Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2007, 16:56

Default Excess Baggage at Palma

Last year they were very strict at Palma Airport about the weight of your luggage; even weighing hand luggage including my bottle of water!

So this year we purchased excess baggage allowance for the return flight to allow for purchases but it was not neccessary. We were 4 kilos over but the guy at the desk didn't even comment!

A waste of £15 - save your pennies and take yer chances I say!

Lala
Sponsored Links
Old 14-07-2007, 18:10
mark1875

double post oops!
Old 14-07-2007, 18:12
mark1875

They took £50 off me in May, pay for the excess before traveling I say!
Old 14-07-2007, 18:15

Now Mark :eek - you've appealled to my Scottish frugality - maybe £15 is worth it after all!

Lala
Old 14-07-2007, 21:45
easylife

Default excess baggage

When we returned from Palma there were 7 young guys in front of us at check-in and 5 were over limit - one of them only by 1Kg. The 5 guys had to open their suitcases and try to off load stuff into the bags of the 2 with spare Kgs. One guy put 2 pairs of shorts on over his jeans, an extra t-shirt and a denim jacket
Old 15-07-2007, 15:53
mark1875

Default Re: excess baggage

Lala, as a fellow Scot, Frugality is my middle name (never forgave my parents for that one!)
Old 16-07-2007, 02:07
smiddy

Default Excess baggage

One of the main problems is the weight of the suitcase, some weigh about 3-4 kgs when empty. my tip is get one of these large sports bags, i bought one today. £12! Hard to believe but when we travelled to Palma last month my case came in at 20kg, my wifes 8.5kg(sports bag). They're not sports bags really more like light-weight suitcases.

You only have to get stopped once and if your 3 kg over,then you'll be charged £15. It amazes me how much these bags hold. It's not worth it, the only real answer is light-weight bags. No good complaining about we only had 4 kgs over, we all know the rules, it's 20 kg (including hand luggage) Some airlines only allow 15 kg.

I fly from Glasgow, and got my case from the "Barras"
Old 16-07-2007, 05:11
curlytom

When we returned from Palma to Glasgow via Globespan at the end of April we noticed that our queue at the check in desks was taking much longer than the other two. I went up to the front to have a look and discovered that the young lady at the desk for our line was weighing all hand baggage whereas the people in charge of the other lines were not. Although we were not over weight anyway, we then changed queues in order to speed things up.

There were several elderly ladies whose baggage was over weight due to "presents for the weans". Expensive presents!
Old 16-07-2007, 14:51

Yeah think it is a bit of luck Tom.

Hmmmm - I really wanted a paella dish but these things weigh a ton! May try the sports bag idea Smiddy.
Old 17-07-2007, 01:59
mark1875

We have a Samsonite shop in the town I live in. The lady has special sales to weigh cases. When we went to buy our new cases after being charged excess in Palma in May, we weighed the whole selection of cases they had before buying, the lightest was 4kg, the heaviest was 6.5 kg!!
Old 17-07-2007, 17:33
smiddy

Default Excess baggage

Re my previous post, all of you men out their must be wondering how my bag weighed 20k while my wifes came in at 8.5kg. Impossible i here you cry, a womens case is ALWAYS heavier, all was revealed when i started to unpack, half a case of dresses. Now to my knowledge i have never been a cross-dresser, therefore i can only deduct my wife placed them there while i was not looking. How sneaky is that :rollin
Old 18-07-2007, 00:19

Default Re: Excess baggage

Now Smiddy - I am sure you enjoyed your wife looking so lovely every night didn't you?

Perhaps she was thoughtfully splitting both of your clothes between the 2 cases in case one went astray - hmm? :rolleyes

This thread is becoming so domesticated - you men and your talk of luggage design! :lol

Lala :rollin
Old 19-07-2007, 01:18

Default Re: Excess baggage

Smiddy,

Quite right, cover your tracks, blame the wife.
You! a cross dresser..never!!

Cheers,
Jimbo
Old 22-07-2007, 23:09
smiddy

Default Excess baggage

It did cross my mind that if my case had been lost, i would have been in trouble, never mind i'm sure i would have looked stunning doing the evening passeo dressed with one of my wifes sexy little black numbers:lol
Old 01-08-2007, 18:36
smiddy

Default Excess Baggage

Was over in Gran Canaria last week for a family wedding, i noticed the hotel had a baggage weighing machine in the luggage area, you pay 1 euro and get a digital reading. Perhaps more hotels should purchase them, i think it's a great idea!

On a different note, the hotel had a strong polocy on rowdy behaviour, 1 warning, if you do not heed, your out on the street! I was only there 1 week and saw at least 5 rooms being emptied. It was very quite after that, nice to have a hotel who mean what they say.