Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 20:05

Really enjoyed reading your posts Bella Glad you remembered to get dinosaur biscuits. I think I would be able to persuade OH to visit in November if there are motorbikes at the fira each year - does anyone know if this is the case?
Sponsored Links
Old 23-11-2010, 20:15

Fantastic report Bella......wish I was there right now! Hope you managed to get the clock
Old 25-11-2010, 21:30

Hey Bella

That was such a great post.....thank you.

I've only been out once in November, and it all seemed very quiet, but did enjoy it. Trouble is, we love the sun so much we tend to be "naughty" and swan off to the Canaries in the winter months.

You have whetted my appetite for some out of season action again!

Thanks.

Duncan
Old 25-11-2010, 22:16

Thanks for your comments guys!
I will be applying to the tourist board for commission for the increase in the tourists arriving next November I think!!
Old 26-11-2010, 19:13

Probably the best trip report for ages

Do you have any photos
Old 26-11-2010, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Probably the best trip report for ages

Do you have any photos
Totally agree Mark.
Bella has gone to so much trouble to allow us to be part of her holiday. An excellent report - just love the descriptive writing. Thanks Bella.
Old 26-11-2010, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Thanks all!
November must be one of the lovliest months if you are not looking for a sun tan - although some days are definitely warm enough, and we did actually see people in the sea!
Fantastic report Bella.

I have visited in October half term before which was great but in February it was damp and bitter at night.

Can I ask how you got on with the temperature and dampness? in the apartment. What heating did you use to keep cosy? Was the "Air Conditioning" enough or did you use other forms of heat. Do you have double Glazing?

Planning next November now!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 27-11-2010, 11:15

Hi Gordon.

I don't think we will ever visit in February again! Even our expat friends have problems in February.

However, to answer your questions.

We do not seem to have problems with the weather in November regarding the temp in the apartment.

The apartment is double glazed with 6mm - which is no where near as good as back in the uk, but its something and obviously helps.
We rely on our a/c / heating which is installed in all rooms so makes a huge difference.
In January, or for really cold snaps we do have a standby of a couple of oil filled radiators.
My curtains have also been thermally lined for two reasons - to keep the room dark for the early sun in the summer months as we wake up too early otherwise, and also obviously they help hold the heat in the winter.
Many apartments have their utility room with just slats - we have put double glazing in there as well!

Last year we had a problem with damp in one of the bedrooms which has its outside wall exposed to mountain winds. We had all the plaster removed - from inside - and a damp course membrane plaster put on and then painted with the anti damp paint which they use out there. Have to say this was extremely expensive but well worth it.

Hope this helps and see you next November!
Old 27-11-2010, 12:28

Mark - now you know about me and posting photos surely! I actually didnt take that many on the camera as I was trying out my new phone camera and dont know how to down load from it yet. But have tried to put a few that we did take onto flickr and hopefully the link will take you to them. If nothing else it shows how bright the weather was! Not many of them to show though for this November.

Flickr: Belladonna*'s Photostream
Old 27-11-2010, 13:30

Excellent photos Bella. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Also found your post re the prevention of damp interesting too!
Have a little in one of the villa bedrooms that we need to sort.
Old 27-11-2010, 14:41

Thanks for the info Bella.

PS the photos are great.

I need to get myself organised and post some more on my flickr. Where does the time go? Dreaming of PP!!

Thanks

My FlickR Photos
Old 29-11-2010, 12:50

Red face It's never the same back home!

Meanwhile back home, my own little grapevine has refused for the second year running to produce any grapes; my orange bush gave me one teeny bit of blossom which fell off leaving just a bush of green leaves; and my olive bush started the season with sextuplets which promptly reduced to triplets after a bad bit of pruning and now has left me with just one shriveled black olive which I have picked and dumped unceremoniously into a jar of other olives with the hope it may learn something!

My spanish arches which are painted white have flaked off, the gheko has cracked its tail (its not a real one by the way), and the squirrel knocked the tile off of the nail and it smashed.

On the up side; although the ensemada went stale, I turned it into a sort of bread and butter pudding and it was gorgeous!

There's a moral there somewhere I'm sure, but come next year I will attempt my little bit of Majorca in my garden all over again!
Old 29-11-2010, 12:55

The moral Bella is when in Rome - NOT!

You obviously didn't speak to them in their native language!! lol
Old 29-11-2010, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
but come next year I will attempt my little bit of Majorca in my garden all over again!
I grow garlic that was bought a few years ago from a Little old man in Pollensa old town sunday market, not from one of the stalls, just an old man on his bike that was at the very edge of the market near the cafes in the square. ( I prefer to support the locals whenever possible)

I have replanted some of this garlic for the third year now, it has acclimatised OK to Yorkshire weather and when we cook with it I think of Pollensa square and the old man on his bike

A picture taken with my mobile phone from July 2009 at our allotment which was the second year some had been replanted.( I think)

garlic by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

I was in trouble a few weeks ago as my wife could not find any garlic in the kitchen, I had planted it all one sunday morning at our allotment
We had to go and buy supermarket Garlic for the first time in ages.. must have been a poor crop this year as it normally lasts most of the winter.

Last edited by Mark; 29-11-2010 at 18:42. Reason: spelling !
Old 29-11-2010, 18:36

Mark this photograph is great! What a wonderful story too!

An excellent reminder of a beautiful place.