Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 19:07

Default Bus to S'Albufera

Can anyone please confirm that the 352 Bus service from Puerto de Pollenca to Can Picafort goes to the S'Albufera Nature reserve.
Reg
Sponsored Links
Old 17-02-2011, 19:52

It certainly passes it on the way to can picafort. It is quite close to can picafort . I'm sure the bus will stop near by, it is a lovely bus route too.

Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers

you can download the time table here.
Old 17-02-2011, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz d View Post
It certainly passes it on the way to can picafort. It is quite close to can picafort . I'm sure the bus will stop near by, it is a lovely bus route too.

Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers

you can download the time table here.
Many thanks, we have three weeks in PP in May and will spend quite a bit of time at S,Albufera
Old 17-02-2011, 20:18

The bus stops just past the lane towards the Albufera reception. You'd need to walk towards the bridge and directions to the reception are clear. Ask the bus driver for Albufera and he'll know where you mean. The bus stop to come back is right opposite in front of the Parc Natural hotel.
Old 18-02-2011, 02:05

Hi Regan - and others: May is a good time to go, not too crowded, not too hot.
S’Albufera is a wonderful place to visit; I’ve been there on several occasions.
It is wetland of International importance and a stopping off place for many birds travelling from Africa to Europe or vice-versa.
It is very large – some 1700 Hectares (4200 Acres), or thereabouts.

Visiting times are 0900 to 1800 1st April to 30th September – 0900 to 1700 1st Oct. to 31st March.
A visiting permit is required and can be obtained ‘free of charge’ from the reception building.
Access can be by foot or by cycle. Cars are not generally allowed - Maybe are for the disabled.
The Park phone number is +34 971 892250.

There are lots of birds and other wildlife to see.
Over 250 species of birds have been recorded.
There are also many fish, frogs, small reptiles, butterflies and insects to look out for.
In winter S’Albufera supports many thousands of ducks and other overwintering species.
I have also seen Buffalo and Horses in the reeded areas nearby as you walk down the tracks.

By bus, get off as near as possible to “Englishmen’s Bridge” which is on the main Alcudia / C’an Picafort road, adjacent
to the site entrance.

Lots of information and maps available – just ‘google’ S’Albufera Mallorca or even Bird Watching in Mallorca.

Closer to Puerto Pollensa is S’Albufereta (small S’Albufera) - a somewhat smaller wetland of about 200 Hectares (500 Acres). Again lots of birds to see if you are patient. Egrets, Herons, Stilts, Raptors, Hoopoe, Bee-Eaters, etc. (you can even spot occasional Egret, and even the odd Osprey whilst sunbathing on the beach at P.P. – strange, but true!)
S’Albufereta is just off the Puerto Pollensa to Alcudia road, just by the Club Bahia Resort.
Again lots of info on the web, try [url=http://www.birdinginspain.com].
Good look with your days out and happy bird watching.

Last edited by pescador2009; 18-02-2011 at 02:09.
Old 18-02-2011, 09:44

It is a great day out for all ages. At the start of the walk we have often seen the "jumping fish" which wastes ages of time waiting for the next one to jump! The "hides" are well positioned with the usual posters in them to help with bird spotting. Some areas have no shade at all, so make sure hats and water are taken, and others are really lovely leafy walks. The map is definitely needed to help with the post directions along the way.
Old 18-02-2011, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador2009 View Post
Hi Regan - and others: May is a good time to go, not too crowded, not too hot.
S’Albufera is a wonderful place to visit; I’ve been there on several occasions.
It is wetland of International importance and a stopping off place for many birds travelling from Africa to Europe or vice-versa.
It is very large – some 1700 Hectares (4200 Acres), or thereabouts.

Visiting times are 0900 to 1800 1st April to 30th September – 0900 to 1700 1st Oct. to 31st March.
A visiting permit is required and can be obtained ‘free of charge’ from the reception building.
Access can be by foot or by cycle. Cars are not generally allowed - Maybe are for the disabled.
The Park phone number is +34 971 892250.

There are lots of birds and other wildlife to see.
Over 250 species of birds have been recorded.
There are also many fish, frogs, small reptiles, butterflies and insects to look out for.
In winter S’Albufera supports many thousands of ducks and other overwintering species.
I have also seen Buffalo and Horses in the reeded areas nearby as you walk down the tracks.

