Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   Soller train strike (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/12050-soller-train-strike.html)

pips 22-04-2015 13:40

Soller train strike

We were thinking of taking the bus to Palma then train to soller in May, last time I was on it I was 7, just a few years ago, now I'm reading about a strike in May and June does anyone know about this. I presume it would be only for a day and we're not sure what day is best to go on yet. Any tips for the trip or strike news are most welcome.

mike_dublin 22-04-2015 13:54

Majorca Daily Bulletin
(22/04/15 online)

Quote:

Soller Train workers’ unions stand firm on strike action

Soller Train workers’ Unions have confirmed that the proposed strike actions set to take place next month and in June will go ahead as scheduled “unless an agreement can be reached before hand”.

Soller Mayor and a representatives for local businesses warned earlier this week the move could have a serious impact on the region’s finances, not only because of the amount of visitors that would not be able to make their way to Soller but also with the possibility travel agencies could start to cancel future partnerships with the Company.

Workers’ unions were nonetheless far from impressed and have decided to stand their ground.

As things stand, the partial strikes planned for May are set to go ahead, as well as the full day strikes planned for June.

The unions who yesterday called an emergency meeting with representatives from the Soller train workers said that the meeting was not to discuss the possibility of the strike, as that decision had already been made, but to discuss the “safety and occupation rates of the train”.

“Our reasons are not entirely economical- even though a salary increase of four percent is one of the demands and a 70 percent raise on extra hours.”

mike_dublin 22-04-2015 13:59

Failure to communicate leads to rail strikes - Euro Weekly News Spain

Quote:

Failure to communicate leads to rail strikes

Thursday, 16 April 2015

THE trade unions UGT and CCOO have called eight strike days affecting the Ferrocarril de Soller Tram in May and June.

The planned strikes are to highlight the issues arising from the implementation of the new company collective bargaining agreement, which the union claims could affect 100 employees.

The unions have called for the strikes to be held between 9am and 5pm on Monday May 4, 11, 18 and 25, and again on June 4, 9, 18 and 23 for the whole day.

“In the meetings that we have held, they have not wanted to accept any of the claims our committee have given them to improve conditions for the workers,” the unions said.

The UGT and CCOO apologised to the users of the Soller service for any inconvenience that this may cause.