Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 13:47

Default Hidropark - No food rule

Just a word of warning to anyone who intends to visit the Hidropark in Alcudia this summer.

We have been going for years and have always taken some lunch in with us, usually some baguettes and crisps, as the food there tends to be rubbish.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and the staff went up and down the queue shouting to people that no food or drinks could be brought in at all. We did have some crips and small baguettes in my beach bag and my hubby (honest man that he is) took these out and put them back in the car and I was very glad he did. I was very shocked to see how thorough the Hidrpopark staff searched everybodies bags when going in. In some cases they made people remove all items from their bags, unroll towels etc. Anyone caught with food on their possession was made to feel like a petty criminal. Two young boys behind us in the queue were drinking from a very small bottle of water and they were ordered to throw this straight in the bin. The staff at the Park did not handle this well. I personally felt they were too intrusive in their search methods.

A rule is a rule and I understand that they have to make money but the food inside is so poor. They will really have to address this.

Interestingly later in the day a spanish family came and sat by us in the Park and what do you know. They opened up their back packs and out came their own tins of soft drink!!! The rules obviously didn't apply to them that day!

My advice, if you plan to go make sure you have a large breakfast that morning because if you don't want chips at lunch then you will go hungry!
Sponsored Links
Old 16-07-2010, 14:09

I think what might be happening here is as a consequence of the arrangement for unlimited access to the water park with the all-inclusive Club Mac resort next to it. It is made quite clear to Club Mac guests (all 2000 or so of them at maximum occupancy) that food and drink in the water park are not included under this arrangement, so you can probably guess that many will want to bring in stuff that they can get at the hotels. But the searching seems over the top. I'm due to see the park's manager on another matter, but will raise this with her as well.
Old 16-07-2010, 14:37

My advice would be to go somewhere else!

No one deserves to be treated in such a way. If people didn't go then they would have to change their attitude.
Sometimes it is easy to forget 'people are their stock'!
Old 16-07-2010, 16:17

The only good thing i could say about the Alcudia Hydropark is that it's conveniently situated for PP, end of! If ever a place needed some investment in infrastructure and staff then this is it. Do yourself a favour, try the ones on the south of the island, they are far superior. I know it's not always practical, but it's worth it!
Old 16-07-2010, 16:22

I agree Smiddy. Especially if you have a car. The island is quite small. It will only take about an hour or so to reach Santa Ponsa or Palma Nova and there is so much to offer there that is superior to the Alcudia Hydropark.
Old 16-07-2010, 16:23

Hi Smiddy. You are right, we use the Hidropark because of its proximity to PP but also because our kids are quite young and this Park suits them. Been to some of the ones in the South before but were a lot of Hens and Stags there then who all had to much to drink and the air was blue with some of their language.

When our family get older however I'm sure they will want the bigger slides and attractions of Aqualand etc.
Old 16-07-2010, 18:37

I have been to both the parks, the one in Alcudia is fine for smaller ones, the food is also fine, chips, but as a snack in between the rides it is fine, the one El Arenal is also great for older kids and grownups, never seen hens and stags there, maybe the one near Magaluf, once again basic food, has anyone been to that one this year to know if they are also banning food going in?

On island time!!
Old 17-07-2010, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
The only good thing i could say about the Alcudia Hydropark is that it's conveniently situated for PP, end of! If ever a place needed some investment in infrastructure and staff then this is it. Do yourself a favour, try the ones on the south of the island, they are far superior. I know it's not always practical, but it's worth it!
Agree 100% Smiddy. A few years ago my young son got slightly lost and ended up walking by the side of the stairs or ramp (can't remember which). It wasn't barriered off. Luckily I got to him quickly as the area behind there was like a building site and full of broken glass. He could easily have fallen from a great height.

As for the no food/drink "rule" it is ridiculous. I wouldn't give them the business especially as Jupiter said it looks like one rule for the locals and another for the tourists.

Adios

Dave
Old 17-07-2010, 10:43

Doubt if they actualy have the authority to demand to see what people have in their bags, are they policemen? If they rifled thru mine they'd be met with a knuckle sandwich

Last edited by Smiddy; 17-07-2010 at 10:49.
Old 18-07-2010, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Doubt if they actualy have the authority to demand to see what people have in their bags, are they policemen? If they rifled thru mine they'd be met with a knuckle sandwich
Very true but they do have the authority to refuse admission.
Old 18-07-2010, 22:34

Agree whaley but are they willing to turn down 80 euros or so for a family admission in the hope of getting 20 euros for food and drink. This policy is obviously to ensure they get some benefit from the free admissions. They want they want to have their cake and eat it!
Old 19-07-2010, 16:22

We also fell foul of this rule and were really annoyed by it, having spent time and money preparing our lunch to save cash beforehand. It is an expensive day out as it is without having to fork out another €30-40 on food for a family of four.
Another annoyance was the lockers - we only needed a small locker (price 1€) for keys and my wallet, but when I asked for one they asked if I was a MAC guest - i said I didn't know what he meant, but was told small lockers are only for MAC guests, and guess what, i had to pay €5 for a large locker I didn't need.
Their whole attitude really annoyed me and I will be going elsewhere next year.
We had the last laugh though, my wife took the food back to the car and was allowed back in without a search as the officials were busy, but she had actually kept everything with her and so we had our picnic inside after all.
I noticed that you could also send an advance party in first and then drop the bag of food over the wall round the side/back of the games room from the car park to foil them!!
Old 19-07-2010, 17:42

Oh well done! - Great fun to win the battle lol
Old 20-07-2010, 10:08

Sounds more like Colditz
Old 21-07-2010, 22:35

Went last year with the kids, trust me the food inside is absolutally dreadfull.It is an absolute disgrace, Jamie Oliver would have a field day. Avoid.