Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Children

Children Anything to with kids & Teens!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Belladonna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33

Default Travelling with Grandchildren

We plan to bring our 3 year old grandson out with us this year, without his parents. Has anyone any experience of what we may need to do, immigrationwise?

Last year we came out together with parents with my wife holding grandson in arms. The immigration officer (in Palma) took great interest until we pointed out the parents behind us. No doubt they are taking special interest, which is good.

I believe that to go to the USA in a similar manner you need a letter of authority signed in the presence of a Notary Public.

Advice please.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 22:31

You are correct about travelling to the USA and the same goes for many other countries ( Hong Kong for example )

I don't know what the law is for spain but can tell you that we have travelled with various neices and nephews without their parents for the last 20 years and have never ever been questioned. They were never quite as young as your grandson though ..... probably youngest was about 7 and also at the time we were of an age where we could legitimately have been their parents so maybe that created less cause for concern. Interestingly the ONLY time we have ever had any problem with passport control at Palma was when our daughter travelled alone when she was 14 ( I stupidly booked our flights to leave UK the day before she was due to return home from a school trip and so she had to be looked after by my sister and fly over on her own to meet us a couple of days later ) ...... they gave her the third degree and wanted to know why she was on her own and who would be collecting her etc etc
Old 04-01-2012, 00:32

Had a look at the Spain entry requirements on the travel advice page of the Foreign Office, but no info there about your situation. Might still be worth to contact the nearest Spanish embassy.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...y/europe/spain

Spain might be less of an issue due to the Advance Passenger Information being provided with the flight booking.

To be safe (e.g. medical emergencies) you'd want to have a letter of authority signed by the parents anyway that your grandson is allowed to travel with you. Not sure if the parents are noted in a children's passport in the UK?

You'd also want to contact the airline you're travelling with and ask them if they require a letter of authority for check-in.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32

We had a bit of problem when we returned with out niece and nephews whilst their parents stayed out in Egypt for a longer holiday. They advised us that next time we should travel with an authorisation letter from the parents. An easy thing to do really, and one we should have thought of before travelling! Its good that they do check though.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
We plan to bring our 3 year old grandson out with us this year, without his parents. Has anyone any experience of what we may need to do, immigrationwise?

Last year we came out together with parents with my wife holding grandson in arms. The immigration officer (in Palma) took great interest until we pointed out the parents behind us. No doubt they are taking special interest, which is good.

I believe that to go to the USA in a similar manner you need a letter of authority signed in the presence of a Notary Public.

Advice please.
Hi Alcanadakid i found this, hope it is helpful to you Travel with Grandchildren - Important Legal Matters | Virtual Granny.
marilyn likes this.
Old 04-01-2012, 15:14

Thanks for this link Sparky. I found this very interesting as we have brought our grand daughter over with us a couple of times without her parents. It never occurred to me that there could be a problem. I will make sure we get a letter signed by them if she comes again before she is 18.
Old 04-01-2012, 17:43

Thank you everyone. The replies have been most helpful.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57

Have fun - and dont for get that little strap that attaches them to you - forever! (Think thats called a heart! )
jiggggy likes this.