Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By animagic21
  • 1 Post By pollensa
  • 1 Post By debz1
  • 1 Post By animagic21
  • 2 Post By bobley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 10:03

Default walk to monastery

Has anyone walked to the Monastery in Pollenca recently and can you get drinks at the top and how long would it take walking very slowly and was it worth it .
Sponsored Links
Old 14-09-2018, 11:47

I go up most mornings or evenings when I'm there. I find I'll pop out of the house for bread and milk etc and then get distracted - and then find I'm at the top. It takes me 35 mins to get up and <25 mins to come back down. Saturdays are busier when the locals appear to do the walk as a ritual.

I'm fairly fit but you see all manner of people huffing and puffing their way up. There are the odd bench or wall to lean / sit on. I doubt it would take anyone more than an hour to ascend.

It's always worth it.

There is a little cafe at the top which my son has been to but he walks up in the middle of the day (crazy boy). It's usually closed when I go. There aren't any posted opening hours.

Last edited by bobley; 14-09-2018 at 11:50.
Old 14-09-2018, 17:50

Thank you it looks such a long way when you are staring at it from Pollensa
Old 14-09-2018, 18:37

Takes me an hour!! Much huffing & puffing!! About 25 mins to slither down! Cafe is open every day except Monday. Lovely rustic food & amazing views.
pollensa, Lorenzo and Rosie34 like this.
Old 15-09-2018, 10:07
Founder

We've done it a few times but find it quite hard work although we often see elderly locals skipping up there...

We've had ice creams from the counter but haven't yet tried the cafe. What times does it serve food? We may try it for lunch next month. Is it open all year?
debz1 likes this.
Old 15-09-2018, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
We've done it a few times but find it quite hard work although we often see elderly locals skipping up there...

We've had ice creams from the counter but haven't yet tried the cafe. What times does it serve food? We may try it for lunch next month. Is it open all year?

I did once in October and as it was a bit overcast I thought I'd be fine but half way up I was struggling. I blamed it on the humidity as I do a fair bit of walking! Like you pollensa we commented on the elderly ( some very!) locals who were overtaking us It took us nearly an hour to reach the top with a couple of stops for a breather on the way. Worth it when you get there though for the amazing view.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 15-09-2018, 22:11

We did it on a lovely sunny day in January last year and, like everybody else has said, it was definitely worth it for the views. I can't remember how long it took us, but it was less than an hour I think, and neither of us were particularly fit at that time (I'm still not, but Mrs kcdc230 is on a complete fitness regime at the moment).

Even at that time of year the cafe was open - we were the only people at the top when we got there, but the cafe was still open and we had a couple of drinks as I recall. I'm pretty sure it had food for sale as well.

And look out for the cats as well. Not sure how active they will be in the warmer weather, but we were amazed at how many there were - I've got a cracking video on my phone of about 20 of them emerging from a tiny hole in the side of a brick wall!
Old 16-09-2018, 10:10

Yes, we saw the ginger cats emerging from the wall too! They are fed by the hostel staff. The cafe is extremely simple, lovely ham, bread, olives & soup etc. Certainly not a three course meal. Very welcome after the climb. From memory I feel sure the cafe is open every day other than Mondays and through the winter. Xmas & New Year probably shut. Certainly we’ve gone up in January a few times When we stroll around the Old Town I can never believe we’ve reached the top as it looks so high!!
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 16-09-2018, 15:34

It's 330m elevation at the top and only 48m at the crossing point on the main road so 282m vertical is not to be sniffed at.

At least you guys have given it a go. None of my friends visiting over the summer bothered!
El Gordo and animagic21 like this.