Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2006, 06:13

Default Sant Antoni ( H.S.E. read no further)

don't know if many of you guys managed to see this year's fiesta? Fortunately managed to co-incide with really brief visit for the fun and festivities. The weather was absolutely perfect (warm and sunny with balmy evenings and hardly a ripple on the sea).

The first evidence of things to come was dodging the sand piles in the port's road last weekend.Apparently each community ( blocks of appartments/restaurants) can arrange for these deposits from the Council in order to protect the road surfaces. Monday was a hive of activity as each pile was converted into a bonfire and these were real bonfires, not your run of the mill lets burn a few leaves in the back garden bonfires.Logs and tree trunks of enormous girth were carefully placed to build structures of enormous size. As the day went on effigies and models were placed on top. Our local one ( supported by Neptuno II behind the church) proudly displayed a wonderful six foot high model of the Empire State Building with King Kong straddling the top, topical and traditional all in one attempt. We all wait, excited like kids, for the darkness cos this was going to be Guy Fawkes night and Halloween ( there were devils all around) in one !!!

The skirl of the bagpipes ( or to be correct the xeremiers) at about 7 p.m. had us running out into the streets as the judging of the unlit fires had started. Off into the night to inspect everyone's sterling efforts. Barrels of free red wine were everywhere with the cry to help yourselves and tables set up groaning with sausages, chops, fish etc ready for the cooking later. Not sure what triggered the fire lighting cos there were intermittant firecrackers going off since 6.30 but about 8 p.m. all was aglow. Back in the square where there were about 4/5 fires young kids were poking the fires and people began cooking . No fire tenders stood by, as there would be here in our Health and Safety ruled lives.Everybody was now aglow with the heat and the copius amounts of wine being consumed. Similar scenes were being witnessed all over town as every community seemed to have their own fire. Finished up bopping to the band in the Cultural in the early hours as people came to mingle around the still fiercely burning piles. Chairs were set up around them cos this was not going to be an early night !!!!!

Fast forward to 8 a.m. on Tuesday as a beautiful day beckoned and the first firework went off calling folk to get to Formentor beach for more barbequeing and drinking whilst the fire tree was felled, stripped and prepared for the seatrip to the port. Apparently copious amounts of Palo ( ?) , a carob pod fortified wine were being consumed ( Research here for you Jane here).

We opted for the quiet life and went to the square to await the tree and observe the blessing of the beasts ( Sant Antoni being the patron saint). By midday the sunbaked square was full again with people and many loved pets. Countless dogs , puppies,cats, rabbits, caged birds, a miniature pony , horses with riders. Many of the dogs sported colourful neckscarves. "Ohs" and Ahs" from the little children as they ran about petting and stroking the many species out in the sun. Half an hour later , the parish priest appeared on the steps of the church as owners and pets shuffled past so that the pets could receive the benediction and a splash of holy water. It was a wonderful sight and the feelgood factor from all present was immense.

After a while fireworks exploded to indicate the tree was on it's way. Now if you haven't seen this festival it's like a suicidal "Its a knockout" competition played by inebriated palo fuelled young bucks ( No disrespect because this is a serious local tradition). The tree ( probably 40 odd feet tall) is towed around the streets , People on balconies are requested to drench the young bucks with water. Eventually the tree arrives in the square piped in by the xeremiers ( backed up by Samba drummers), everyone rushes forward to grab the pulling ropes. In a trice ( and helped by the council lorry crane) it's wedged vertical and true in front of the church. A huge plastic sack has been attached to the top and off the young lads go trying to straddle their way to the top. The feinthearted look away , probably with memories of serious injuries from previous years. A few lads fight to get up the first few feet. Then a youngster manages to get halfway as the crowd begin to cheer. Another guy follows him up and passes the first at a good twenty five feet up and on and on. Stopping intermittantly to regain what must be enormous strength and stamina he's up and up further. The crowd erupts as he punches the sack open and confetti sprays all over the place." Bravo, Bravo " we all cry and I believe this was a pretty fast climbing this year so not really sure if the crowd were expecting longer lasting excitement. The crowd dispells satisfied it's been achieved, the fires from the night before are still smoldering and embers burn away.

