Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 08:10

Default Monarch v J2

We fly from Leeds/Bradford and normally use J2 but Monarch have now started flying to Palma a few days a week and so when I was doing the booking last year I decided to go for Monarch as they were a bit cheaper (even allowing for paying a bit more for 23kg). (We did book our last October's flights with them but then they changed the day of their last flight back so we had to change to J2 which was a bit of a downer)

What a difference The seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room; the cabin crew were genuinely helpful and friendly on both flights; there was no pushing 'special offers' at you all the time - it was all quite 'low key'; you could actually hear what the pilot was announcing; dedicated desk at Palma if you had checked in online so no queuing at all. It was like flying used to be - a pleasant relaxing experience. (apart from all the long walks at both Palma and LBA)

So I cannot understand why there seemed to be a lot of empty seats on the flight There is no competition as far as we are concerned (the flights are only 20 minutes apart so its not the timing). I really hope that they continue to fly from LBA as we we certainly choose to fly with them in future.
Hibby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-06-2014, 10:32

Not sure if I am reading this correctly but did the Monarch flight have better seats or J2?

(I really like Monarch now after our last two Monarch from East Midlands flights )
Old 21-06-2014, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Not sure if I am reading this correctly but did the Monarch flight have better seats or J2?

(I really like Monarch now after our last two Monarch from East Midlands flights )
The Monarch seats were much more comfortable - J2 ones are really hard - they feel more like benches really
Old 21-06-2014, 12:42

Unhappy Monarch Flights

I completely agree with Rosie34 re Monarch flights, though we fly from Manchester. However, we have found that if you book a long way ahead, the scheduled timings change nearer to the date. This has happened to us three times already this year and the new timings are always not as convenient as originally booked, for example, arriving in Palma late at night, so there is a danger that there could be an excess to pay on the car hire. When we have asked for a cancellation and refund, this has been refused, unless we re-book flights with Monarch again for a different day. Fortunately, we have been able to do this, as we are retired and are not tied to certain holiday dates. Not everyone has that option. So bear this in mind if you are booking well in advance.
Old 21-06-2014, 13:07

Agree Millipet - this happened to us last year - we had booked flights for October staying 3 weeks and got an email from Monarch not long before saying they had changed their last return flight to 3 days before the end of our holiday They gave us the option to cancel or just cancel the return flight. We cancelled the entire booking and managed to re-book with J2 but they did the refund immediately.
Old 21-06-2014, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
The Monarch seats were much more comfortable - J2 ones are really hard - they feel more like benches really
Never flown jet 2 but I do like Monarch recently.

A couple of years ago we had changed times and changed aircraft with Monarch that put us off (A very old Air Italy aircraft, the Italian aircrew where very nice to look at though )

Most recent flight with Monarch was 3rd April 2014 flight ZB 7422 from East Midlands.
Row 6 ( 1st class I call it) and look at the leg room, 2 windows, lovely seats.

Look at spacing of the people behind in the standard seats.

(taken with mobile phone)

-------

A Ipad/tablet holder in the seats:

You cant fault that as long as you are lucky and get one of the newer aircraft.
its cd and Rosie34 like this.

Last edited by Mark; 21-06-2014 at 17:29.
Old 22-06-2014, 00:10

Monarch every time for us ...... It is just such a better experience than jet2, ... I get really wound up on jet2 flights when they have that stupid Paddy Mcguiness sound alike with the patronising false jolly announcements ....... I have often wondered whether the southern jet2 flights have an equally grating cockney type announcer. Also for some reason jet2 passengers seem to do that annoying clapping the pilot when the plane lands nonsense ..... For goodness sakes they are just doing their job ..... And did anyone actually think for one minute they wouldn't land the plane .....

Yes we have had some flight time changes with monarch .... Usually just an hour or 2 but earlier this year our evening flight was changed to a morning flight which was really inconvenient ..... They gave us the option of a refund but in the end we opted to accept the change ..... I did write and say how inconvenient it had been and they sent me a £100 voucher.

