Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonsey
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By TOTNMallorca
  • 1 Post By TOTNMallorca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 20:46

Default Moors and Christians 2014

Managed to grab a cheeky weekend in PP 1st to 5th August and for the first time ever will be there to witness this occasion

So I need some insider information

What time to get into Pollensa? Where best to stand ? How to get back to the Port ( do I need to walk ? or will there be cabs ? )

There will be 5 adults .... we are quite fearless so whilst not wanting to get hurt, we do want to experience the occasion to the full and are certainly not content with just waiting at the football ground for the final battle - I want to hear the initial proclamation, watch the battle and really soak up the atmosphere

Also - 3 of out party are arriving a few days before us and so a programme would be really useful - surely even the Pollensa tourist office should have one out by now
Old 21-07-2014, 21:36

Hi 'CD',
Wrote this review a few days back on Trip advisor. Save typing again, here goes:
The "Battle" is always held on August 2nd. I was there a few years ago and the experience is quite amazing. One thing to remember is that it gets very, very crowded! I positioned myself on the steps outside the Hotel Jordi at 5pm, a good couple of hours before the battle starts at 7pm I had no idea at the time whether I'd picked a good or bad vantage point, but soon realised it was pivotal to the celebration.

You mention the fact that your daughter is five. Does she scare easily? As I mentioned it does get very, very busy and crowded, and particularly noisy, with gunshots etc., but a fantastic spectacle it certainly is. As i mentioned, I stood on the steps outside the little church by the Hotel Jordi. Being elevated it enabled me to have a good view, so will allow your daughter to see the battle. Also, they do fire muskets from this position, and they are extremely loud.

Regarding the restaurants, I'm sure you wouldn't find many open, certainly not in the centre, as it's a festival that seems to involve all the people of the town! Most of the restaurants set up 'drinks' stalls outside, but am sure these didn't sell food.If you want to get a 'feel' of the action I took half a dozen shots and you can find them hiding in the following link to my Mallorca photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/373997...7594506753547/

Hope this has been helpful, and that you have a great time. Also, remember to Google 'La Patrona' on You Tube.

Have just found this old post that was sent to Trip advisor back in 2012:

"....i have been to the Patrona for about 7 years it does get really busy , The town is dressed for every night leading up to the battle mainly in the square. White night is a good night to go. the lead up starts up quite slowly with dances etc for the older folk then white night it all starts gearing up( wear white) .. Are you going with young children.. if so I would stay away as it gets too rowdy, battle starts about 5 on the Friday , people start to line streets about 3 ish to get a good place, starts near cockeral fountain cant remember street, and does get very pushy and mad when battle commences.. google Patrona and you will see!!"

It's a wonderful occasion, one I'd love to be part of sometime soon. Enjoy!
JMD40 likes this.
Old 21-07-2014, 22:45
Super Moderator

Sorry It's CD but we are all still waiting for the program to be issued
El Gordo likes this.
Old 22-07-2014, 08:24

According to TOTN it is about to be distributed. We always avoid the crush in the town and go to the football ground for the final part of the Battle. The crowds then return to the town and the various parties go into the church. Fireworks at midnight. a really good view can be had from the top of the Calvario steps although we have also seen them from rooftops in Puerto Pollensa both in the Siller and LLenaire area.
Old 22-07-2014, 10:29
Super Moderator

Thanks to the TOTN the timetable is here :- Patrona 2014
lollipop likes this.
Old 22-07-2014, 11:14

Smile

Sparky! You beat me to it again! Thanks for posting
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:28
Super Moderator

And also many thanks to Andrew at The HOT guide AlcudiaPollensa: POLLENSA - LA PATRONA 2014.

Quote:
POLLENSA - LA PATRONA 2014

Monday, 21 July - Wednesday, 23 July:
22.00: Musical theatre "Cadenes i Grillons" (Chains and Shackles) at the Sant Domingo cloister.

Friday, 25 July:
20.30: Presentation of the novel "Cor mentider" (Heart Liar) by Marc Cerdó. Ull Viu library, C. Antoni Maura.
21.00: Presentation of the book "De la figuera a la taula" (The Fig Tree on the Table) by Felip Munar. Club Pollença.
22.00: Benefit concert by Cap Pela, "Feel 'n' Soul". Sant Domingo cloister. Ten euros, tickets from Club Pollença and in the port, Hotel Eolo and Bellini.

