Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   romantic ideas/places !! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/201-romantic-ideas-places.html)

Debilicious 21-03-2006 19:16

romantic ideas/places !!

hi there, ( ive reposted here as think I was in wrong forum, sorry... new to this...almost )

As this forum has been so helpful, im asking more questions !!
I realise from this site that P.P seems like a very special resort. This will be our first holiday together, so am looking for any special places anyone knows about, for the perfect day/evening ! Any little spots, off the beaten track, perfect little coves, romantic spots for the perfect sunset etc !! romantic spots to visit, with stunning scenery, maybe wild animals...lol...via car or bike, as will be hiring both !! i want romance, in adundance, with a big wow factor !!!

Debs

HikerBiker 22-03-2006 14:23

OK, Debilicious, here it goes:

I was in PP last September. There is a small pebbly/rocky beach, in a cove, called Cala Murta. Take the winding road up into Formentor. A few miles up, just before the crowded main beach, you will see a hand-written sign on your right that says "Cala Murta." Park your car on the other side of the road, on the grassy (sometimes muddy) shoulder.

Cross the road, go through the gate (pedestrian entrance is on the right of the imposing gate that says "Forbidden" etc.) You will take the first path on your left, around the perimeter of a summer camp. Walk about a mile or so. It's a pleasant walk, paved path, terraces, palm and citrus trees, flowers, chirping birds, the sound of bells from nearby goats and some of the biggest mules I've ever seen. (I'd say "jack asses," but in The States that term is usually reserved for politicians.)

After a few twists and turns, you're at the beach, in a beautiful, isolated cove, will pine-studded coral cliffs on each side. If one or two other couples show up, it will be a lot. Maybe a distant boat will anchor in the cove. Bring a few bottles of wine, a cork screw, a picnic lunch, spf 40 sunblock, a blanket and flip-flops for each of you-- as the beach is quite rocky. If you can get your hands on a portable air mattress, bring that too! After some wine, wear your flip-flops and wade into the Med.

If you're lucky, it will be sunny, the water will be warm, and continuous hypnotic ripples (too small to call them "waves") will lap towards you in a rhythmic cadence while you enjoy the buzz from your wine. You will see plenty of small fish and some outcrops of coral.

(If you're *really* lucky, you'll be alone, and you'll do as you please! ;-)

Enjoy!

PS: There's also a self-locking portable restroom, one of those green thingies.

Debilicious 22-03-2006 18:20

Re: Thanks

Cheers hikerbiker,

sounds perfect !! not sure about the inflatable mattrass tho !! but we do have a strong inflatable couch, which may find its way into the case... ;-)

Thanks for your detailed response, any other places you think of, do let me know. Any nice, not too expensive restaurants you know off ?? etc.....thanks again...i cant wait :D

Debs

beachbaby 22-03-2006 22:11

Romantic ideas

Debs

Perfect day out would be a trip into the mountains.

To avoid meeting coaches on hairpin bends start early!

We usually get into the foothills by 9am ish and amble as far down the coast as the mood takes us.

Perfect stopping places are the reservoirs beyond the tunnels where you will find total tranquillity, fish in the water, birds and goats.
Stop at the restaurant/cafe overlooking Port Soller where you can get freshly squeezed orange juice or a coffee and take in the mountain air, the superb views and listen (depending on when you go) to the cicadas and the bells around the necks of the goats in the valley below. We usually have the place to ourselves and you can't get much more romantic than that! I can smell and hear it all now!
Get to the monastery at Lluc, browse around Soller itself.
All along the coast road are many places to just stop and take in the atmosphere.
Do this during the morning and you will think there is nobody else on the island
Valdemossa is a must and a great place to have something for lunch.
Take your time and enjoy!
Really envious - not going to PP this year!
maybe next
Don't think I will have given any secrets away as most forum members have probably done the same.

