Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 22:23

Default Hen/stag party's on flights

I know I'm getting old, but after reading tonight 6 people arrested on flight from Glasgow to Palma heading for Magaluf, isn't it time the airlines started looking at curtailing these flights. Try and book some places for holidays in the UK and you will find "no stag or hen party's". Personally I find it embarrassing with some poor girl with her bra on the outside of her clothes and a sign hung over her neck with " the bride" and the rest with names I would get banned for. The boys are probably worse as you have to listen to the bad language throughout the flight. Majorca doesn't need this! After the antics of a girl last year performing in a bar in Magaluf it was said they were closing some of the bars down, money talks and it hasn't happened, unfortunately we have to suffer them on our flights.
Having more faces than the town hall clock, a couple of years ago we were sitting on a flight with the spare seat beside us waiting to take off, this huge drunk staggered on and my wife was saying "no, no, please not beside us"
Anyway he planted himself down beside us and by the time we arrived in Glasgow we were harmonising to his favourite songs 😩 so maybe the answer is, if you can't beat them join them 😼
joey36 and Stevo66 like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2015, 08:53

Totally agree gpm. I think airlines should be watching people as they board and stop those who are clearly under the influence of alcohol.

Dare I say ban the selling of alcohol on flights and enforce the rule of not allowing people to drink their own. We were on a winter flight last year where two adults behind us were obviously drinking their own and the crew knew this but did nothing (not youngsters but older adults whose language grew totally unacceptable as the flight went on).

Now we tend to fly on Saturdays, Mondays and Tuesdays which are not favourite days for stags/hens.
Old 09-05-2015, 13:23

Unfortunately the airports and airlines make more money out of alcohol than anything else. That's why they don't want you to drink your own!! They even give you discounts for buying three bottles etc..its got nothing to do with controlling how much you drink.

My FlickR Photos
Old 09-05-2015, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Unfortunately the airports and airlines make more money out of alcohol than anything else. That's why they don't want you to drink your own!! They even give you discounts for buying three bottles etc..its got nothing to do with controlling how much you drink.
Quite agree. However, if airlines do want to look after their customers and everyone's safety, it is after all cheaper than having to land at unscheduled stops to offload the drunks.

PS we do enjoy our drinks but at the right time and the right place (that being in our favourite PP).
El Gordo likes this.
Old 10-05-2015, 00:08

Ban the unruly drunks, and confiscate their passports. As usual the general , well behaved public have to tolerate the unsafe and unpleasant behaviour. Maybe time to have air marshalls on all flight's, armed with stun gun's or, better still cattle prods !
Nick, pips, scouse mark and 1 others like this.
Old 10-05-2015, 00:18

The problem is that sadly most of us need to work in order to fund our time in PP and so many of our PP visits are for long weekends ..... Which means you just know there will be a few hens and stags on the plane

Not always idiots and not always under the influence of too much drink, but sadly it does happen on too many flights.

One tip ..... Spend the extra few pounds on an extra legroom seat towards the front of the plane and you will find that it is very rare that hens and stags will be in the vicinity

Yes I know that some will say you shouldn't have to spend more in order to be rid of the nuisance ...... But let's face it, we do that most of the time anyway when we choose where to live , where to shop and where to spend our leisure time.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30

On a recent flight, my daughter paid extra for a seat at the front of the plane and ended up with a 'stag' sitting next to her, who hadn't paid extra and delighted in telling everyone around him! After too much to drink the inevitable happened and he fell asleep, "great " I hear you say, but no, his head was resting on her shoulder for the rest of the flight.
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:43
Banned

I'm pretty sure it's against aviation regulations to allow drunk passengers to board an aeroplane? However, I suppose it's subjective as to how drunk someone is.
If people were charged the entire cost of diverting an aeroplane and any other charges then they might think twice.

Ejecting them from the plane at 38,000 feet is another way!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58
Super Moderator

I am pretty sure you are correct Nick, can you remember the "fly on the wall" TV program, "Airline". Easyjet staff and passengers filmed in Liverpool and Luton, many times people were refused boarding because they were drunk .
Old 10-05-2015, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
I'm pretty sure it's against aviation regulations to allow drunk passengers to board an aeroplane? However, I suppose it's subjective as to how drunk someone is.
If people were charged the entire cost of diverting an aeroplane and any other charges then they might think twice.

Ejecting them from the plane at 38,000 feet is another way!
In the USA under Federal Law they are charged the cost involved in diverting the flight and any other costs. Plus usually custodial sentence. And life ban from airline and its subsidiaries. Unfortunately the British courts are on many occasion without teeth and left powerless to inflict punishments that reflect crimes.
El Gordo, Nick, Jonsey and 1 others like this.
Old 10-05-2015, 14:55

It's been in the news recently about football grounds and other venues breathalizing those that wish to enter.

One establishment had the device set at twice the UK driving limit so gave some leeway for people to be able to enjoy themselves still. However, then trying to sell even more alcohol on a 2 plus hour flight might still not be acceptable.

There is nothing like self control....however this is often only learnt later in life!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 10-05-2015, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
It's been in the news recently about football grounds and other venues breathalizing those that wish to enter.

One establishment had the device set at twice the UK driving limit so gave some leeway for people to be able to enjoy themselves still. However, then trying to sell even more alcohol on a 2 plus hour flight might still not be acceptable.

There is nothing like self control....however this is often only learnt later in life!!
Forgot to mention.....I'm still learning!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 10-05-2015, 21:27

They obviously don't worry about it on a Thai airways flight. Both times I've been and for the first half of the journey we were offered wine, beer and spirits which were automatically topped up without having to ask! And you were still able to continue drinking throughout the rest of the flight. All this was included in the price we paid for our tickets, so you would imagine the state of some after a long 12 hour flight....didn't see or hear any drunken behaviour though.
Old 10-05-2015, 23:27

I would hate for this to become a scare story and put people off coming to PP. We've been flying out and back at least twice a year since 1995 and I've yet to encounter a stag\hen party (and that was initially flying Monarch, and then Easyjet when they came into being). Funnily enough the only bad experience I have ever had on a flight was with a business class journey to South Africa last year - and that was simply a fairly drunk passenger talking very loudly at 2AM - and I did complain, and he stopped. But as yet the passengers to and from Palma have been universally lovely.
debz1, sws97sdg, LK1960 and 2 others like this.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:27

Kate I think you are correct -it is not a common event but does crop up on Flights leaving Friday afternoon and evening and return flights on Sunday or Monday evenings

I don't think it is a big problem ...... But those who are lucky enough not to be tied to only being able to come to PP during their leave days from work may choose to mitigate the risk by avoiding these flight days

If I didn't work I would probably choose to travel on tues we'd or third for a whole range of reasons and this would just be one of them
kate1 likes this.