Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 18:10

Default No Frills "Rural Mallorca" tour

We did this on the Tuesday of our stay (I think a similar one runs on Fridays too). I just can't recommend it highly enough.

We were picked up near our apartment and then the coach wended its way round Alcudia and Can Picafort to pick up around 20 other people. This took a while and could have been pretty tedious had it not been for our guide Michael who was endlessly fascinating. Mr B and I were constantly whispering to each other "ooh, isn't that interesting" as Michael gave us little nuggets of information about the history and environment of Mallorca.

First stop on the tour was Santa Margalida, a lovely village, where we visited the church and the small market. It was amazing to be up in the hills and away from the hustle and bustle of the resorts. It was cool and quiet and felt like a slice of real life on the island.

Next was Sineu where we visited an incredible wine cellar. I won't spoil it for anyone but the history of this place is fascinating and the Mallorcan wine - a white, a rosé and two reds - was delicious. Mr B and I bought two bottles from the enormous barrels, for the whopping price of €2 each!

From there we proceeded to a country "finca" where the group made pa amb oli and trampo, which we ate with beautiful barbecued meats and plenty of wine from the cellar in Sineu.

Back on the thankfully air-conditioned bus and pretty much straight back to our apartment in PP.

What an amazing day! Worth every cent of the €26 each we paid.
pollensa, debz1, Mark and 10 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-07-2014, 18:21

What a lovely idea, Littlebird, how did you come across that trip? Sounds a real bargain.
Neilberns and littlebird like this.
Old 23-07-2014, 19:05

It's one of a number run by No Frills - I think they advertise on here and they also have a little office on the seafront near Burger King. We just thought it sounded great. And it was!
Old 23-07-2014, 20:49
Founder

Yes they're on our main site at puertopollensa.com/excursions-majorca.html#nofrillspp.

Thanks for that review littlebird - it sounds really interesting. I quite fancy doing this myself.
littlebird likes this.

Last edited by pollensa; 23-07-2014 at 20:52.
Old 23-07-2014, 22:08

LB, brilliant post loved reading it.

did you book it with no frills down on the front?

was it busy and touristy or chilled and relaxed? ta
Old 23-07-2014, 22:13

Sounds Great LB,

What time was pick up and drop off? Was it a whole day?

Car 77
Old 24-07-2014, 09:31
Super Moderator

No Frills offer a 5% discount for online bookings .
lollipop likes this.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:48

we did this trip a few years back but visited different villages and wine cellar, but finished up at the same finca.
Old 24-07-2014, 13:14

I had no idea you could do this - sounds a fantastic day out! - thanks for the recommendation!
Old 24-07-2014, 13:16

This sounds great. Definitely going to do this in September
Old 28-07-2014, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1873 View Post
LB, brilliant post loved reading it.

did you book it with no frills down on the front?

was it busy and touristy or chilled and relaxed? ta
Oops - sorry for slow replies - back to reality

Yep, booked it at the little office on the front but you get a discount if you book online, I think.

Completely chilled - there were only 21 of us (although I think in peak times it can be a bit bigger) and the places you go to are very small and quiet with no other tour groups etc. Very relaxing.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by car77 View Post
Sounds Great LB,

What time was pick up and drop off? Was it a whole day?

Car 77
We were one of the first pick ups at 8.45 and arrived back at about 4.30, so a full day but really very relaxing and chilled out so didn't feel like a slog.
lollipop likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 13:47
Founder

I’ve been wanting to do this tour ever since reading about it in July - thank so much littlebird as I had no idea that this sort of excursion existed. We have never done an organised trip in Mallorca. We've visited several of the sights over the years but mainly by car so the poor driver i.e. my husband, doesn't get to see much - he was particularly impressed.

This excursion is run by No Frills Excursions on Tuesdays and Fridays throughout their season which I think runs from April-October. The itinerary changes slightly on the days as you visit different markets – Santa Margalida & Sineu on Tuesday and Maria de la Salut & Binnisalem on Friday. The BBQ lunch at the finca, owned by ‘grandma’ is the same for both as is the very entertaining guide Michael. The tour costs 28 EUR per adult (but you can get a 5% discount online) and lasts all day.