By bus, get off as near as possible to “Englishmen’s Bridge” which is on the main Alcudia / C’an Picafort road, adjacent
to the site entrance.

Lots of information and maps available – just ‘google’ S’Albufera Mallorca or even Bird Watching in Mallorca.

Closer to Puerto Pollensa is S’Albufereta (small S’Albufera) - a somewhat smaller wetland of about 200 Hectares (500 Acres). Again lots of birds to see if you are patient. Egrets, Herons, Stilts, Raptors, Hoopoe, Bee-Eaters, etc. (you can even spot occasional Egret, and even the odd Osprey whilst sunbathing on the beach at P.P. – strange, but true!)
S’Albufereta is just off the Puerto Pollensa to Alcudia road, just by the Club Bahia Resort.
Again lots of info on the web, try [url=http://www.birdinginspain.com].
Good look with your days out and happy bird watching.
Many thanks for your informative post,
Old 18-02-2011, 18:18
Super Moderator

Pescador i would like to echo Regan's comments, thank you very much.
Old 18-02-2011, 22:12

Pescador, it sounds as if you like the place as much as we do. Try to get round there at regular intervals always something different to see. I just love the night herons sitting like kings in the bushes along the canal.
Old 18-02-2011, 22:43

Thanks for that Regan / Sparky. By the way Sparky, like the new avatar photo!

And lollipop (just spotted your post)… Night Herons… wonderful, but sometimes a bit ‘creepy’ when they sit so still!

Just goes to show… Mallorca is far more than just Sun, Sand and Se….. oh, Sangria!
As many of us dedicated Puerto Pollensa fans already know.

Thanks to everybody who posts about the many and varied subjects on this forum.

By the way (this may have been mentioned previously in the D.B.). The Consell de Mallorca is continuing to push for the Tramuntana mountains region - the Sierra de Tramuntana - which is basically north and west of P.P., stretching all the way down towards Puerto de Soller and beyond, to be named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
And now a bit of celebrity name dropping:
Film star Michael Douglas, a long-time ambassador of Mallorca and a property owner in the Tramuntana, along with American rock legend Patti Smith, are both big supporters of this bid.
A decision on the subject is due to be announced in June of this year.

So those of you who are usually beach lovers, do consider a trip inland to the Tramuntana area - possibly linked to a trip to the monastery at Lluch, the village of Fornalutx, Cuba Reservoir, La Cartuja at Valldemossa, or even the rail / tram journey to Soller / Puerto de Soller - you will find the countryside and the mountain scenery absolutely stunning.
Also a good area for bird watchers to spot the Black Vultures with their 9 foot wingspan.

There is so much more to Mallorca than many people think!

p.s. Just found more information on bird watching on this very forum - (purely by chance).
Try looking at http://www.puertopollensa.com/birds-nature-majorca.html

Last edited by pollensa; 23-02-2011 at 15:30. Reason: link corrected
Old 19-02-2011, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador2009 View Post
. (you can even spot occasional Egret, and even the odd Osprey whilst sunbathing on the beach at P.P. – strange, but true!)
Puppy and Bird! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I knew I had a photo of a bird on the beach, but when I found it I also saw the puppy in the background which I had never noticed before! He certainly wants to be a celeb, creeping in every shot he can!

Which type of bird is it please?
Old 19-02-2011, 20:49

Well done Bella', great picture of a 'Little Egret', (and your favourite puppy).
Looks like its taken from the beach by the Pine Walk.
Any more interesting sightings?
Saw the Osprey(s) just off the beach at the very end of the Pine Walk, near the 'base'.
Saw several Black Vultures last year from the 'view point' near the Isla Colomer.
Old 19-02-2011, 20:57
Super Moderator

Pescador we have often seen Egrets on the rock breakwater in front of Tamarells beach bar.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:51
Super Moderator

Default Fire breaks out in Albufera.

I have just read in today's DB that a blaze which broke out on the road between Sa Pobla and Albufera yesterday afternoon had penetrated parts of the nature reserve. 35 firefighters with several engines and 4 helicopters worked for hours to bring it under control.
Old 23-02-2011, 17:32

Thats a worry, even with all the rain there was still a fire? Suspicious.

On the good side though .... all those uniforms!!