Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 19:04

One more sleep...cant wait
Sponsored Links
Old 15-01-2010, 20:16
Super Moderator

To all of you who are coming over tomorrow can i just say:- have a safe journey and hope to see you around the port during the fiesta.
Old 15-01-2010, 22:36

Smile

Hiya sparky... off to bed now, 3 am start sooo looking forward to the fiesta and the meet, thank u so much for providing all the info)

nite nite cya tomorrow !

Miriam x
Old 15-01-2010, 23:18

just re arranged the cases...its very strange having a nights sleep before coming to PP...we are usually on a 6am flight which means no sleep..
hope we do see everyone around the port...we will have to have something to recognise forum members by
Old 15-01-2010, 23:29
Super Moderator

I will take a copy of "Talk of the North" with me if that helps.
Old 15-01-2010, 23:38

good idea..will keep a look out...it will be easy to recognise us...just listen for the welsh accents (and OH is 6'5 so u cant miss him)
Old 15-01-2010, 23:50
Super Moderator

Flippin eck!! Cath i'm only just 5' i can't see that high up.
Old 16-01-2010, 00:03

5' in your heels
Old 16-01-2010, 09:34
Super Moderator

LOL!! @ SWS. All good things come in little packages......................yes i know..........so does dynamite .
Old 16-01-2010, 18:47
Super Moderator

Well i have been walking around the port this afternoon and preparations are well under way. Roads have been closed and bonfires built, have taken some photos. I will be off out soon to meet some forum peeps then going on a tour of the fires , camera in hand. The church bells are ringing so any time now the festivities will start, will give a full report and post the pics as soon as i have recovered from what i know is going to be a long night.
HASTA LUEGO amigos.
Old 17-01-2010, 18:38

Hope all those of you who came for the festivities had a good time. I took some friends across to Sa Pobla to watch the most amazing firework display and devil fire run,then on to Pollensa old town to watch their fire run display. The locals just love running around the devils with their fire. Today watched the Parade of Animals in the Old Town before returning to the port to watch the Pine tree being dragged from the sea and around the town. At 4.30 no-one had reached the top,anyone got an update? What a weekend.

Last edited by lollipop; 17-01-2010 at 21:49.
Old 17-01-2010, 21:29

Smile

We gave up around 3 in PP and headed for the animal blessing in Alcudia which (as an animal lover ) I totally enjoyed, specially the escape artistes ! One very large bugsy and one equally large beautiful grey moggie with a red ribbon !Noah would have been proud of the selection
got back to PP around 6 and the tree was still there but no one climbing so I guess inbetween someone made it !

Miriam
Old 17-01-2010, 21:38
Super Moderator

Yes the tree was eventually conquered at a minute to 5pm, it took the guy 8minutes. It was a pity we had light rain today and i think it made it more difficult for the climbers. These men must be crazy, ok i know the drink helps but it's scary to watch.
Old 17-01-2010, 21:50

So glad that someone made it. The drinks will be on him tonight.
Old 18-01-2010, 11:24
Super Moderator

Yes Lollipop, i was told he won €500.
I thoroughly enjoyed Sant Antoni, it has been great to be able to follow the fiesta from start to finish. I had a walk around the port on Saturday taking photos, there was an air of excitement everywhere i went. Then i went back out to meet Miriam, her parents and Lorenzo at the Cultural, i have to say i was disappointed because the Cultural did not have a fire, just a small one for the BBQ. We sat outside, opposite Makasaar's fire, which they lit while we were there and the heat was incredible. I left the Cultural and spent the rest of the evening visiting the fires, the noise was incredible what with the musicians playing pipes and drums, the bangers going off every 2 seconds, loud music from bars and of course the hundreds of people who were out celebrating.
Most local bars were selling plates of meat which you cooked yourself on their fires, prices varied from €5 to €10. JK's had a BBQ menu with hot and cold buffet for €7.50, The Nags Head had a free hot buffet and Nostalgia had a Hog Roast for €3.50. Everyone seemed to be having a great time but by 2am i had to go to bed.
I was woken early yesterday morning by 2 or 3 very loud bangs, this was the signal for the local men to go to Formentor to cut down and prepare the pine tree, this was brought back to the port on a boat and came ashore on the beach to the left of the Daina pool. It was then dragged around the streets, pipes and drums lead the procession and a man frequently let off rockets and others let off bangers and firecrackers. The pine was then erected outside the church, the square was buzzing, by now i was hungry so i went for lunch. Many guys tried and failed to scale the tree but it was raining and i think that made it more difficult, finally, at 4.50 pm a guy started to climb it, he stopped halfway to remove his jumper and just before 5pm he broke the bag at the top and the confetti poured out. Hundreds of people cheered and clapped, more rockets and bangers were let off and everyone went home. . I have taken loads of photos and when i have uploaded them onto Flickr i will let you know.