Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 11:32

Default Gardens near Soller

On holiday we usually take the car for a daytrip from PP to Soller. When we visit in May we were considering seeing either the Jardi Botanic just outside Soller, or the Alfabia Gardens.

As I am a wheelchair user I wondered if anyone could offer me any guidance as to whether either of these places are accessible, or if gradient/steps/deep gravel might make it difficult. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 13:29

Sorry I missed this Paulie or I would have replied, we have been to both and I would suggest the Alfabia Gardens is more wheelchair friendly.
I have a question on gardens as well, we want go to one we haven't been to before, possibly La Granja, Els Calderers or Raixa. I have seen the notes under excursions & Days out, I just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge and advice on any of them, thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2009, 15:28

We did la Granja a few years ago at easter. It is a lovely and fascinating old house showing what mallorcan gentry were all about in the old days! The gardens a lovely too, but quite small I recall - my son found several 4 leaf clover there and it was just before his GCSEs . It was fairly quiet to visit at easter.

GG
Old 07-07-2009, 15:51

Thanks GG, thats sounds just what we are looking for, easter must be a nice time to visit the gardens, we went to the Alfabia Gardens last year in August, it was 40c, so a bit hot to walk about much.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 20:49

Endorse good comments about La Granja - a firm favourite of ours

Fascinating manor house ( don't miss the dungeons ! )
displays of crafts ......... ranges from spinning to lace making to leather type work

Free wine to tase ( a bit hit and miss quality wise )

Free tasters of bunyolas and jams ( always a hit )

Also tasting of hams cheese etc

A few animals( not too great conditions I have to say )

A lovelly spanish horse dressage type display ( not sure which days )

And some gardens ...... which are definitely NOT suitable for wheelchair users

A nice little cafe at the entrance
Old 07-07-2009, 23:43

Default Raixa Gardens

SWS

We tried to go to the gardens at Raixa last year but they were closed. I have a feeling they changed ownership and a lot of building work was going on. I am not sure whether they were going to open again. Shame - they sounded well worth a visit in the guide book.

Surprisingly, given the climate, Mallorca does not seem well served by gardens.

Adios

Dave
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56

Thanks Dave, GG and cd, its sounds like it will be La Granja then, we like to do one touristy thing each year, and I love looking at the great villas and gardens. Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04

Unhappy

Dave, we too did the longish drive to Raixa gardens a fortnight ago and needless to say we were pretty annoyed to find it closed and looking overgrown, although there was still a signpost to it! I DO wish they would keep up with things that close!
Old 08-07-2009, 14:18

We went to Raixa a few years ago and it was in need of some serious tlc then. La Granja is great - lots of things to see and do. There is quite a lot of walking but it is worth it and the little Bunyolas that there serve up as you are leaving are lovely!
Old 08-07-2009, 16:31
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Dave, we too did the longish drive to Raixa gardens a fortnight ago and needless to say we were pretty annoyed to find it closed and looking overgrown, although there was still a signpost to it! I DO wish they would keep up with things that close!
I just found this info re Raixa

"It is currently closed to visits because it is undergoing a thorough remodelling and restoration. "

www.balearsculturaltour.es
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13

Thanks guys, it was lucky I asked, I could have had a wasted journey to Raixa, looks like it will be La Granja, if I go I will post a review.
Thanks again
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58

Looks like its back open again and probably well worth a visit, from the DB today.

FORMER MAJORCAN STATELY HOME HAS OPENED ITS DOORS TO THE PUBLIC
STAFF REPORTER

BUNYOLA
RAIXA
, former stately home in Bunyola and jewel of rural Majorcan architecture was officially opened to the public yesterday. The property can be visited free of charge every weekend until the end of the year from 10am to 2pm.

The occasion was attended by - amongst others - Ana Leiva, Central Government Environment Ministry director, and Francina Armengol, President of the Council of Majorca.

Originally of Islamic origin but later becoming the residence of Cardinal Despuig, the property was declared a cultural heritage site in 1993 because of its high historical, architectural and artistic value. A statement issued by Spain’s Environment Ministry said that the restoration of the buildings and gardens had been jointly undertaken by both central and regional governments.

However, said the statement, work remains ongoing at the estate with a second stage of reform having begun in 2003 which aims to convert Raixa into an environmental education centre. When complete, the installations will also provide a backdrop to local rural history, showing visitors how people in the Majorcan countryside lived and worked in a bygone era. Reform includes returning the gardens and surrounding agricultural buildings to their former glory.

But it is not just the house and grounds which go to make up the preserved country estate which covers a total of 520'000 square metres. Whilst 4'500 of these are accounted for by the historic buildings, the remainder consists of gardens, recreation areas and woodland.
Old 08-09-2009, 18:29

Thanks for the update SW. If I read the text correctly, the house has been refurbished but the grounds are still being restored. I would be keen to know if the gardens have been completed as I would like to visit when out in October.
From Bella's post it still looks like work in progress.

It's a long way to go to find the only the house open.

Adios

Dave
Old 08-09-2009, 18:37

Hi Dave
I would assume too its just the house at the moment, the article makes no mention of the grounds