Guests are picked up from various points in Puerto Pollensa, Cala San Vicente, Pollensa and Alcudia – just tell them where you are staying and they’ll nominate a pick-up point – ours was the Hotel Puerto Azul. While waiting we spoke to one lady who had already done the tour four times! We booked on-line from home as I was worried it may not run if they didn’t know about participants in advance. How wrong I was. The coach was absolutely full! Apparently it is often full outside of July & Aug and I have to say that the age of clientèle reflected that although there were a few young ones.

So even though we've been coming to the island for over 25 years, we learnt a lot that day from Michael our very informative guide. First stop was Maria de la Salud, a tiny place with a very small market and two or three cafes nearby where you could use the loos after buying a coffee. It made as realise that we should explore these quieter places more often – if we can park! That was the advantage of being in a bright orange coach. At the market Michael purchased the white onions for the Trampo.

Next stop was Binissalem. First we had a wander around Casa Museu Llorenç Villalonga the house of the late Mallorcan author LLorenc Villalonga. As Michael had warned us nearly everything was in Catalan with some notices in Spanish but you did get a good idea of an old Mallorcan house. Apparently Villalonga died in 1980 but it still had some amazing electrical wiring. Then on to Binissalem market. I trailed Michael for a while to see what he was choosing. A bad move as I then had to carry 2 large carrier bags of tomatoes. He also bought the pale green peppers and melons – more volunteers needed to help carry them. It wasn’t so easy to find a table at a café here so we found a supermarket, bought a can of drink and some croissants and sat on a wall to eat them. By now were pretty hungry and needed to line our stomachs for the next event.

We then regrouped at the market and were given the option of wine testing for 2 EUR each. Not many of us turned this down but you could have an hour on your own if you didn’t fancy it. The bodega we visited was Vins Can Novell. The owner Andreas took us through the 6 wines he had chosen all featuring local grapes. The three younger wines cost only 2 EUR each and the more mature sweet wines which were lovely 5 or 6 EUR – we bought 3 bottles, now sitting in the fridge patiently waiting for our return.

And finally we were on our way to lunch at the finca. A massive barbecue was being prepared by Juan to cook pieces of marinated pork and chicken – they are happy to provide roasted vegetables if you don’t eat meat. First we all made our own starter of Pa Amb Oli by rubbing half a cut ramallet tomato on a slice of Mallorcan bread, drizzling over olive oil and sprinkling with salt and that was it and it was delicious especially accompanied by a glass of Kalimotxo – a refreshing mixture of red wine from the bodega and coke poured over ice (introduced to me by the coach driver!). Next 6 volunteers prepared the Trampo by chopping up pale green peppers, white onions and firm tomatoes and mixing with olive oil. Along with the barbecued meat, more bread, more kalimotxo and sunshine, it was fabulous.

And finally back home on our Orange coach. Not surprisingly Michael told us about the other tours offered. Several people were already booked on one covering Valldemossa and Soller but we fancy doing their Island Tour next year – coach to Sa Calobra, boat to Port Soller where you can have lunch, tram to Soller, the wooden train to Palma and finally home on the coach. If the quality of Rural Mallorca tour is anything to by, the Island Tour will be another winner – and welcomed by the family driver too!
Old 10-10-2014, 14:43

I'm just wondering what the roads are like on the tour. I tend to suffer with travel sickness and the windy roads can be a problem. Would really love this tour.
Old 10-10-2014, 17:11

Great write up Pollensa! We did the Friday tour in September with friends so visited the same towns as you. Michael was a mine of information and I finally discovered, after years of wondering, why some Mallorquins leave bottles of water outside their front gates!

Pollensa, in Llorenç Villalonga's Casa did you notice the small annexe at the back of the house? We wandered in only to be ever so slightly shocked at the paintings inside! Ooo er missus