Saturday, 26 July:
14.00: Bell-ringing and firing of rockets to signal the start of the fiestas. Procession by the Soldà band of cornets. Plaça de Monti-sion.
18.00: Open doors at Can Llobera. Plaça Vella.
18.00: Children's party with Astronautes Estrellats. Plaça de Ca les Monnares.
20.00: Opening of photography exhibition for caving and cave-diving. Club Pollença.
20.00: Martial arts demonstration. Plaça Major.
20.30: Procession with the band of cornets and drummers.
20.30: Exhibition of old photography and design by Toni Galmés. Club Pollença.
22.00: Pregón opening address for the fiestas by Miquel Amengual Cifre, "L'agost ens duu la Patrona i l'auge del turisme", and concert by the Pollensa band of music followed by procession. Sant Domingo cloister.

Sunday, 27 July:
10.00: Indoor trial (motor bikes). Can Conill.
18.30: Meeting of giants of Mallorca. Via Pollentia.
19.30: Horse tricks. Pollensa Equestrian Club on the poligono industrial estate.
22.00: Pollensa Festival. "La Cançó de la Terra", Sant Domingo cloister (see Pollensa Festival programme for full information).
22.00: Ballroom dance. Plaça Major.

Monday, 28 July:
19.00: Puppet shows for children. Plaça Major.
22.00: Musical theatre "Cadenes i Grillons" (Chains and Shackles) at the Sant Domingo cloister. Benefit performance.
22.00: Pollensa young DJs and night party in the Plaça Ca les Monnares.

Tuesday, 29 July:
19.00: Children's games followed by ice-creams. Plaça Ca les Monnares.
21.30: Ball de bot folk dance. Plaça Major.
21.30: Pollensa Choir presents "Hello Music" with the Mallorca Gay Men's Choir. Sant Domingo cloister. Five euros entrance. Tickets from Club Pollença and other places.
23.45: Party in the Ca la Gran Cristiana gardens. Organised by the Pollensa Association of Musicians.

Wednesday, 30 July:
19.00: XOP park party (water and foam) for kids. Plaça Ca les Monnares.
19.30: Benefit party with supper, music and market. Joan March gardens.
21.30: Pollensa evening. Tribute to the glosador Amador Magraner Inachiti plus performances by folk groups, choirs, pipers and others. Sant Domingo cloister.
22.30: Concert with Martta, Jaume Mas and Pantanito. Plaça Major.

Thursday, 31 July:
10.00-12.00: Demonstration of the making of handmade sandals (as used for the Moors and Christians battle). C. de la Mar (Can Xumet).
16.30-20.30: Table games. Joan March gardens.
22.00: "Sons i colors" (sounds and colours). Pollensa artists 1900-1950. Jazz, choirs and other music. One euro plus donation. Sant Domingo cloister.
23.30: The Marxa Fresca white party. DJs Tomeu Perelló and Toni Llobera. Plaça Major.

Friday, 1 August:
20.00: Procession with the Pollensa cornets and drums band and the Pollensa band of music.
21.00: Concert by Dani Daniel. Sant Domingo cloister.
22.30: Party, tribute to Catalan rock - Sopa de Cabra "Bona nit, malparits" (goodnight, bastards) - and the group Pikos Pardos. Plaça Major.

Saturday, 2 August:
05.00: The Alborada in the Plaça Major and streets.
08.00: Alborada in the Puerto Pollensa church square.
11.00: Mass and dance by the Cossiers. Parish church.
12.15: Dance by the Cossiers. Plaça Major.
12.45: Pollensa band of music performance. Monti-sion church.
13.00: Aperitif for everyone. At the town hall.
17.00: Procession with the Soldà troupe of cornets and drummers.
17.30: Procession with the ancient image of La Patrona.
19.00: Moors and Christians battle.
21.30: Thanksgiving. Song of joy by Costa i Llobera. Interpretation of the Alborada and "Visca Pollença" by the Pollensa music band.
23:30: Fireworks. At the Costa i Llobera monument.
Old 22-07-2014, 22:26

Thanks everyone

Next question ..... Will this have any impact on the live music in the port for the weekend or will all be as usual
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25

Hola, this week's issue of Talk of the North has some Moors & Christians information and article, including the words to Visca Pollensa so we can all sing along!

http://static.squarespace.com/static...2014%20WEB.pdf
Sparky likes this.
Old 11-08-2014, 23:31

Some great photos via this link Moros i Cristians 2014 :: Balearic's Life ::