Monarch also let you take a hand luggage case and a laptop bag/handbag providing you stick to the weight limit.
Nick likes this.
Old 22-06-2014, 11:30

Yes - a friend of mine flew with J2 for the first time this year and she commented on the announcer and said he was so 'broad' she couldnt understand a thing he said - and she is originally from Dewsbury

And I always cringe when there is applause for a completely normal landing

And it is so civilised allowing you to carry a handbag in addition to the flight bag - and a shopping carrier bag as well - totally loaded down coming back!!

But I have a feeling they may not be flying from LBA next year as there are no flights showing on the schedule when I looked a few days ago. I have emailed them to ask what is happening as I want to book for next September.
Old 23-06-2014, 10:46

I recently flew Monarch out of Luton and Easyjet back. I must have got one of Monarch's older planes as the Easyjet plane was much newer and had alot more legroom and comfier seats.

Sorry but I did not make a note of what each plane was!
Old 27-06-2014, 21:24

Default monarch v J2

I would chose Monarch over J2 every time BUT the departure airport tips the balance for us. I cannot bear Manchester Airport, much prefer Blackpool but of course Monarch don't fly from Blackpool.
clinkham likes this.
Old 19-08-2014, 14:34

Such a shame

2014 News - Flights - MONARCH AIRLINES TO STOP FLYING FROM EAST MIDLANDS BASE IN 2015 | Flights News - Monarch

I liked Monarch flights from East Midlands.
Looks like the pictures from my previous post of the nice seats where my last Monarch East Midlands flight.

A lot of changes and job cuts
Monarch to cut 1,000 jobs as airline seeks take off as low-cost carrier | Business | theguardian.com

BBC News - Monarch airlines plans to slash workforce by up to 30%

They did have a lot of old aircraft.

Let's hope Leeds Bradford continues !

(I will be paying for all flights with a credit card instead of debit card from now on just to be safe as the extra card fee will be worth it if things go horribly wrong)
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 20-08-2014, 08:02

Mark - really sorry about Monarch discontinuing flying from EMA - and agree they are a good airline to fly with. I am still trying to find out their plans for LBA next year as I really need to book the May flights now and dont want to give in to J2's extortionate prices I emailed Monarch again last week and their latest reply says this:

The dates for LBA 2015 have not yet been released and the network for this airport is under review. When they become available passengers will be able to book these. We have not been given a set date as to when these dates are going to be released so we cannot give you a definite date.

We would advise you to keep checking the website. When the dates are released passengers will be able to book flights from this airport.

UNQUOTE

I dont like the 'network under review' bit and am now thinking that maybe LBA will go the same way as EMA

Just dont know what to do at the moment - should I just book J2 now or hang on indefinitely? Decisions
Old 24-08-2014, 08:48

Default Monarch

I too gave up with Monarch as they always change flight times! Last visit I ended up flying home a day early. They changed the return flight 4 times in total - from evening to early morning! Now use BA they are cheaper than Easy jet!! Mark- a debit card will give you same security as credit card-if Visa. I had to claim a few years ago and had no problem that I had paid with Visa debit card. Check small print but I'm sure that's still the case.
Old 24-08-2014, 15:09

I have now given in and booked Monarch from Manchester - cheaper flights than J2 including 23kg hold luggage, priority check in, extra leg room seats etc. Even though it involves an overnight at airport hotel, it's still not a lot more expensive when you consider either taxi to LBA or parking there I expect now they will announce LBA flights

And yes Catwoman, we had the same experience last October when they wanted us to come back 3 days early! We got a refund and rebooked with J2. So I guess we are just keeping our fingers crossed that there won't be any changes this time!
Old 24-08-2014, 18:39

I honestly think I can forgive an occasional change of flight time, but I've been seriously inconvenienced in the past by Monarch and I really can't trust that airline any longer.

Like Easylife1, I'd love to fly from Blackpool, living close by in Lancaster, but the flight times just don't suit us, unfortunately.