Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 22:18

Default Golf

Hola,

First time post & nobody has mentioned the golf !

I like to play a round everywhere I go (not a briiliant golfer) but it's a tick in the box....I know Pollensa is a 9 hole course but is it any good ?

I've checked the course at alcudia but that is doing something with their greens so i don't want to play that....

I arrive next sunday 8 sleeps & will postmore as I have been lurking for the last few months !!

ps

love the webcam but where is it ? ie beside what pub/cafe in PP?

Thanx I will be sending loads of posts cos i have a lot of questions !
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27
Super Moderator

Webcam is in Barnard Hamilton office along from Corb Mari restaurant. Just before the Pinewalk.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:54

Bring plenty of Euro's!
Old 09-08-2008, 14:09

Default Pinereto

Alcanada is a long 18-holer with green fees of around 100 euros and, as you say, is currently renewing its greens. I play Pollensa Golf 25 or 30 times a year. It is not a long course but is does call for accuracy off the tee. It has some quite narrow fairways and hazards include water, boulder areas and some fabulous old trees. The views all around the course are stunning and that from the ninth tee is as good as any I have seen. The clubhouse is friendly with wonderful views towards the Bay of Pollensa. As I recall the nine-hole fee is about 45 euros but discounts are available for block bookings. Hope this helps. PS: the greens are quite interesting; aim to land below the hole anything above requires the deftest of touches to prevent the ball running staright off the green.

Last edited by Pinereto; 09-08-2008 at 14:12.
Old 09-08-2008, 14:40

A group of 8 of our friends played Pollensa Golf Club last year in September. It was all pre-booked beforehand by emailing the club who were very quick at replying and answering any questions we had.

We decided to do 18 holes (i.e. twice around the 9 holes) and started early in the morning. In all honnesty if we were to go again we would only play the 9 holes once as the heat was just too much, even in September. Although you can hire golf carts which looking back we should have done.

Our group had various golfing abilities and everyone enjoyed it. The only one thing I would warn about is the mosquitos which bit some of our group quite badly ! So mosquito repellant is a must!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:54

The phone number for the course is: (+34) 971 53 32 16 if you wanted to book. enjoy.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:48

Default golf

Does the work at Alacanada mean the greens are unplayable? Are they using winter greens? I'm out in two weeks and was hoping to play.
Old 11-08-2008, 16:18

My user name will tell you that I am a keen Alcanada golfer! The course at Alcanada is operating on winter greens (and reduced green fees) until the 1st October. I'm not surprised they have decided to replace the old greens - I was out there in February and they were awful.

Pollensa is good fun - the 9th hole is one of the best holes you will find anywhere.

There are about 20 courses on the island now. I'm working my way through them!!
Old 11-08-2008, 18:39

Default golf

Thanks Alcanada,

Where's the next best 18 hole course you'd recommend within an hour or so drive?
Old 11-08-2008, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcanada View Post
My user name will tell you that I am a keen Alcanada golfer! The course at Alcanada is operating on winter greens (and reduced green fees) until the 1st October. I'm not surprised they have decided to replace the old greens - I was out there in February and they were awful.

Pollensa is good fun - the 9th hole is one of the best holes you will find anywhere.

There are about 20 courses on the island now. I'm working my way through them!!
Hi Alcanada, could you perhaps give a quick review of the courses you have played on the island? I have played Pollnsa, Alcanada and Son Vida but have heard mixed reports on some others. Whats your experiences?
Old 11-08-2008, 20:46

Gracias Gents,

Think i''l just play Pollensa to start with (& i'll take my camera but i always do) & anybody wants a 2 ball ready when you r....16 H'cap..Thanks for the help
Old 11-08-2008, 23:46

Graham/Rab - because of the motorway most of the golf is an hour away or so. The course at Son Gual is one of the best I have ever seen anywhere but green fee is about 150 Euros which is a lot by any standards. Canyamel near Arta is a favorite of mine, fantastic greens, reasonable green fee but in season (Oct) is full of very slow golfers who will happily take 6 hours to get round. There's a Nicklaus course at Puntiro that I'm playing this October - and will let you know how it goes later! I love Alcanada, especially the second nine, but as I said earlier they are still sorting the greens out. Son Termens is very enjoyable too, not as busy as some of the others and there are some funky holes on the back nine that will get your attention!

Last edited by Alcanada; 11-08-2008 at 23:56.
Old 13-08-2008, 11:25

The best value course in the North of the island is Capdapera. It's on the mainroad between Arta and Cala Rajada about 50 mins from Pollensa. Its my favourite course as well, having played Alcanada, Pollensa and Son Termens for the last 6 years or so. Its quite long with 5 par 5's, the first 12 holes built on flat land with quite a few water hazards( most of which you play around not over !!) the last 6 holes go up into the mountains. It's challenging but I'm a high handicapper and have had lots of fun playing it. The fee this summer was 52 Euro's for 18 holes, which makes it much cheaper than Pollensa and Alcanada. We always get a buggy and always go for an 8am teee time to help cope with the heat. The Buggy is about 30 Euros. I have walked the course and its no more challenging than most courses at home although there are a few uphill strolls on the final holes !! I always book (telephone 971 81 85 00/email info@golfcapdepera.com) but I'm sure its never so busy you couldn't walk up and play on the day. They hire out clubs but only have a few left hand sets.

Pollensa is a lovely 9 hole course but not very forgiving if you stray. Both capdepera and alcanada have fairways next to each other that help if you have a bad slice !! This summer Pollensa was 40 Euros for 9 holes and 70 euros for 18. Alcanada is by far the most expensive but because of the greens we gave it a miss this year.

Son Termens is near Bunyola( 971 617 862/Golfsontermens@terra.es). The course is beautifully designed with imaculate fairways and greens. It's built like capdepera with early holes on flat and by water and the later holes up in the mountains. Its quite short and narrow so be prepared to lose lots of balls but really interesting and a fabulous stroll which probably proves Mark Twains view that Golf is a good walk spoilt !!! Cost of 18 holes is about 70 Euros.

Given the number of times I've got soaked in the last few weeks on my home golf courses I envy you whichever course you decide to play !!!

Regards

Chelseadons
PS I'm using Debz1 because i can't remember my own password its been so long since I've been on !!!!

Last edited by debz1; 13-08-2008 at 11:32. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 13-08-2008, 18:17

I also like Capdepera, it does get very busy in October/November though and it can be very slow to get round. Pula is another course in the Arta area and is a very good and demanding test of golf but expensive. It's where they've played professional events like the Turespana Masters.

I haven't played so many courses in the Palma area and on the west of the island but Poniente is ok. I would definitely not go back to Bendinat - expensive and in poor condition.

Some of the others I haven't yet played:
Son Vida
Son Quint
Son Muntaner
Andraitx
Santa Ponsa
Llucmayor
Puntiro (playing this in October as I said above)

Any views on these would be welcome!
Old 13-08-2008, 21:59

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcanada View Post
I also like Capdepera, it does get very busy in October/November though and it can be very slow to get round. Pula is another course in the Arta area and is a very good and demanding test of golf but expensive. It's where they've played professional events like the Turespana Masters.

I haven't played so many courses in the Palma area and on the west of the island but Poniente is ok. I would definitely not go back to Bendinat - expensive and in poor condition.

Some of the others I haven't yet played:
Son Vida
Son Quint
Son Muntaner
Andraitx
Santa Ponsa
Llucmayor
Puntiro (playing this in October as I said above)

Any views on these would be welcome!

Is the marriot one beyond the airport Son Vida or Sona Antem? I played it at the start of the year and it was in great nick. Well worth the 25 euros I bunged the starter.