Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 13:16

Default Itinerary for a trip to Soller

hi Guys,

I just wanted to get confirmation i'll be barking up the right tree when i do my DIY trip to soller. Heres my plan.

Get a bus to Palma from PP bus station. Linger in palma for a while. Get the old train (the tourist one i think) from palmer. The train station is round the corner from the bus station (can anyone confirm this?). Then fomr soller, have a mingle and get the tram down to puerto soller.

Same again for the trip back (unless there are alternatives)

Does that sound right? I assume a DIy trip is cheaper than booking an excursion?

Many thanks

Lee
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 14:50
Founder

Hi Lee,

sounds fine although I don't think you'll have much time in Palma to look around.

An alternative return is the bus back from Puerto Soller either direct to Puerto Pollensa or to Palma as then get to go through some of the mountain villages - do see the info at http://www.puertopollensa.com/excursions-majorca.html
Old 11-06-2008, 16:03

Thanks for the reply.

Is it a bit of a rushed day for this trip then? I was hoping to get palma in at the same time but then again, dont want to be rushing around.

Lee
Old 11-06-2008, 16:16
Founder

Lee,

if you look at the timings it takes at least an hour to get to Palma, the tourist train leaves around 10:50 & includes a stop for photos so I should think that takes an hour?. You then arrive in Soller & look around - maybe have lunch. Then the Tram to Puerto Soller (30 mins maybe) & if you get the bus back I think it goes at 3pm or 3:30 so I'm not sure when you would 'fit in' Palma. You could spend at least a day in Palma specially if you try the Open Top bus etc.

There's no need to rush - just enjoy the day!
Old 11-06-2008, 18:50

I agree, it's definately two full day trips, both very different, both very good.
Soller and Puerto soller are truely wonderfull places with good places for coffee or lunch. It is a great place to chill out. Palma is fabulous for shopping, visiting the cathedral and the open top bus.

It is cheaper to go by bus and an adventure too! However, there is a company called no frills (who advertise on this site) who over good value coach trips, which are no hassel, english speaking and stop at interresting places en-route, they even do an evening trip to Palma (i can almost taste the tapas and rioja!!!)

I tend to stick to the busses for shorter trips (pollensa, formentor etc) and let someone else sort out the day trips!

What ever you choose, i'm sure you'll love both places.

Liz
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08

Why not stay overnight in Soller? It is such a pretty place. The main square is lovely - lots of interesting restaurants/bars and some fantastic shops. I have said it before but after Pollensa (port and old town), Soller is one of my favourite places.
There are lots of small hotels around the main square - not sure what prices are like but it would probably be more relaxing and give you time to enjoy both Soller and Palma.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:53

If you do want to do it in a day then as the bus that returns from Pto Soller leaves mid afternoon you would have to get to Palma early and would not have much time there. You are better off going to Pto Soller first and returning via Soller to Palma and then train/bus to PP as you can return in evening. If you have a look at the thread on The Reputable Excursion Company thread that you started - I listed the approximate timings. But do check timetables in the relevant section on the forum.

Enjoy your holiday.
Old 12-06-2008, 19:43

If staying is something you fancy, check this place out

http://www.lavilahotel.com/
Old 12-06-2008, 20:20

Hi Liz,

Thanks for sharing that with us...looks amazing...feel a visit coming on!!! Know it isn't PP but maybe worth a little couple of nights added on to the holiday...I love Soller too!!
Old 12-06-2008, 20:35

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not going to stop over on this instance. We're only there for a week so want to cram as much in as possible. We're on a budgit as well pending a new driveway so every penny counts!
Old 13-06-2008, 16:20

We did just this trip last year. Bus to Palma - Train to Sóller - and then bus back over the mountains to PP. As far as I can remember there is only the one bus direct to PP from Sóller and it leaves at about 3.10pm. The bus stop in Sóller takes a bit of finding but the trip back was fantastic. It doesn't leave a lot of time to sightsee though but the experience was well worth it.
Old 13-06-2008, 17:58

Smile Trip To Soller

If you manage to get to Port de Soller, there is a great little museum. It's called Museum de la Mar (The Museum of The Sea). It's based in an old oratory, and is a nice way to spend a few minutes away from the hustle of the Port. It's on a hill to the right as you look out to sea.

Cheers!

Frito
Old 04-07-2008, 23:00

Probably not sufficient time for the OP, but worth a visit sometime for any gardeners out there. Soller has a very nice, if small, botanical gardens. On the main road from the Port towards the Palma tunnel (at the Palma end of the road.

Two good places for lunch in town. The rooftop restaurant of the Soller Gran Hotel - great views. And a great little very casual place on the Calle de la Luna - called C'an Gato (and, yes, they have cats) - they only serve a menu del dia with a couple of choices but great value at something like €7 (as at last year).
Old 04-07-2008, 23:06
Super Moderator

Did you eat cat. Only joking
Old 05-07-2008, 08:54

If anyone ventures to Soller I would recommend Cafe Soller for lunch. It is in the main Square and has great pasta dishes at very reasonable prices. The tomato, basil & mozzarella penne is brilliant. This can be followed by an ice-cream in the famous ice-cream shop just off the Square (don't know the name but you will spot the queues!).