Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-2008, 04:01
JennyP

Default Events in Pollenca Spring 2008

We were staying in the old town last year at end April and on, I think, the last Thursday of the month they put up a large stage in the square for a group playing traditional music with a modern slant. They were great and many of the locals got up and danced which was fantastic to watch (too scared to try & join in!). There was also a procession around the town which included some "giants", St George and the dragon and a witch. Can anyone fill me in on what this was and if there is any chance that it will be repeated this April when we are there again.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47

Hi Jenny, This was the fiesta of San Jordi (George) and will be celebrated on Sunday 20th April with a procession leaving around 1800hrs from Monti-sion square I think. On the Tuesday 22nd there will be a book fair until Friday 25th in the centre Cultural. San Jordi is known here as the day of the book and tradiiton has it that men give ladies a rose and ladies give men a book ( I think!). Enjoy - the 20th is the 2nd day of the wine fair so looks like Pollença will be the place to be on that date.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03

Thanks for that. I was beginning to despair of an answer! Unfortunetely we won't be there until 26th so will miss out. Mind you, as I am sporting a broken hip and the crutches that go with it, I'll be avoiding crowds!!
Old 08-04-2008, 20:53

What a shame...we will miss it too.Not arriving until 21st.

I suppose it's too early yet for details of Feste de la Verge del Carmen for 2008.

Cath
Old 10-04-2008, 18:14

Oh dear, wishing you a speedy recovery - sounds like you need and deserve a holiday.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25

Thanks for your good wishes. I think my husband will need the holiday more then I! I'm sure Mallorca will have its usual restorative effect. Thank god we didn't have to cancel. Even if we can't do as much as usual I can't wait to be sitting in the square in Pollenca listening to the swifts and martins and overdosing on excellent coffee. I think I'll keep off the G&Ts until I'm steadier on my feet (or should that be foot?)
Old 11-04-2008, 14:00

Yes JennyP I wish you a speedy recovery as well, I'm sure Pollensa will be the only tonic you need, great description of the square you took me back there for a moment, counting down the days till we are back sitting there as well....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:47
Super Moderator

Hi CathB, is Feste de la Verge del Carmen sometime in May?. I seem to remember celebrating it with a local as it was also her birthday. I'd had a few VATs so i could be wrong.
Old 12-04-2008, 13:43
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs018q4743 View Post
is Feste de la Verge del Carmen sometime in May?.
This fiesta is celebrated near to July 16th. Unforunately we never get confirmation until a a couple of weeks beforehand. If anyone has any definite dates, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 14:20
Super Moderator

OOPS must have had more VATS than i thought, its the Virgin del Pilar i was thinking of, i have to start putting more tonic in it. HIC!!
Old 12-04-2008, 18:07

Thnaks all...we are usually there for the "fireworks" which are normally the Sunday nearest the 16th..this year we will be there 12-26th July so we will be ok however my daughter and the rest of our party are joining us for a week (15 - 22) so they may miss them..we will have to wait and see.
Old 12-04-2008, 21:45

Default Fireworks 13th or 20th

Hoping for 10th coz don;t arrive until 14th .......... having to "fit" hols around teenagers school trip ........... fine for some she will be on a month long holiday !