
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50

Jane its a small bag size also look out for the other dodge Ryanair do hold luggage is only 15kg per person you can not combine e.g 2 people travelling one case 18kg one 12kg you would get charged excess 3kg on the 18kg case.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:02

I had a real "I DONT believe it"! moment at the easyjet desk this afternoon. 2 suitcases - 1KG over - and they flipping well charged us for excess bagage! 1KG!!! 9 euros!! The paperwork involved must have cost them more than that!! For goodness sake get a grip!
Old 13-01-2008, 04:52
Linzzzz

Just adding to the point Jane made ... I don't bring any toiletries with me any more as they seem to weigh alot. You can pretty much get everything you need in the port and anything left over I just leave behind.

Bella - the same thing happened to me 2 years ago - I was 1kg over and Easyjet charged me, but last year they didn't! Go figure .... it all depends on the agent I guess.
Old 13-01-2008, 11:26
smiddy

Default hand luggage

2 pcs of hand luggage are fine, but it does concern me that some people will push it to the limit and compensate their weight allowance by trying to take too much on board, it's bad enough trying to find overhead space with one piece. What essentials do people really need for a 2 hour flight?
Old 13-01-2008, 23:12
Founder

Default Re: hand luggage

Smiddy,

the current hand bagge rules which are not yet being relaxed by EasyJet actually mean that you cannot have a handbag (which most ladies have) plus a small holdall - I have to cram my handbag into my holdall in order to go through security.

In addition, as so many airlines are actively discouraging hold-luggage by charging for it per pice, more & more people are trying to fit all their luggage into their hand luggage.
Old 14-01-2008, 03:26

Default Re: hand luggage

I agree with pollensa about the hand bag being classed as your hand lugage ...but if you cram it into a holdall that's ok! Seems stupid to me. I'm sure that must make it more difficult for security to check the contents of the bags than if they went through separately :rolleyes