Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 11:03
Super Moderator

Default La Patrona 2011.

La Patrona begins on Tuesday 26th July, here is a link to the programme i am sorry i couldn't translate it with Google but it gives you an idea of timings. It may take a few seconds to appear.
http://www.ajpollenca.net/wms/ofo/im..._adj205587.pdf
Old 22-07-2011, 15:08
Founder

And here's the English version kindly provided by Andrew Ede - I'll also add it to our calendar.

PATRONA 2011 - POLLENSA

Tuesday, 26 July:
14:00: Rockets and ringing of bells to announce the start of the fiestas. At Monti-sion square. And procession with bugle band.
20:30: Street procession with bugle and drum band.
21:00: Opening of gathering of new Pollensa artists at the Club Pollença.
22:00: The welcome oration for the fiestas given by Antoni Bisanyes: "As things were (or as things are no more)". Sant Domingo cloister and then concert with the Pollensa music band and procession.

Wednesday, 27 July:
18:00: Children's entertainment. Plaça Major.
20:00: Semis and finals for 3x3 basketball tournament. Sports centre.
22:00: Gospel evening with the Alcúdia town choir, Jeroni Alenyar (keyboards), Juan Manuel Gracia (bass), Miquel Cifre (drums). Led by Martí Saez. Sant Domingo cloister. Price: 5 euros.
23:45: Party in the gardens. "Hawaiian party" with DJs Toni Llobera and Balater. Ca la Gran Cristiana.

Thursday, 28 July:
18:30: Children's "marxa fresca" (white party). Plaça Vella.
21:00: Music of the 60s with the duo Yesterday; party for older people. Sant Domingo cloister.
21:45: Country folk dance with the dance school of Pollensa, accompanied by the group Ballugall. Plaça Major.
22:00: Choral concert with the Pollensa choir. Music from the 20th century. Monti-sion church.

Friday, 29 July:
10:00: Table games till 19:00. Joan March gardens.
11:00: Polipons. Children's stories and tales plus workshop. Plaça Vella.
19:00: Children's races (from age four years). Pollensa athletics club.
19:30: Small business association gives bikes to winning customers (whatever this means). In front of the Convent church.
20:00: Indoor football tournament final. Sports arena.
20:00: Judo exhibition. Plaça Major.
20:30: Presentation of the third annual review of the Cors Oberts (open hearts) organisation. Convent dels Sagrats Cors.
21:00: Open day at horse museum at Yeguada Vallori, on the Carretera Almadrava.
22:00: Traditional Pollensa dances. Performance by Corda Amarada. Sant Domingo cloister.
22:00-02:00: DJ party. Norai, Pako, Dani Nonato, Andreu Usuar, J. Gomez, Joan Garcia and Biel Garcia. Plaça de ca les Monnares.

Saturday, 30 July:
10:00: Beach rugby at the La Gola beach, Puerto Pollensa.
10:00: Badminton tournament. Sports hall.
18:00: Football: Madrid fans v. Barcelona fans. Football stadium.
18:30: Giants' meeting and then procession. Via Pollentia and then streets.
19:30: Solidarity party - supper, music and market. Joan March gardens.
22:00: Pollensa evening. Pipers, choir, glosadors, singers. Sant Domingo cloister.
23:00: The "Marxa Fresca" (white party). Plaça Major.

Sunday, 31 July:
18:00: Bouncy castle for children to five years old. Plaça Major.
19:00: Ice creams for all boys and girls. Plaça Vella.
20:00: Theatre (Catalan). "Without noises or masks" (I think). Sant Domingo cloister. Nine euros.
22:00: Popular folk dance with the Bunyola school of folk dance. Plaça Major.

Monday, 1 August:
20:00: Street procession. With the Pollensa drum and bugle band.
22:00: Theatre (as Sunday).
23:00: Party with groups Blind Chance, Dinamo, Very Pomelo. Plaça Major.

