Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   es guix (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/160-es-guix.html)

its cd 06-05-2006 05:31

es guix

just had this place recommended to me for lunch

near Lluc , great food , fresh water mountain spring pool to swim in

anyone been ?

pollensa 06-05-2006 18:24

Sounds intriguing - just found this:

www.webgastronomica.com/esguix/

its cd 06-05-2006 20:36

wow looks great .......... think I will have to go see it and sample if for myself in July

If anyone feels the need to go sooner , do make sure you post a full review

mallorcaboy 06-05-2006 20:47

I absolutely love this place. It's just after Lluc and you have to drive down a winding road to it. Basically it's a Restaurant, but it has a fantastic, and very cold, natural rock pool. The food is not bad, but add the setting, and I feel it's a holiday "must". ( You can only use the pool, if you book for the Restaurant)

Belladonna 06-05-2006 21:09

Have to agree! Its one of our hide away restaurants, usually after having a little walk around the monestary. BUT you absolutely HAVE to book!! :p

its cd 14-05-2006 17:09

Question

Is it expensive ?

We have grown up teanagers with us ( not ours ) who can't afford to spend much , so if we take them along I need to know how much I'm letting myself in for

Alternative is we can always dump them at the water park in alcudia for the day ....... an idea re. what luch will cost per head will help me make the decision

debz1 14-05-2006 17:32

I think I saw this place on a holiday programme a few years back but as I never got the name we haven't been able to find it despite asking our PP friends. It looks fab and will definitely seek it out in June.

bella or mallorcaboy do you know if it gets very humid and 'mozziefied' in the high season? The pics look great but being inland and near water could get a bit itchy :eek !!

Debs

mallorcaboy 14-05-2006 19:38

Re Es Guix

I don't remember it being very bad regarding mozzies. It's been a couple of years since I was last here, but I would imagine you'd have to pay about 30 euros a head for 3 courses, wine, coffee etc., but it's just an estimate. I think the youngsters would love it, as the pool is great. Not much room to lie down for sunbathing, although there are chaiers and tables around. In my view, it's certainly worth going to, even if it's a one-off

Belladonna 14-05-2006 22:31

Re: Re Es Guix

I cant remember being bothered with mozzies either - but that can change at any time cant it??!! Just checked with the money man, and he said its about the same price as a meal in Can Costa - so mid range really. The food is good and its the atmosphere there that really makes it worth the visit. Tables are alittle close together though, so not much room for young kiddies to run around if they are used to doing that. Remember they are only open for lunch - no evening meals.:\

its cd 15-05-2006 01:29

Re: Re Es Guix

No problem with young kiddies ...... we don;t have any and even when we did, we didn't allow running around in restaurants.

It's the big kiddies with empty wallets and huge appetite that are the problem now lol

think we will have to give it a try .... sounds too good to miss

frito 15-05-2006 16:17

Es Guix

Been there a few times.
Don't expect gourmet food. It's a bit over mid price, but worth it for the delightful location.
The fresh-water mountain pool will keep kids (and adults) entertained for ages.
Have never been got by mozzies. Don't forget your camera!

Cheers!

Frito

JMD40 15-05-2006 21:34

Re: Es Guix

Closed on Tuesdays and always best to book. The water is Ice cold - i thought I was going to have a heart attack and that was in July a few years ago!!:o Fantastic setting and average food - best to order something spanish e.i. paella.

JMD40 17-06-2006 01:18

Es Guix

Just thought I would let you know that Es Guix does not have water in their pool at present. They told me that they are cleaning it and should be ok for swimming very soon so if you are planning to go up there best to check that the pool has water. Always worth checking as a few years ago when we had a drought there was no water for the whole summer!! The place looses a lot of ambience without the full pool - although it is safer for the old heart!!

debz1 25-06-2007 00:15

Finally went to Es Guix after going on a Tuesday last year ,when it's closed.

We were fairly early for lunch so had a drink first on the lower terrrace by the fresh water pool. Lovely setting although I thought it was looking a little tired and in need of sprucing up a bit.I would have loved to have got stuck into doing the garden..beautiful plants and shrubs but all in need of a bit of TLC. As JMD40 says it is definitely the pool that gives this place ambience.

The four of us weren't particlarly hungry (5 days in to hols and usual over indulgence!) so we just chose a selection of starters to share like tapas. The waiters were really friendy and couldn't have been more helpfull.

Tapas included:

Dates wrapped in bacon (like devils on horseback)..these were so delicious we had to get another portion!

Stuffed mussels

Bread soup..sounds odd but was delicious, and more of a lamb stew.

Frito Mallorquin.small pieces of liver, potato, peppers and onions fried in olive oil and herbs.

Palma ham and melon.

And the usual bread olives alioli etc

All washed down with a few cold beers..absolutely delicious!

We were then invited to swim in the pool if we wanted to but on this occasion declined as by now the place had filled up and we didn't want to put people off their food :eek

Definitely worth a visit and only about a 30 minute drive from PP :D

Debs

JH02JLH 26-06-2007 16:30

Thanks for that Debs!

It sounds lovely and I definitely want to go when we're out in August.

Jane:D