It's a great fiesta and still proves that tradition and culture will always overcome what to us in the UK
is becoming a HSE nanny state. You just couldn't see it happening in Brighton or Birmingham. Catch it sometime.

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 20-01-2006, 07:41

What a fantastic post, Bonyslad!

Thanks for such an interesting read on the Fiesta and I can only wish I had been there as well.

I will look up the carob pod fortified wine and see if I can find anything on it! Sounds lethal!

I have to agree with you, though, about the difference in the two countries - I just can't imagine anything like that happening in the UK without a full set of rules and regulations ruining everyone's fun...

Regards
Jane
Old 20-01-2006, 19:55
Founder

Have heard before from residents that it's a great sight. Do you happen to have taken any photos?
Old 21-01-2006, 04:37

Sounds really good fun and will have to go one year and drink in the atmosphere..and drink!

Our friend Joan has regailed us with stories of him scaling the tree..sounds exciting but terrifying and not sure if I could bear to watch!:eek

Is this the same fiesta that I read about in the paper this week where, in certain parts of Spain they ride horses through bonfires? ..not PP I hope? If so it seems a strange way to celebrate and bless animals!

Debs
Old 21-01-2006, 23:19

Jane,

It seems to be a pretty evil brew, sounds to me like a sort of sloe gin but by using carob pod seeds. See what you can find out

Pollensaman,

Sorry didn't take any photos but I expect there might be some reports in the next edition of the Talk of the North mag cos the fiesta is basically a north Mallorcan one. Apparently the fires in Pollensa were even better than the port.

Debs,

No ,different festival I think cos there were no animals near the fires. The little pets at the blessing were terrified when they kept letting off firecrackers though.

BonysLad
Old 22-01-2006, 21:52
ChrisLox

Hola Amigos,
Great post! It summed up the experience very well. I took loads of pictures and will post on Flickr.com later today. The b-b-q at Formentor was lovely, a great atmosphere and well worth making the effort for! Can't wait for next years!
I must add what a fantastic month January has been and I think the Mallorcan tourist board should do more to promote it to potential visitors! Since we moved to the Port mid December we have already had Christmas, New Year, The Three Kings and St Antoni and more sunshine than the whole of the UK last year (sorry to rub it in!!!). Anyway please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Looking forward to the next festival already!!!
Adios,
Chris&Claire
Old 24-01-2006, 02:18

Default San Antoni

We were at the Fiesta and it was really great. We also were in Bar Tranuntana, I wonder if we were on the next table BonysLad, we were by the window by the bonfire. We had a fantastic Aroz Brut.
Next day we were at Formentor. This was fantastic also, must have been hundreds there. Everyone brings BBQs and then we are all given free sausages and sardines and bread. I brought a home made tumbet and someone else brought some Jamie Oliver "Botham Burgers".
Then back to the square to see the dragging and climbing of the tree.
I've got some photos, but don't know how to upload.
Old 24-01-2006, 06:50

Default Re: San Antoni

Hi Mallorcaboy!

Great to see you posting again! Have missed your messages lately.

If you need to upload your photos, just give anyone who has posted a shout. It's easy once you know how.

I can talk you through it or perhaps Rob can if he is about.

Rather than go into detail here, I can perhaps send you a message and take it from there.

Would love to see those photos.

Jane
Old 24-01-2006, 08:37
med777

Default Re: San Antoni

this is that tail chasing the dog !
I had already enjoyed Chis's pics today but wanted to know what it was all about, then logged in here tonite and a great post from Bonyslad put everything together! Thanx to u both ( maybe u should get together for future events ! lol )
Old 25-01-2006, 01:27

Default San Antoni

Up loaded my pictures to Flicka
Old 28-01-2006, 05:54

Mallorcaboy

No we didn't eat in Neptuno II, walked about and grabbed the special menu in Centrica before carrying on partying elsewhere. Heard Neptuno II was good though as other friends were there.

I'm sure we will meet up through Smiddy cos he thinks we will all end up drinking coffee in the square as " grumpy old men".

Bonyslad