Have fun :)

Steve

Belladonna 22-03-2006 23:24

Re: Romantic ideas

What about La Victoria up the Mal Pas road (AM I right here?) I think its one of the best restaurants to see the sunset from. Try to get up there early - before 7 - to grab a terrace table. You can see the fishing boats come back in, their lights twinkling, and if its not too cloudy, the sun set is gorgeous over the mountains! - also there are often cute little kittens playing around the other side of the barrier! :)

Debilicious 22-03-2006 23:29

Thanks a lot Steve,

Ive never been to P.P, but am really, really looking forward to it, thanks to everyones advise, and detailed reports...fab !!

Is there only one entrance to the mountain, we are staying on pine walk, but i assume its not far, or difficult !!

sorry your not going this year !!! but i will have a jug of sangria, on your behalf :p ...kiddin !!

thanks again

Debs

Debilicious 22-03-2006 23:36

cheers Belladonna,

Ive made a note of the restaurant, its exactly what i wanted, !!! im gonna check it on google now... i really cant wait, going 18th May, so shouldnt be cloudy...im now worried i am biggin' the place up too much, in my own mind !!!! destined to be disappointed... but i doubt it, as seems perfect for us !! if you think of any others, in or out of P.P as we will have a car !! do let me know...cheers

Debs

fitzge 23-03-2006 03:03

THE MOUNTAINS STEVE WAS TALKING ABOUT ARE THE ONES ON THE WEST OF THE ISLAND .THEY RUN ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE SOUTH. THERE ARE SOME BEAUTIFUL PLACES TO STOP AND LOOK. THE ROADS ARE NARROW AND VERY WINDING, HAVE BREAKFAST BEFORE YOU GO!WATCHOUT FOR CYCLISTS AND GOATS.POLLENSA OLD TOWN IS A NICE PLACE TO WONDER AROUND IN THE EVENING.GO TO THE MARKET ON SUNDAY MORNING CAN BE BUSY JUST SIT IN A CAFE AND WATCH THE LOCALS.
I DONT THINK YOU WILL BE DISAPOINTED WITH THE ISLAND WE CAME AND BOUGHT 3 YEARS AGO. THE LAST TIME I CAME HERE BEFORE THAT WAS WHEN I WAS A KID OF 10!
JANE

Debilicious 23-03-2006 19:16

thanks Jane,

In your opinion is this too far for walking, what method of transport do you suggest for this trip, foot or bike !

Debs

Debilicious 23-03-2006 19:20

Hi again jane,

So is the entrance for this walk, in Puerto pollensa, or do we have to travel to start it, so im a bit confused !! with you saying there in the west!

thanks

debs

fitzge 23-03-2006 21:18

YOU NEED THE CAR FOR THIS ONE. THE MOUNTAINS GO FROM POLLENSA DOWN THE WEST SIDE OF THE ISLAND. THERE ARE MANY PLACES TOWALK AND HAVE PICNICS. THE LOCALS GO ON SUNDAYS FOR B.B.Q AND PICNICS.CHECK OUT WALKING AND CYCLING ON THE LEFT OF WEB PAGE.
JANE

Debilicious 23-03-2006 22:52

thanks alot jane

Belladonna 23-03-2006 23:36

Hi Deb, hope this doesnt get posted twice as I seem to be having some trouble today! Anyway, i was wrong about the road up to La Victoria - its towards Bon Aire and well signposted. La Victoria is actually a chapel witha monastry and the restaurant is up some lovely old steps to the side. You wont be disappointed! :)

Debilicious 24-03-2006 00:56

I found it, thanks, looking forward to it !!

D :D

beachbaby 25-03-2006 05:22

Debs

The mountain range is called the "Serra de Tramantana" (hope I spelt this OK)
It stretches all the way from the North down the western side of the island .
The "way in" so to speak, is to follow the Pollenca road from PP until you come to a roundabout on the outskirts of Pollenca. Go straight across and just follow your nose! There a few places where you can decide to cross country and head back if you need to and if you don't fancy the return trip you can always head back on the Motorway! Yuk
The size of the mountains will take your breath away - these are not hills! All made of limestone and the shapes are fascinating.
Enjoy!;)

Steve