Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   what`s in Alcudia (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/9330-what-s-alcudia.html)

wilcoxon 11-09-2012 23:18

what`s in Alcudia

I want to visit Alcudia from Pollensa, and will go by bus, if I get off at the old town walls, and have a walk round , what is there for me to see apart from the Roman remains.
When I`ve spent some time in that area, is it worth me carrying on to the beach, how far way is it, and which part is the nicest to go.
Quietest with no screaming kids :D and safe for a swim.

Does the bus carry on along the same route from the stop in the old town.

Thanks.

pescador2009 12-09-2012 00:25

There is Alcudia, Puerto Alcudia and Playa Muro. All differ and all are completely different to PP. Try 'googling' Alcudia. There is lots of info and various guides.
The bus service from PP runs right through to C'an Picafort and you can see the vista change as you go. From the beauty of the Bay of Pollensa, through 'the masses' in Alcudia and onto the slightly 'down market' (compared with PP) resort of C'an Picafort.
I was somewhat surprised when I saw C'an P as it always looked quite decent in holiday brochures. Alcudia / Playa Muro has got magnificent sandy beaches and shallow sea ideal for children and swimming, etc., but can be very busy depending what parts you choose. Good luck in your explorations, there are good parts as well as the not so good.
Going north from PP there is the wonderful beach at Formentor which can be reached by car, bus or boat from PP marina.

andrew711 12-09-2012 07:31

In the old town, you can do a walk around the walls, most of the walk raised up on the Cami Ronda on the walls themselves.

Smaller and quieter beaches are at San Pedro in Mal Pas, Morer Vermell, S'Illot (which is on the way to the hermitage of La Victoria in the mountains to the north of the town) and Alcanada which is out of the port of Alcudia by about four kilometres.

Playa de Muro's beach changes between the busy and the very quiet, its "rustic" beach before you get to Can Picafort is two kilometres of unspoilt beach backed by dunes and forest and is generally always quiet; it is still very sandy and the sea shallow.

smg 12-09-2012 08:44

if you do get as afar as C'an Picafort, the necropolis at Son Real is always worth a visit, about 3/4 mile walk from the torrent

wilcoxon 12-09-2012 09:07

thanks, but bearing in mind I will be on a bus, then travelling between PP / Alcudia old/ Alcidia port / ca`n Picafort destinations will probably take too long .
It will just be Alcudia, so what I really wanted to know is where the bus route travels and where is the best place to get off.
i`m guessing the route runs through the places you`ve mentioned.

I stayed in ca`n Picafort, over 30 years ago, but never saw the necropolis, but back then I was more interested in the bars and beaches than local history . Is it Roman ?
Thanks

Sparky 12-09-2012 09:17

You can view the route here :- TIB - Route 352: Can Picafort - Port de Pollen

smg 12-09-2012 13:27

Son Real much older, no buildings as such, rock-cut tombs

Son Real Necropolis Barrow Cemetery : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map:

pollensa 12-09-2012 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 76026)
You can view the route here :- TIB - Route 352: Can Picafort - Port de Pollen

If you look at the map of the route - you can zoom in - you'll get a good idea of locations & distances too.

Mark 12-09-2012 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by smg (Post 76035)
Son Real much older, no buildings as such, rock-cut tombs

Son Real Necropolis Barrow Cemetery : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map:

Thanks for that, we have never been there and will now try to find it in October.:)

found it on google maps:
Click here- Google Maps

not sure where to park to walk to it....probably somewhere near hotel Son Baulo and walk along the coast if it is possible although it looks like cliffs near it ?

Hotel son baulo - Google Maps

wilcoxon 12-09-2012 15:21

Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash
Alcudia

Son Real.

I find Flash earth much better that Google maps, I have picked two places, then set as permament link.

I`m not sure about Alcudia, am I in the right spot for the Roman old part.

Feel free to take a walk around and link me anything of interest.
Is the bus stop at Alcudia town by the walls entrance.
Thank you .

alcanadakid 12-09-2012 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew711 (Post 76020)
In the old town, you can do a walk around the walls, most of the walk raised up on the Cami Ronda on the walls themselves.

Smaller and quieter beaches are at San Pedro in Mal Pas, Morer Vermell, S'Illot (which is on the way to the hermitage of La Victoria in the mountains to the north of the town) and Alcanada which is out of the port of Alcudia by about four kilometres.

Playa de Muro's beach changes between the busy and the very quiet, its "rustic" beach before you get to Can Picafort is two kilometres of unspoilt beach backed by dunes and forest and is generally always quiet; it is still very sandy and the sea shallow.

Alcanada is less than that, just a 20 min walk or about 1.5km from the Port.

Mark 12-09-2012 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilcoxon (Post 76040)
Alcudia

I`m not sure about Alcudia, am I in the right spot for the Roman old part.

The link is correct for entrance to the roman ruins.

We where surprised that some children climb on the old ruins and their parents dont stop them, in England the National Trust would have this all roped off with wardens watching out....

Some people dont find the ampitheatre as it is a short walk away along a winding path.

link here, zoom out and scroll to find to the part from your link to get your bearings.

a few pictures found on flickr: ( NOT my pictures)
Luke and Isaac at Roman amphitheatre Alcudia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

google images:
amphitheatre alcudia - Google Search

smg 12-09-2012 20:36

not sure where to park to walk to it....probably somewhere near hotel Son Baulo and walk along the coast if it is possible although it looks like cliffs near it ?

yes, just follow the coast, no cliffs, graves go right into the sea, flat walk, but take your own refreshments...a very atmospheric spot

it you're into prehistory, have you seen have you been to Ses Paisses, near Arta, a fantastic prehistoric village, & the caves at Cala San Vicente?

lots of pics for all on google images

wilcoxon 13-09-2012 09:10

Thank you Mark, you`re right I wouldn`t have found it, can you tell me how far it is to walk from Alcudia Old town down to the harbour. Flash Earth doesn`t have distances on it, and sometimes can be a bit deceving.

Cami de la Solada, to roundabout, then Autopista Palma, then turn off , seems the most direct route. is it safe to walk along, with pavements ?
Thanks.

alcanadakid 13-09-2012 09:37

To walk from the old town to the Port would take about 20-30 minutes