Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   Good Excursions by Bicycle (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/195-good-excursions-bicycle.html)

HikerBiker 29-05-2006 03:43

Good Excursions by Bicycle

Rode today from Siller to Alcudia Penninsula, appx 27 km round trip, ups and downs (up to 600 feet, not as challenging as Formentor Penninsula would be). Very scenic ride, paralleling the coast almost the entire way. In the heat of the day returning to PP, I found out that the most important Spanish word is Cervesa LOL Parasailors and windsurfers galore in The Bay. Also stopped at a nice place called Mirador de la Victoria. Beautiful here :D

HikerBiker 29-05-2006 05:09

PS When out riding, use a high spf sunscreen, and in dowtown PP and Alcudia, watch out for suddenly opening car doors. If you have the choice, ride on the walkway or bicycle lane, not in the main road. Otherwise, as they say in Spanish, ten cuidado, the roads can be peligroso at times.

jiggy 29-05-2006 07:42

Hi Hiker
Still on your GT?, It's like everywhere, cycling is a dangerous sport! I get cut up at least twice a week:eek

Drivers:rolleyes who,d have them:lol

have a good hol

jiggy:D

Snowy 29-05-2006 15:06

Jiggy it would help if you did not wear a blue shirt try changing to another colour mate, may help a little.

Enjoy

Snowy

HB keep up the good work and keep the flag flying for USA,

:\

Belladonna 29-05-2006 19:11

I do fear for all you cyclists. We came across a horrid accident whilst travelling back from Es Guix last year on the way back down the mountain. It had only just happened and I felt absolutely awful for the rest of the holiday. When ever we go anywhere near cyclists I make sure that we slow right down and that we overtake by driving virtually on the hard shoulder on the other side of the road! However, I do get a little annoyed when cyclists persist in riding 2 or even 3 abreast in groups. I know it would make the line very long to ride single file - perhaps there needs to be gap between a set number of bikes for cars to "hop" between safely? Best roads of course are the ones that have the cycle lanes, but they are few and far between once you get off the main tracks. Be careful out there!!

jiggy 30-05-2006 08:09

Hi Bella
dont get me wrong, there are as many idiot cyclists on the road as there are drivers, (loads of idiots:eek ) I cycle to work everyday, and would not dream of riding on the pavement or shoot red lights (well, hardly ever;) ) and there should be alot more cycle paths, but some drivers just dont seem to respect cyclists. i,m always getting cut up or they speed past me by 2 inches:eek

Oh no!, what have i started, a cyclists v drivers war, pollensa will not be happy:eek :eek :lol

HikerBiker 31-05-2006 00:51

Hi Jiggy,
My GTīs at home. I rented a Trek here. Yesterday, I rode into Pollensa (the old town). Another bicyclist speeding down a narrow street made a wide turn and nearly plowed into me, so I share your sentiments. PS Aside from being careless, he wasnīt even wearing a helmet, nor did he apologize. Today I rode to CSV. The red flags were out, the waves were very scary but the stunning cliff and mountain views were well worth the ride.

jiggy 31-05-2006 02:48

Hi Hiker
It must be beautiful riding thru the countryside in PP, (dont know about the zig-zaging road to Formentor tho:eek :eek :eek

Are you touring the coast, or staying in PP?

Either way, have a great time:D

p.s. trek, nice bike as well.

Linzzzz 31-05-2006 03:30

When I was in PP in April there were cyclists EVERYWHERE - HUNDREDS of them - there must be a road race or something at that time of year. It seemed to be all nationalities - anyone know what it was?

Snowy 31-05-2006 05:13

Hiker how's the BSA standing up OK I hope.

;)