Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55
Super Moderator

Thumbs down Air Traffic Controllers protest.

A report from the UH translated by Google and where it says "drivers" it is really "controllers".
Los controladores europeos amenazan con colapsar el espacio aéreo este verano » Local » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca.

European drivers threaten to collapse this summer airspace
Yesterday at Son Sant Joan canceled eight flights to France and there were widespread delays, today is expected very complicated day

European drivers, including French, Italian, Austrian, Portuguese, Belgians, Bulgarians and other nationalities made today a day of protest against the intention of Brussels to implement the so-called 'Single European Sky', which aims to privatize the activity of all the control centers to reduce costs and flight times.
ETF (European Transport Federation), in this regard, he called for a "day of action", which will join the strike being carried out by French drivers, who yesterday ended with eight flights canceled from France Palma's airport, and numerous delays in connecting flights to Madrid and Barcelona.
Impact
Eurocontrol is doing extensive monitoring on pressure strategy European drivers because they are threatening to collapse the European airspace on a record tourist season for holiday destinations in southern Europe, including Islands, Croatia, Italy, Spanish lift and Greece.
The Ministry of Development, through AENA, is making a special monitor this issue, mainly because today if drivers know Spanish, German and British join the day of protest, which will result in a string of cancellations and delays , which will hurt all airports initially Balears historic season.
The Director General of Ports and Aéroports, Antonio Deudero, yesterday showed concern about this, stating that "if the French drivers still in this attitude, it is clear that Balears will be one of the areas most affected. Will have to see how events evolve. "
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58
Super Moderator

In case you don't know the French ATC have been on strike all week which has led to some delays on flights .
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40

Tell me about it....Ryanair have just emailed me and cancelled my flight over there this evening from Bristol , real bummer as it's raining and blowing a gale here in Cornwall !
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that CHUG, was your flight to France or Mallorca? .
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16

Bristol to Palma , I thought it would only be French landing flights that may get pulled , but obviously not with Ryanair . Anyway , just got a full refund for the out and inbound legs and booked with Fybe from Exeter for tomorrow morning..pretty good prices too- £74 out and £44 back including taxes, plus it's nearer and nicer at Exeter airport..06:15 take off , should be in PP by 10:30, just in time for morning coffee !
sws97sdg and Sparky like this.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50

Just heard on the radio that Easyjet have cancelled dozens of flights out of the south-east today. Worth checking if you're planning on travelling today.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52
Super Moderator

That's great CHUG, really good price, Flybe are good and i agree Exeter airport is much nicer than Bristol .
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28

The all day strike for Thursday has now been called off and the strike will end at 0559 on Thursday morning - according to Easyjet travel information
Sparky likes this.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:02

Old 12-06-2013, 15:35
Banned

Sack any who strike and write a "no strike" clause in the contract of new applicants.
James likes this.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:11

Easyjet flights are on time today.
Sparky likes this.
Old 13-06-2013, 13:48

Just home to un-sunny Poole (14 deg). No Ryanair delays though Palma Airport VERY busy with evidence of passengers asleep on chairs having been there overnight.
Sparky and Lorenzo like this.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:12
Super Moderator

From today's online Majorca Daily Bulletin . Grupo Serra Newspaper . Daily Press . News in English . Online Digital Information . Palma of Majorca Balearic Islands Spain. majorca daily bulletin. grupo serra newspaper . daily press . news in english . online digital info

Flight chaos in Palma.
Palma.—The Bulletin, received a number of Tweets and Facebook messages from passengers either trapped in Palma or stuck elsewhere in Europe, trying to fly back to the island as the strike also severely hit Air Berlin’s hub, here in Palma.
Ryanair, was forced to cancel more than 240 flights yesterday as the strike entered into its second day, while EasyJet, scrapped 128 with some of those due to fly between the UK and Spain and the Balearics. Scores of flights through French airspace weredelayed and passengers bound for other European destinations were told to prepare for delays of up to four hours.

A statement from Ryanair, called on the European Commission to remove air traffic controllers’ right to strike. “It is unacceptable that the skies over Europe are repeatedly closed or flights are delayed by the unjustified strike action of tiny numbers of air traffic controllers,” a spokesman said. “These public servants are among the most overpaid and protected in Europe and yet they repeatedly opt for the strike weapon as a first, rather than a last resort. “The solution to this problem is simple: remove their right to strike in exactly the same way that air traffic controllers in the USA are prevented by law from striking.” Travel group Abta said the industrial action was “deeply regrettable” and “penalises holidaymakers”.
The strike follows plans by the European Commission, which drafts EU laws, to overhaul European aviation.
It estimates inefficiencies in the way Europe’s air traffic is managed add 42km (26 miles) to the average flight, so it wants to centralise air-traffic controls, rather than leave each member state to monitor its own skies.

The commission says this could triple the region’s airspace capacity, cut costs and reduce delays.
But the controllers say the Single European Sky (SES) project will affect public safety and their working conditions.
Today’s third and final day of industrial action was called off yesterday, but the knock on effects of the two day strike will mean delays will continue until the weekend, as airlines try to clear the back log.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:13

We were delayed at Palma airport for over 3 hours on Tuesday and then sat on the plane waiting for a slot, and then a detour to avoid the French air traffic chaos - now I am stuck with a Jet2 horrid cold - due I am sure to the length of time on the plane and the recycled germs Feeling grumpy today

Trip report to follow soon

(But it was a lovely holiday and great to meet Sparky at at last)
Old 14-06-2013, 13:17
Super Moderator

Oh Rosie you poor thing , i hope you soon feel better. It was lovely to meet you too .