Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca

Events & Fiestas in Pollensa and Majorca Do you know of any forthcoming events or fiestas? Have you visited any? Let us know.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By andrew711
  • 2 Post By MairiCladach
  • 2 Post By Smiddy
  • 1 Post By andrew711
  • 1 Post By Belladonna
  • 1 Post By kcdc230

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 17:23

Default Bull Fighting

I appreciate that this subject can cause a degree of strong feeling, but I have often thought it would be fascinating to visit a bull fight and am trying to find out details of where and when they might still happen in Mallorca.

We are visiting PP from 3rd August to 17th August this year.

I'm not sure that I could face a 'real' fight, but I have read that there are mock fights held at the Alcudia bull ring during the summer.

Having done some research on line, I have found mention on more than one website of a mock fight being held on 15th August at Alcudia. Can anybody confirm if that is definitely the case?

Likewise, does anybody know of any other websites/information that could assist in my research? I believe that there are also bull rings in Muro, Felanitx, Palma and Inca, but I'm having trouble finding any information on line, such as dates, times, ticket information, etc.

Also, if anybody has visited any fights, be they real or mock, I would be appreciative of any comments they might like to make - good, or bad.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 18:17

What does a 'mock' fight involve??
Old 03-06-2013, 18:31

I don't think Felanitx has a bullfight any longer. Inca's was cancelled last year because of lack of town hall finance, though I seem to think that it went ahead with private money; it is usually held during the Abdon/Senen fiestas at the end of July. Alcudia's is also in July and Muro's in June. These are all real bullfights, as is Palma's, which is during the second week of August; it was the first I went to when I was fourteen. Put Palma Corrida de Toros into Google and this will give you information in Spanish at least.

Not sure about mock bullfights, but Alcúdia has staged a further bullfight in August (middle weekend of the month) which is for novice bullfighters. This was the case two years ago, but I don't know that it is necessarily a regular event.

The bullfight is undoubtedly a spectacle, but as for the tormenting and killing of the bull, it is unsavoury to say the least. I have been to Alcúdia's in recent years, but it is hard to stomach.
Sparky, lollipop and MairiCladach like this.
Old 03-06-2013, 18:45

While I do understand that, as Andrew rightly says, bullfighting must indeed be a 'spectacle' - and I do respect his balanced reply - I have to say that, surely in this day and age, one can find their thrills and 'spectacles' in other ways that involve no such needless barbarity towards an innocent animal? I am not being deliberately inflammatory nor am I being naïve; although having said that I guess I have been very naïve in some ways, kidding myself that most people share my mindset!

Why not go and watch the spectacle of fabulous flamenco instead, or to one of the nature reserves for a bit of bird-watching, or take in an evening at Son Amar?!!
lollipop and eleanor like this.
Old 03-06-2013, 21:04

I can assure you Alcudia is not a mock up, it is very real, I have been many times , there is a brass band & the bulls are carved up by 12-15 butchers, the meat is divided up & dispatched to several old folks homes.
Afterwards there is always a procession by the locals with the band playing , I beleive it is linked to some sort of Religious event,with much vino consumed.
I have also been to Inca which is a much larger venue,last year over 200 protesters tried to persuade people not to enter ,to no avail.
Old 03-06-2013, 21:15

And what are your honest views on this Cumberland??
Old 04-06-2013, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MairiCladach View Post
What does a 'mock' fight involve??
I saw one in Portugal many years ago, everything was there , the matador, the skill, the bull-ring etc , but they did not harm the animal. So it is possible to enjoy it without the violence.
marilyn and Nick like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28

Thank you to everybody who has replied so far.

The reference to a 'mock' bull fight was found on a website relating specifically to Alcudia, which I reproduce here;

"twice year on certain days mock bull fights take place, a great time to see some of the drama and culture without the blood. These are on July 25th (Saint Jaume) and on August 15th (Mare de Déu d’Agost)."

Thank you to Smiddy for your explanation of what you saw in Portugal. To be honest, I think this is what I would be interested to see, rather than the 'blood and guts' in a real fight. However, cumberland8's comment that the Alcudia fight he saw 2 years ago was 'very real' may put me off.

To MairiCladach, I fully appreciate and sympathise with your views - and it is good that we can have an open debate about it. I completed agree with your comments about taking in a flamenco, or visiting a nature reserve - all things that my family and I enjoy doing. Having said that, Spain (and particularly Mallorca) is a country that I have fallen in love with over the past decade, and to fully immerse oneself in all of a countries (legal) traditions, then a bull fight must surely be on the agenda.

Having said all of that, I am not a particularly blood thirsty person - I can't even watch the gory bits on 'Sun, Sea and A&E'! - so I am really leaning towards Alcudia's so-called 'mock' fight in the hope that what cumberland8 saw was the last of their real fights.
Old 04-06-2013, 17:28

Kcdc, I don't know which website you're referring to, but it's wrong. The bullfights in Alcudia are the real thing. The date of the first (Sant Jaume) moves as well; it's usually the Sunday of the Sant Jaume fiestas week as opposed to necessarily the day of Sant Jaume, which is 25 July. As for the August bullfight, as I said before, I'm unsure if this is a regular event, but if so, it will feature blood and more. I have never heard of a mock bullfight.

Immersion in Spanish tradition, where the bullfight is concerned, means one dead bull, or several, as there are usually up to half a dozen "fights".
MairiCladach likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 17:37

We went to one in Alcudia about 20 years ago where they put a table in the middle of the arena and sat people down as if to have a meal, then let a baby bull in! The people were told to stay seated, but some of them climbed onto the top of the table, not sure how they thought that would be safer really! Even a baby bull is pretty flipping big in my opinion, but all went off ok that time. I wonder if Health and Safety have put a stop to that now?
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08

Once again, thank you for the balanced replies.

Andrew711 - The website I found the information about mock fights was Bull fighting ring in Alcudia - Things to Do In Alcudia | Things To Do In Alcudia but I'm more than happy to accept your first hand information. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put links to other websites on this forum, if not then please let me know moderators, and I will remove it.)

The more people are saying to me on here, the more I'm thinking that I won't be going - I may just make do with a visit to the bullring during the day!
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdc230 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put links to other websites on this forum, if not then please let me know moderators, and I will remove it.)
KCDC, we do not allow direct links to external commercial websites that don't advertise on our main web page, the one you posted is fine. If you are ever unsure just post the name and if it is ok we will enable a direct link .
Old 05-06-2013, 14:58

Must say that I'm surprised as to the source you've linked to, kcdc, as it would normally be very reliable. All I can say is that three years ago I went with German neighbours and the lady in the party, not knowing quite what to expect it seemed, had to leave. Last year in Alcudia the promoter was fined for allowing under 16s in and there was a fine also for someone who insulted an animal rights demonstrator.

My impression is that, with an increase in anti-bullfight sentiment and a decline in public interest, the bullfight in Mallorca may be coming to the end of the road, though Muro, for example, is fierce in defending the bullfight.
Old 05-06-2013, 20:13

I have been to the one in Alcudia for the past 12 years ,it is the real thing,in many ways much more real than the large ones, it is really dangerous, an ageing Matador a few years ago was nearly killed in Alcudia, I have witnessed a few very nasty gorings .
It is steeped in Spanish tradition & indeed is treated as such by the locals.

If it were banned I would not miss it.