Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Children

Children Anything to with kids & Teens!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 15:20

LOL! With those odds I think you can bet on it!
Sponsored Links
Old 16-09-2009, 17:05

You are absolutely right Lilliana and Wrightstuff - sorry if I sounded like a moany old killjoy! My 6 yr old twins are pretty loud and I'm sure we've annoyed people on occasions... one good thing about PP is that those cathedral-like restaurants where you have to speak in a respectful whisper don't really exist - that's one of the many reasons why we keep going back there.
Old 17-09-2009, 19:46

Kate; Lilliana; Wrightstuff

As one who "ranted" above ..... I just wanted to let you know that I have NO ISSUE at all with normal childlike behaviour ...... of course they are excited .... they are children for goodness sakes ......... of course they want to go and choose their ice creams and of course they won't be quiet ...... it fact why should they be ......... surely one of the things they are learning about is the joys of lively conversation over a meal ............ the things I was objecting to are a million miles away from that ......... I was talking about fighting at the table; throwing food; crawling between legs of other diners ......... and none of this behaviour getting anything other than a " please don't be silly dear " type comment from a "darling" parent.

And also you are so right about passing the love of PP down through the generations ........ in our family there are teens; twenties and early thirties who all came as children and love the place just as much as we do and long may it continue ................
Old 17-09-2009, 20:02

Smile

2 things occured to me while I was catching up with this thread...

Firstly, in the UK, not sure about other countries, the amount of 'family' restaurants that have sprung up where there is a play area for children. And they duly have 'inter-course' play. Whilst, yes if makes it easier for parents to all eat out as a family, it isnt really exposing children to 'the eating out' experience.
Secondly, the amount of families who do not get round the table to break bread...its a tray on the lap in front of the tv.

I think maybe these things dont help and it all comes to a head... on holiday, when the opportubity to eat in so many lovely restaurants is there.

Miriam
Old 17-09-2009, 22:03

Hi - its cd
I agree completely with you!

Miriam
Your comments are so true! We take our children to Centerparcs 3 or 4 times each year - not to every one's taste I know, but we love to cycle with the children where there are no cars around and it just suits us fine. However, almost every restaurant has a play area which makes it all feel as if you are in a children's playgym rather than an eatery. The children love it but it's not quite the same as having a lovely, chatty, family meal out.

Anyway I don't want to sound as though I am ranting again but I just think children want to have fun and be happy and that is great and there is nothing better than going out with the family and having a really bubbly,lively time - that is what families are for. I just hate it when groups of adults think it's ok to abandon their children and let waiters/other diners take care of their children which is what I witnessed twice in August in PP.

ps. slightly off topic but one of the best restaurants we went to in August for a lovely, relaxed, family meal (no frills) with a super sea view was Pepe's in Cala St Vicente. Just lovely - simple and a really happy atmosphere. Not fancy food though so don't go there if you want something fantastic. It's just homely, friendly and sweet.
Old 17-09-2009, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Kate; Lilliana; Wrightstuff

As one who "ranted" above ..... I just wanted to let you know that I have NO ISSUE at all with normal childlike behaviour ...... of course they are excited .... they are children for goodness sakes ......... of course they want to go and choose their ice creams and of course they won't be quiet ...... it fact why should they be ......... surely one of the things they are learning about is the joys of lively conversation over a meal ............ the things I was objecting to are a million miles away from that ......... I was talking about fighting at the table; throwing food; crawling between legs of other diners ......... and none of this behaviour getting anything other than a " please don't be silly dear " type comment from a "darling" parent.

And also you are so right about passing the love of PP down through the generations ........ in our family there are teens; twenties and early thirties who all came as children and love the place just as much as we do and long may it continue ................
If I saw behaviour like that I would be ranting as well!! If my son went anywhere near that far, he'd be in the car and straight home, with no TV for a week.

TBH I don't mind the restaurants with play areas (especially for the younger children). I always insist that my little chap sits with us and eats his lunch/dinner and then goes to play in the play area. I suppose because, when the Spanish have lunch out, it can last a few hours which is a long time to expect a child to sit and chat.

There is one restaurant in the Port though where I have no control over him. He's very well known to all the regulars and he loves to do the rounds and chat to everyone.......sparky will know the one because I often find him chatting to her when she's there!
Old 17-09-2009, 23:51

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianna View Post

TBH I don't mind the restaurants with play areas (especially for the younger children). I always insist that my little chap sits with us and eats his lunch/dinner and then goes to play in the play area. I suppose because, when the Spanish have lunch out, it can last a few hours which is a long time to expect a child to sit and chat.
!
Hiya Lilliana,

I agree, that these types of restaurants are good, but I think what we are all saying is ... yes ra weans should be included at dinner... BUT...it is all down to parents acting responsibly with thier children.... but cos we all have different standards....that's when it all falls down ! lol

Wee ones are a joy and at the end of the day, sometimes, we should just stop and stand and stare.....and see the beauty of thier innocence and spontinuety (spl ?? ... when we gonna get a spellchecker here ???????????)
...................and hard to do when there is a food fight going on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miriam