Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Excursions Out & About in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/)
-   -   No Frills Soller excursion (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/excursions-out-about-majorca/11696-no-frills-soller-excursion.html)

kate1 15-10-2014 16:47

No Frills Soller excursion

Having read so many good reviews of No Frills excursions, we have decided to book ourselves onto their Soller trip - which involves a boat, a tram and a train, with a stop for lunch in Port de Soller. It's many years since I've been there and I remember it as being pretty touristy: can anyone who has been recently recommend a nice restaurant for lunch that is quick to get to, with reasonably fast service (as I don't think we will have very long), but that isn't solely aimed at tourists. Perhaps a seafood restaurant? - or somewhere that has a good MDD? Any suggestions will be very welcome!

carl1955 18-10-2014 11:09

Hi Kate1

We did a similar trip when we stayed in Cal Bona a few years ago, it was a rush for lunch but just about had time. We dined at EL PIRATA and sat at a table on the terrace overlooking the port oposite the tram stop. Enjoyed the meal & its location. Lots of nice resteraunts in the area to suit all budgets.

Regards

Carl

kate1 20-10-2014 08:33

Thanks so much Carl - that sounds perfect! I'm sure it won't be a leisurely lunch but we want to make the most of the short time we have there!

pollensa 20-10-2014 08:46

I thought I had read somewhere on one of the reviews for this trip that No Frills suggest somewhere to eat and will pre-book it for you. It may be worth dropping them a line so that you aren't too rushed.

Years ago we ate in Puerto Soller after arriving by tram and we were really disappointed with the place we chose (very expensive Pa Amb Oli) - but we just didn't know it as we do PP!

kate1 20-10-2014 09:54

Very good idea, Pollensa - may well do that. We don't want to spend hours wandering around looking for somewhere to eat (and no doubt arguing about it!). As I said I haven't been to Puerto Soller for at least ten years but I do remember being disappointed at what seemed to be on offer, compared to PP.

roig cat 20-10-2014 11:02

Ate once at a place near the last tram stop and found a huge cockroach in my Russian salad after id already eaten some! When ever i think of Port de Soller i always remember that, try to eat away from the obvious tourist traps.

pollensa 20-10-2014 17:02

Kate,

please do report back on the excursion and where you ate as we're hoping to try it next spring! :)

kate1 20-10-2014 21:58

Will do, Pollensa! - am really looking forward to it as we would never get around to organising something like this for ourselves

lovemallorca 21-10-2014 11:15

My suggestion is to get off the tram in Soller itself, rather than going down to the Port.

The main square has loads of restaurants, and the narrow streets remind me a little of Pollensa Old Town;
http://goo.gl/maps/TUdp8
(The Streetview image is from winter - It is usually busy)

It is fun as the tram lines go right through the middle of the restaurants.

The tram goes onto the Port (5 minutes away) but terminates there and comes back, so you can always pick it back up when it returns.

kate1 21-10-2014 12:00

Hi lovemallorca - I don't think we have that option, unfortunately - I'd rather have spent more time in the town but the NoFrills excursion goes by boat from Sa Calobra directly to the Port. I love that square in Soller - and the amazing ice cream shop close by - although it was ten years ago, I still remember the orange ice cream - the best ever!

pollensa 21-10-2014 14:29

I think this tour takes the coach to Sa Calobra, boat to Port of Soller for lunch , then tram to Soller - where hopefully you'll have time for an ice cream (and see the wonderful artwork in the station) before taking the train to Palma & coach home.

We have never done the trip this way round so it will make a nice change.

But if anyone is visiting Soller for lunch, as we did last April, the 5* Gran Hotel Soller did a very good Menu Del Dia for 10.50 EUR - it's off the main square & we found it whilst walking from the car park back towards square. It wasn't nearly as posh as we feared and has very nice loos!

MairiCladach 21-10-2014 19:26

Hola, I have to agree with Carl - we have eaten lunch at El Pirata three times over recent years and their menu is varied and fresh; we have had their grilled Soller prawns every time and they have been DIVINE, the best prawns we have ever had on the island I have to say (sorry PP, we have had great prawns there too of course, just that the Soller prawns were particularly wonderful!).

We have also had seafood risottos and whole grilled fish and they have also been really tasty, though a bit over-salted on one occasion. Lovely wines too.:)

Belladonna 02-11-2014 10:07

Just a quick "tick" for El Pirata " at Port Soller. Ate on their terrace yesterday and had great tapas, fresh and very tasty. Watched a few trams come and go and wondered which forumites may have been on them! ;)

Disorderly 02-11-2014 19:26

What a wonderful handle, Belladonna......"Forumite". It may catch on......��

Belladonna 02-11-2014 19:55

Think we have been branded that a few times before! ;)