Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/events-fiestas-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Experiences of the 2009 Wine Festival (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/events-fiestas-pollensa-majorca/4573-experiences-2009-wine-festival.html)

pollensa 26-04-2009 17:46

Experiences of the 2009 Wine Festival

I thought I'd start a new thread for people who went to the Wine Festival to describe their visit. It would be great to hear from any of the wine experts as we went very much as lay wine lovers.

Anyway we went along today, Sunday, & started the day by catching the 10am bus from the Port (stop by the tourist office). It was packed & we were lucky to get on. As it starts at Club del Sol I'd recommend getting on at an earlier stop.

The bus stops very close to the cloisters so we arrived not long after it opened. By the time we left at about 12:15 you could hardly move. Tickets cost 5 euro each - all visitors are presented with a very useful foldable blue shopping bag (to save trees!), an engraved wine glass & a very useful booklet with a page for each of the 38 bodegas, a list of their wines & space for notes. All of these were set up at individual tables - some had wines for sale with price lists & we saw a few bottles being sold but mainly tastings were taking place. There was water to rinse glasses & crackers (good for lining your stomach as well as cleaning your palette!).

So where do you start? In the end I mainly chose bodegas I had heard of as I thought I'd be more likely to see them in the supermarket & in restaurants. My husband also tried some roses & we found a couple of these we liked.

So these are my favourites but I can't tell you why I'm afraid - my notes were limited to yes, no, not bad, very nice!

Ca'n Vidalet - Blanc de Negre 2008 - a blush (very pale rose)
Miquel Oliver - Syrah Negre - lovely, smelled & tasted of blackberries
'Divins' - Cabernet 2006 - not bad
Mortitx - Rosat 2008 - light & quite dry
Mortitx - Dolc de Gel - a gorgeous dessert wine (I asked for the Rosado but the man at the table looked at me, rinsed out my glass with water & insisted I tried it!)
Jaume Mesquida - Negre 2007 - light & very drinkable
Ca'n Pico - Malvasia dolca 2005 - another lovely dessert wine
Ca'n Pico - Tres Uvas 2003 - nice & smooth
Son Bordils Syrah 2004 - very good - I'd heard this mentioned on the forum so had to try it. Later I saw it on a restaurant menu for 32 eur
Son Bordils - Merlot 2004 - another good one
Son Bordils - Rosat 2008 - the best rose we tried

& then my husband told me to stop...

After that it was a stroll through the market, coffees in the square and a slow stroll towards the top of the town for a great Sunday lunch in El Moli & finally back down the hill to the taxi rank. There had been a high likelihood of rain today but it's only just started this afternoon so we've been very lucky.

So if anyone else went, do post your recommendations!:)

JH02JLH 26-04-2009 18:06

Thanks, Pollensa, for such a great review! I have been thinking of you all today and wishing I was there!

The Son Bordils Syrah is my very favourite Mallorcan wine and yes, can be quite pricey on restaurant menus. However, for a special occasion, it's well worth it.

Glad you enjoyed!

Jane:)

Gommar Goffer 26-04-2009 18:18

Hi Pollensa y all - I and a colleague have just got back from the fair to blighty!

This is just a quick posting - I will add more when I have deciphered our notes!!

We spent the 2 days at the fair (had hoped to get to go to the trade session on Friday evening but they had cancelled it this year) and tasted 70 - 80 wines in depth!! But I just wanted to warn you about the saturday evening session for next year - it was mad. Apart from the fact that the heavens opened, pushing everyone undercover, all the kids from the town poured in to get tanked up on cheap booze, pushing and shoving and smoking all sots of stuff. Now I am a smoker, but not at a wine tasting!!

We gave up early - about 7pm and returned today (Sunday) to finish our quest!

GG

sws97sdg 26-04-2009 19:18

Great reviews all of you, you are making me very jealous, perhaps next year I can get over for it.
Hows you head now Zelda?

JH02JLH 26-04-2009 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer (Post 29815)
...all the kids from the town poured in to get tanked up on cheap booze, pushing and shoving and smoking all sots of stuff. Now I am a smoker, but not at a wine tasting!!
GG

Sacrilege!!:eek:

pollensa 30-04-2009 10:18

There are some great photos of the Wine Festival here: Fotos de la Feria del Vino de Pollença 2009 | Cultura Pollensa, Mallorca