Tuesday, 2 August:
05:00: The traditional "Alborada". At the Plaça Major and other locations. In Puerto Pollensa from the square.
11:00: Mass and then dance by "cossiers" (12:15). Parish church and Plaça Major.
12:45: Prize giving at the Monti-sion church with performance by the Pollensa music band.
13:00: Refreshments for all. Town hall.
17:00: Procession with the drums and bugles of Soldà.
17:30: Procession with the image of La Patrona.
19:00: THE MOORS AND CHRISTIANS.
21:30. Thanksgiving. Song of joy by Costa i Llobera. Interpretation of the Alborada and "Visca Pollença" by the Pollensa music band.
Fireworks. Plaça Major.
Old 23-07-2011, 11:48

No fireworks for Pollensa either. Shall have to go to Can Picafort on 15th August for my yearly evening of oooohs and aaaahs.
Old 23-07-2011, 21:17
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD40 View Post
No fireworks for Pollensa either. Shall have to go to Can Picafort on 15th August for my yearly evening of oooohs and aaaahs.
It does say Fireworks, Placa Major (at the end) - is that where they usually are?
Old 24-07-2011, 07:17

The original programme does refer to a "traca", Zelda, which literally is a string of fireworks. Whatever fireworks there are will not be the grand display of previous years. There is no set item in the schedule for the display that usually takes place.

Fire of a different sort. Some bright sparks thought it a good idea to set fire to the ribbons that hang over the Plaça Major for the fiesta. 12,000 euros worth of damage to bars' terrace furniture as a consequence.
Old 25-07-2011, 12:27

Andrew - when did that happen I have not heard anything??

The programme is a little misleading having the translation as fireworks I think it should read fire crackers at the end of the Patrona - similar to PP I imagine. Normally there is a grand firework display at midnight but that is not happening this year.
Old 25-07-2011, 13:35

Yes, fire crackers is almost certainly right, Jan. There definitely is no big display this year. Remains to be seen what they do at Can Picafort, which is usually always a remarkable display, but Santa Margalida town hall's skint as well.
Old 29-07-2011, 22:03

For Jan and for anyone else, just to say that the Can Picafort fireworks and "piromusical" spectacular seems to have escaped the financial crisis unscathed. Monday 15 August at 23:59 (so insists the programme). The best of all the fireworks displays at the local fiestas - IMO.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:18

Smile Giants on parade today

This is the itinerary the Giants have sent out for today:-

"Today Saturday, 30 July 2011, from 18:30 pm the parade of the Gigants de Mallorcal i la Colla de Marialsin Via Pollentia.

From 19:00 am Parade through the streets of the Gegants via streets Miquel Bota Totxo, Roser Vell, Puig de Maria, Guillem Cifre de Colonya, Jardins Joan March, Miquel Bota Totxo, Alcúdia, Pius XI & ending up in the Plaça de ca les Monnares, where they dance together, Do not miss it!!!! "

We saw them in April and they were great fun!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12

Enjoy La Patrona today everyone lucky enough to be over there, report back if you can and tell us all about it.

On island time!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52
Super Moderator

Was woken this morning by a rather loud rocket being let off and i can hear a band playing , this is the precursor for the main events in the Town. The weather is perfect for it too.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23

I dont think you would have been the only one woken up early Sparky! 5am drums in the village!!?? Mind you, some people hadn't even bothered trying to go to sleep anyway!

The local inhabitants of Pollensa will stage the traditional battle between Moors and Christians.
Info. At 5am awakening with drums “alborada” throughout the village. At 11am solemn mass and dance offering by the “cossiers” who at 12.15pm will dance at the square. At 5.30pm procession of the patron saint of Pollensa. At 7pm mock battle between Moors and Christians. At 9.30pm solemn mass with the musical participation of the Goigs de Costa i Llobera. At the Plaza Major music by Pollensa’s Music Band and firework display to end festivities.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45
Super Moderator

Yes but as previously reported by JMD and Andrew, there will be no fireworks display Belladonna .
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25

I too was awoken with a bang - literally!! Before going to bed last night we had discussed going to the square at 0800hrs for the Alborada and then enjoy cafe and ensemaida but the idea was somehow not so attractive this morning!!
Now trying to take it easy to save my energy for the battle this afternoon. Hope to see lots of you there..... MOLTS D`ANYS.
Old 02-08-2011, 13:27

No fireworks, true, you will just have to make do with the big banging of the drums etc!