Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 01:30

Default Palma eating in November

We had a three night break in Palma in November and, if I may, would like to share some of our eating experiences there.

Our first evening, based on previous experience, we like to “go native” and so it was a Spanish restaurant not far from our hotel. They do a Plato del Dia and it was Potage con judias, a thick meaty soup with chunks of meat , ham and white beans.

Bread and olives as usual to start, and a nice red Rioja.
Coming in a large tureen, on presentation , steaming away, it has a very rustic feel. On a prior visit there, also with a tureen dish , I recall the waiter on passing, looking to see whether we had finished eating, and indeed finished the whole tureen. And this time, the chef also appeared, and had a confab with the waiter , looking in our direction. Is it not etiquette to finish the whole tureen? We then followed with café carajillos and repaired to our hotel, to taste a little more brandy!Name of the place?? Didn't write it down!:rolleyes

Very close to our hotel is a rather nice Japanese restaurant, which we thought about but chickened out yet again. One day maybe with a little more courage?

See www.mallorca-restaurants-...urantID=60

Approaching lunchtime next day , thought we’d try one of the Lizarran tapas bars, which we discovered on the mainland in October, and are run on a franchise basis. So we found the one in Calle Brondo a lane at the top end of the Passieg de Born, very central. 1.30pm or so and we thought, looks good, plenty room, loads of free tables and about eight waiters. Far too many staff, overstaffed we thought, and set about choosing some tapas at 1 Euro a go, from the bar and some red vino to drink, again 1 euro a glass.You know what’s coming, after 2pm and the joint is jumping, all tables taken by this time. They also do hot dishes, which we could see coming through from the kitchen , in a hatch behind the bar, as also very quick replenishing of all the cold tapas. The trick in here was leaving the little sticks on your plate and from that they’d tot up your bill, counting your drinks also.

That evening we had intended going to an Argentinian restaurant we’d been in before but on setting out rain came on, so we headed quickly in to an Italian place we’d been in before. Lucky us!

A thunderstorm with high winds, heavy rain ,thunder and lightning.!!:eek

Roasted Mediterranean vegetables to start for us both , then a mushroom risotto for ma’am and a pappardelle for me with ham in a rich creamy sauce, and a Montepulciano to go with. Cafe carajillos to finish.

The name of the place escapes me!:rolleyes

Next day we were in PP for a flying visit and that was the day with snow on the mountains, my comments have already been made on that icy day! >D

There is a great website of Mallorcan restaurants which I’d been aware of but as our trip was at very short notice, had not fully done my homework.

See www.mallorca-restaurants-121.com and www.vietnamcafe.es/

We set out that evening for the restaurant district, Santa Catalina, and thought we might try a Vietnamese, which I had looked at on the site.

Omitted to change some cash that day, and unsure outside, whether they did credit cards, decided another time for sure.

Close by, among plenty of restaurants was Viva Mexico, again on the Mallorca restaurants website.
Seewww.mallorca-restaurants-...urantID=50

Met by Lydia, the Maitre d’, we were taken by the décor and atmosphere, lots of locals out for a Friday night! And hitting the Margaritas big time, some of them!

A pre starter like little poppadums with a very fiery dip, then we both had deep fried jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese. Bottle of Red Rioja assisting to cool our palates!
Mains , enchiladas for ma’am and for me, chicken burritos.

Great place, atmosphere, food, no hesitation in returning and very reasonable.The brown paper on the tables, instead of tablecloths was a novelty and Lydia was most helpful.

Next day, our last, we walked through the Santa Catalina district in day light, through the market and noting the many restaurants and busy pavement cafes..
As we wandered through very old streets somewhat similar to Pollensa old town we came on Restaurant Bon LLoc, a vegetarian restaurant again on that website, and thought not veggies as such, we’ll try it sometime.

I must mention two cafes, one we’d been in before, and tried again this time of an afternoon , for coffee and a piece of the most dreamy chocolate cake

See www.cafe-bonaire.com

And that one is very handy for some of our ladies who love the shoe shops!

And also, Café Capuccinno Palau March, at the foot of the stairs coming down from the Cathedral towards Placa Reina. Once again the website tells more than I can.
See www.grupocappuccino.com Palau March

Decision time for lunch our last day, a Saturday, as we were catching our plane mid evening. Sitting enjoying a glass of red overlooking La Rambla, it was to be either El Gallego, on Calle Carmen off La Rambla. Good atmosphere, few tourists, often we’d been the only ones, or was it to be Lizarran tapas bar again, in Calle Brondo. We choose the latter, to see the Saturday crowd!

