Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By Deanscroft
  • 4 Post By pollensa
  • 1 Post By Lorenzo
  • 1 Post By Bircho
  • 1 Post By Carol
  • 2 Post By El Gordo
  • 1 Post By annascotland
  • 3 Post By ragdollabbi
  • 2 Post By CathB
  • 2 Post By copper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 10:17

Default Easyjets new (unannounced) cabin bag policy

Having just returned from a weekend in the UK I think a word about Easyjets latest money making initiative is called for. On both flights our cabin bags were taken away and put in the hold despite there being plenty of room in the cabin. The only passengers allowed to take their bags on board were those who had purchased speedy boarding (or easyjet Plus as it now appears to have been renamed). I can only think that this is being done to sell more Speedy Boarding.

So - when booking on Easyjet it now works as follows;

If you want to keep your cabin bag with you in the cabin you need to prepurchase Easyjet Plus. In effect you need to pay extra for your cabin bag.

If you are taking cabin luggage and dont mind it going in the hold at no additional cost then just pay the basic fare.

Hold baggabe policy is unchanged.

I wonder what they will think of next????
lollipop and scouse mark like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-02-2016, 11:26

Ryanair do a similar arrangement with their 'Priority Boarding' at £4 per person. which gives 1st on, 1st access to lockers and Guaranteed bag in the cabin.

If you take a premium seat the above benefits are included in the seat price.
Old 15-02-2016, 11:48
Founder

With both those airlines, we still make sure we get to the front of the 'other' queue even though we have pre-booked seats. When we last flew Easyjet, they were giving out a set number of 'hand luggage' stickers - first to those who had paid for easyjet Plus and then to the first few at the front of the 'other' queue.

Aren't they even doing that now?

At least with Ryanair you can also now bring a second handbag/duty-free carrier (I have one saved! )
Sparky, Lorenzo, lollipop and 1 others like this.
Old 15-02-2016, 12:39

Yes, when we flew with Easyjet back from Palma in January, little green dot stickers were put on a our hand luggage prior to boarding & then when all the coloured stickers had been used, remaining passengers with hand luggage had theirs taken & put in the hold.
The Easyjet staff at the departure gate in Palma did this with the minimum of fuss when we left & passengers were given the opportunity to remove any delicate items or handbags from their hand luggage prior to it being taken to put in the aircraft hold.
The only time this backfired for us was on the Bristol-bound flight last November when there clearly was a problem with the luggage handlers at Bristol Airport. It took about an hour for everyone's luggage to appear on the carousel and when a fellow traveller complained, she was told by the Duty Manager that 'Bristol Airport was a very busy airport & if she was in a rush, she should have booked to travel with hand luggage only!' - hahaha!
Sparky likes this.
Old 15-02-2016, 13:09

If you read the Ryanair policy, it states that the first 90 people will be allowed to take hand luggage into the cabin and the remainder will be put in the hold.

We flew back with Ryanair last month and the put hold labels on the middle batch of passengers. Those at the front of the queue and those at the back had hand luggage put in the cabin.
annascotland likes this.
Old 15-02-2016, 15:50

We flew back in January to Bristol ( yes we had booked front row seats) and we were last off due to assisted boarding nearly every passenger that went past us had hand luggage of some description and the flight was virtually full

Eating Out
Old 15-02-2016, 23:05

Easyjet and stickers on cabin baggage is not new. Palma airport seems to have more 'officious' staff than in England. We are travelling Easyjet next week - I will report back.
debz1 likes this.
Old 15-02-2016, 23:55

Not just European easy jet flights, flying Newcastle to Belfast last night quite a few passengers had hold tags put on their hand luggage, we were already delayed and needless to say some people were very unhappy, especially at having to wait at the other end to get the bags.
Old 16-02-2016, 12:11

Remember to keep your Passport and valuables on your person if your hand luggage is put in the hold as luggage claim is after Passport control!!
Lorenzo and annascotland like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 17-02-2016, 11:14

When we got to Palma airport last September the biggest queue for our Ryanair flight was the speedy boarding one! A bus FULL of 'speedy boarders' was taken out to the plane, the first half were allowed on with hand luggage and the rest were having their luggage taken and put in the hold, there were a lot of very unhappy people.
My daughter and her family had speedy boarding at Glasgow Prestwick but for some unknown reason everyone's luggage was put in the hold, on arrival at Palma they had a long wait for luggage with the result their pre-booked taxi left without them.
The airlines encouraged as many people as possible to go hand luggage only to save baggage handling charges, now so many are doing it they are finding another was to cash in.
Nick likes this.
Old 17-02-2016, 11:38

The sooner the airlines go back to including one case in the flight price and limiting the hand luggage to relatively small pieces (as opposed to sometimes fairly big cases) the easier it will become. Flights will also board quicker as the aisles will not be jam packed with people trying to force their bulky cases in the overhead lockers. I'm all for progress but only if it's beneficial to everyone
debz1, annascotland and rebel like this.
Old 17-02-2016, 12:27

Although EJ have a supposed size restriction unlike Ryanair and other carriers there is no weight restriction. I have always been amazed with some of the bags that are allowed on board .We usually have handluggage which is correct cabin bag dimensions but some seem to come aboard with what looks like a small suitcase 😱😱 I have seen EJ measuring some bags at Palma but not on outbound flight
joey36 and Belladonna like this.

Eating Out
Old 18-02-2016, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
Although EJ have a supposed size restriction unlike Ryanair and other carriers there is no weight restriction. I have always been amazed with some of the bags that are allowed on board .We usually have handluggage which is correct cabin bag dimensions but some seem to come aboard with what looks like a small suitcase 😱😱 I have seen EJ measuring some bags at Palma but not on outbound flight
Same here - it never fails to amaze us at the size of 'hand luggage' that goes on board our flights. Hubby has a lovely flight bag which I gave as a present a few years ago - then the permitted dimensions reduced! It's only a couple of cm's over size but we never dare risk it
Old 18-02-2016, 10:20

Used to do quite a few city breaks and I remember Ryanair and Easyjet changing their case sizes and EJs were bigger so off we went to get those and then of course it all changed again !

Our only hand luggage now is a squashy type bag that my handbag can go in and fits under the seat and my husband has a smallish shoulder type bag that the net book can go in so hope these wont be removed from us to go in the hold

I think what annoys me most is the inconsistency some check some dont !
annascotland and ragdollabbi like this.