Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2007, 07:24

Default Easy Palma Visits?

We have recently realised that we hardly ever visit Palma itself once we have landed; got the car then travelled to the other end of the island! yes when the kids were little we did the cathedral - although the castle has yet to be visited - and the spanish village and the ride round on the horse and carriage, but since then we have limited ourselves to the North and Centre of the Island.
Now feel a bit intimidated about trying to find restaurants or bars or even shops within the big, bad city! Can anyone recommend a particular area once we have parked at the cathedral, to aim for which will give us a good day / evening of interest and eating, or a good guide book which will advise such things? There seem to be lots of lovely bars and restaurants that are tucked away behind large oak doors that only those in the know know about!!
Sponsored Links
Old 14-08-2007, 15:49

We spent our wedding anniversary one year in old Palma and at fantastic hotel behind one of this big oak doors. We found a super tapas bar just off Plaza del Rei, and a good steak restaurant too. Trouble is, I can't remember the name of it, or the directions, but I always manage to find it when wandering those lovely narrow streets.

I've been a great help haven't I ! :\
Old 14-08-2007, 16:26

A section of the book "Walk and Eat Mallorca" by Valerie Crespi-Green gives a very good guide to Palma - where to walk, where to eat etc. We often have lunch at the tapas place recommended in the book and it also enabled us to fiind lots of other interesting bars and restaurants in the same labyrinth of streets that we just couldn't find before.

We have been up to the castle (fantastic views) which seemed very good value to get in.

The Spanish village was okay but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.

In case it is of interest, we drive to the train station at Pont d'Ica Nou and catch the train into Palma. The train takes seven minutes and cost one euro thiry cents return. This way you also get to see the new station in Palma.
Old 14-08-2007, 19:15

Gee thanks Sandy, so good to know you had a great time! LOL! If the memory returns before September please give me some more info! May well find a lovely hotel to stay overnight rather than travel back to the North.
Mariquita, will look out for that book, it seems to be what we need. Hubby would probably prefer not to drive to Palma and work out the one way system yet again, so will bear that in mind too.
Any other hints will be be gratefully accepted!
Old 15-08-2007, 00:34
Founder

You'll find the book mentioned here www.puertopollensa.com/Books2.html#walking - it's a lovely read.

For getting a good overview of Palma try the Open top bus - see the leaflet here www.city-sightseeing.co.uk/Images/Tours/Leaflets07/Palma_Leaf07.pdf
Old 15-08-2007, 01:02

Default Palma Visit

Pollensa is right. The open top bus is great for getting about and seeing things. You can drop-off and get back on.(Pueblo Espanol, Belver Castle etc.)
Why go by car? Why not experience the joy of a train trip from Sa Pobla into the wonderful modern central railway station in the Placa Espana??? (The integrated transport system gives you a bus from the Port connecting with the train.)
The train journey is something not to be missed.
The countryside is great, at anytime of the year, and you get the opportunity to experience local people "close-up" and the joy of the Mallorcan language spoken at 100 decibels. It's an experience.
Once in Palma, it's across the Placa Espana for a coffee in Capucino. It's here you can get the guide book out and the city is yours!

I hope this is useful.

Frito
Old 15-08-2007, 02:30

Default Re: Palma Visit

Thanks to everyone for their replies and thanks in particular to Belladonna for asking the original question as it's something we plan to do this year as well. It's just I'm a little wary of driving into Palma so taking the train or bus is ideal.

Jane