By the way don’t confuse El Gallego with Casa Gallego, a restaurant just off Unio, a main city centre street .Casa G I think, is owned by a famous former top Spanish footballer.

See www.grupolizarran.com

Ok 2pm Lizarran! Stowed out, no tables, names taken for a table. Get yourself a drink and a tapa to get started, wait at the bar, then wait your name being called. No, didn’t use Portofan! As well as our cold tapas, we ordered a Pimientos Padron and Roasted Vegetables, and so much enjoyed the theatre, but always wondering how they kept your tab right, with different waiters getting your food and drinks! They have it down to a fine art! Put a bottle of agua sin gas on our bill! Porto doesn’t do agua with his tapas! Sorted , no worries!:lol

There is such a choice of eating places in Palma, to suit all tastes and all pockets, you’d never go hungry.One of our members told us recently of a meal in the Santa Catalina district, where there are so many attractive restaurants and also in the La LLonja district.

I recall a few years ago we had the topic on the Forum of “El Kiosko” in PP, which fairly brought out the posters! On Unio, a main Palma street, almost opposite the Grand Hotel, there is a kiosk and among the delicacies served are “Perros Caliente”
Was it Robjay who said “Ah well , each to their own”!:eek

I didn’t bother mentioning hotel breakfasts, so much choice on a buffet basis, too much, really, we shouldn’t have needed to eat all day, but hey it’s your holidays!

Palma is well worth a trip on it’s own, or to tag a day or two on to the start or end of your holiday in PP.

Try!

Porto
Sponsored Links
Old 26-01-2008, 01:42

Great post, Porto!

You have my taste buds going here!!!

Jane
Old 26-01-2008, 07:03
Duncan

Not sure that "name of place...didn't write it down" is the most useful restaurant review I've ever read!

But Palma certainly is a great place for a short break.
Old 27-01-2008, 01:18

Porto, we've also been to the Argentinian restaurant in old Palma, down steps, set into the cellar? I can't remember the name of that either!!
Old 28-01-2008, 00:46

Must agree what a great post! I find all the posts re restaurants visited amazing actually. Do you all take note books with you or dictaphones to remember exactly where you went, who served your and what you ate!!? By the time Ive got back home after eating Ive forgotten where Ive been let alone anything else! Well done everyone with a memory! Mind you, I can usually remember vinyards visited!
Old 28-01-2008, 02:20

I normally note down what we've eaten when we get back to our hotel or villa. Plus, my daughter keeps a scrapbook and so insists on taking the bill with her and that's always a good reference!

As for names of places, it can be hard to remember a new place. I've lost count of the times I've been to pubs in this country, loved the food and forgotten the name of the place!

I think Porto's aim was to show how well you can eat in Palma, somewhere I've never been to properly. I must make amends this year!

Jane
Old 28-01-2008, 06:44
Duncan

Being serious, I think Porto's post is very useful for anyone venturing into Palma (I've printed it off for future reference - thanks) and has made me realise that it's ages since we did stay there. We love PP so much that we rarely venture elsewhere.

Palma has one of the very best restaurants I've ever eaten in, anywhere. Koldo Royo is a Spanish celebrity chef with a Michelin star whose eponymous restaurant is on the Paseo Maritimo. It's where King Juan Carlos goes when the annual regatta is on and His Royal Highness even has his own room in the restaurant. The amazing thing is that it really isn't very expensive - just absolutely fantastic - and not remotely "stuck up". Worth a visit.

Duncan
Old 28-01-2008, 07:06

Sounds like one to try Duncan thanks!

We're going to PP in March and no doubt will be going to Ikea for kitchen bits and bobs! It will be less of a bitter pill for hubby if there's a nice meal to be had in Palma afterwards

But what's the restaurant called??!!

Debs
Old 29-01-2008, 07:19
Duncan

Debz, you can find it at www.koldoroyo.com.

The restaurante is called Koldo Royo and it really is seriously good. We stayed just down the road at the Hotel Mirador, and that was really good value too.

If you get to go to Koldo Royo I do hope it is as good as we experienced.

Duncan