Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   planetarium at costitx (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/3540-planetarium-costitx.html)

liz d 19-07-2008 19:00

planetarium at costitx

Hi All,

I notice Mr fussy mentioned the planetarium at costitx (Good review Mr Fussy).
Has anybody been here? My main questions are:-

How far is it from PP

Is the narrative always in spanish and is it worth it if your spanish is very limited?

Is the viewing afterwards good in September (ie is it dark enough to view?)

Also how long does the planetarium display last and how long is the session in the observatory?

Thanks
LIZ
:D

ann 20-07-2008 10:31

planetarium

see the website www.mallorcaplanetarium.com/ingles

frito 20-07-2008 11:22

Planetarium Web site

I think that the English web-site for the Planetarium is

www.mallorcaplanetarium.com/ingles.htm

Cheers!

Frito

liz d 20-07-2008 14:39

Website is good and has a contact e-mail too!

Thanks for help.

Liz

TheFussies 20-07-2008 15:35

Liz D
The planetarium show on the night I was there was to be in spanish, I didn't know that when I arrived but as I'm an amatuer astronomer that didn't matter. The girl who conducts the show, has reasonable english for what is a technical subject, warned me of the fact before it started just in case I wanted to come back for an english show. If you emailed them I sure they would give you information on the nights of english shows. Just to confuse things the show was in spanish but as all the other visitors that night were locals the guide spoke in majorquini. However if you are keen to go I'd go any night Thursday to Saturday, its well signposted from Costitx and costs 15euros. From Porto Pollensa I drove there in about 20-25 minutes. As well as the planetarium show you also get an opportunity to view through a telescope sky conditions permitting. So if going during summer go when the moon is visible in the evening sky or if in August or September Jupiter should be available for viewing. It starts at 8:00pm and finishes sometime between 9:30 and 10:00. If you have any questions I'll try and answer them.

liz d 21-07-2008 18:34

Thanks Mr Fussy, you answered all my questions. I've emailed to see if any english showings are on during our holiday.

This will be a great trip for my boyfriend (and me too) he is also an amatuer astronomer. He has a celestron nexstar 8se, and i'm sure he would bring it with him if it fitted in his suitcase.

This should be a good star gazing fix for our 10 days in Puerto p.

Thanks again.

Liz:)

TheFussies 21-07-2008 21:18

Liz D,
I'd recommend you contact them I did about 6 years ago and obtained a special tour of main observatory skies that night were excellent. To be honest its not the best place for viewing in the summer as its on the flight path to Palma Airport, aircraft pass over every 10-15 minutes. After midnight many of the local villages put out their street lights and then its spectacular. Witner is apparently best as there's litle night time traffic. For viewing I'd recommend hiring a car and going along the Formentor lighthouse road. There are a number of number of parking places, virtually no traffic and very dark skies. Hope you enjoy