Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-2007, 01:20

Default Albercutx

I'm sure I previously read a post about this from Chris Lox, but the view from Albercutx is the most stunning view of the island I have ever seen. We had an early evening drive up there, on a beautiful sunny day. If you stand right up near the tower you feel on top of the world with very nearly a 360 degree view all around. Not for the faint hearted! But how fantastic to have this on the doorstep of PP, and I've always driven straight past!
Sponsored Links
Old 13-06-2007, 03:12

Sandy - this is our first time with a car and we are keen to explore. Can you please give directions? Thanks, Lala
Old 13-06-2007, 15:38

Go up the Formentor Road to the Mirador point where there are lots of parking spaces on the left, and a few on the right. Its usually very busy. There is a turning on the right where the parking spots are. Drive past the cars up the narrow road. You can see the tower on the top of the hill. Its not very far but quite hairy. The road winds up for a small while (sorry - not very good with distance! ? mile or so ?) Right near the top is a small turnaround area where a few cars can park, or also on the road before you reach the area. That was the bit that did for me, there are hardly any barriers, and you have to keep the car in tight! You then walk further up the road and round the corner to the tower. A few cars drove the extra distance, and you can turn around in a very tight space at the top, but the road is narrow with no barrier whatsoever and a VERY long drop! I certainly wouldn't attempt it. When you gvet up there, the view is fantastic.
Old 13-06-2007, 15:47

LOL! :rollin Thanks Sandy - and for the warning! I'll make sure hubby is driving that day! Lala
Old 13-06-2007, 15:54

Even better is to park at the Mirador and walk up to the tower. The views are stunning all the way up and you have plenty of time to enjoy them. The walk is very easy - we sometimes take a quick walk up at the end of the day to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Don't try it on a Sunday though as it is a part of the speed driving circuit for all the Spanish!!

We keep hoping that a barrier will be put over the end of the road to stop cars and leave it free for cyclists and walkers.
Old 13-06-2007, 22:50

I did this early one morning to see the sun come up. Absolutely wonderful, but if you do this, take a jumper even in the summer as it's pretty chilly before sunrise
Old 13-07-2007, 22:45

Well Sandy we took your avice and went to Albercutz. Well worth it. We drove to Mirador parked there and walked up the hill reckon it is about 1 1/2 miles.

Didn't climb up the tower like the mad Germans in front of us though! Got some photos which I will load onto Flickr.

Fab views - well worth it. Hubby went back the second week with his pal who'd come out to join us. We didn't have the hire car by then so the 2 of them walked all the way from the Sis Pins to the top of Albercutz and back again!! It's a long way in the sun! Much beer was then consumed.

Seems to be the site of an old prison?

Lala
Old 14-07-2007, 19:59

Glad you enjoyed it Lala. I agree about the tower. You wouldn't have got me climbing up there. One slip and you're a gonner! Photos are great too.
Old 17-07-2007, 23:57
yelob

Thanks and drat...! I am just back and was stunned at the Mirador views and I wondered where those other roads led.
Old 18-07-2007, 00:27

Yelob - just for you here's the tower at the top of Albercutz which you can see from PP

www.flickr.com/photos/954...799276875/
Old 18-07-2007, 03:02
yelob

Thanks Lala..appreciate it,stunning alright.

Fantastic shot of the church btw especially as we missed it,it seems to close after 1pm is that right? We were going in and we had no chanhge to donate so we said we would come back later but it was closed.
Old 18-07-2007, 05:21

Didn't know it closes - that wasn't our first visit and we were early afternoon too :rolleyes Not sure if it still has active services maybe?
Old 18-07-2007, 06:13
yelob

Dont know but we came back the same evening around 7pm and it was closed,I thought maybe it was closed siesta hours 1 to 5 or so which is why I was expecting it to be open in the evening.