Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 20:12
Super Moderator

Default Workers TransUnion coaches call a strike.

TransUnion coach drivers may go on strike according to this report in the DDM, Trabajadores de autocares Transunión convocan una huelga - Diario de Mallorca.

Quote:
Palma workers TransUnion company coaches have called a strike on 19,20, 26 and 27 July, and 2, 3, 8 and August 10 to demand payment of back wages because they carry several months in 2013 without charge and collect sales outstanding also 2012, CGT denounced.

The Balearic CGT union said in a statement reported that the call for strikes was agreed at a workers' meeting held yesterday at the center of Inca BIT.

The union pointed out that last year, in January and March, filed two complaints for unpaid wages in this discretionary transport company and the company agreed to a payment schedule that later failed.

The union again denounced last May defaults from this and other companies in the transport sector discretionary Mallorca.
Old 02-07-2013, 20:28

This could effect ResortHopa as they use these coaches
Old 02-07-2013, 22:27

yes, we couldnt get back to the airport one year when they were on strike! resort hopper were very unhelpful, just left us stranded, if jet 2 had not text me I wouldnt have known anything about it, as a result many passengers missed there flights!
Old 07-07-2013, 21:31

Any update on the possible driver strikes....

Due to fly out on Friday 26th July and was about to book a coach transfer.

If strikes are likely looks likely I'll need to pre-book a car.......or are there any other alternatives?
Old 08-07-2013, 18:49

hope it's sorted by the 8th August

They were on strike around the same time in 2011, but we didn't find out until we arrived. my wife was pregnant at the time so we decided to get a taxi. Although we got to the resort quicker than the bus, it cost us about €60 for privilege
Old 08-07-2013, 19:18

Note that this is a strike planned by Transunion drivers only. There are other coach operators, even if Transunion is probably the biggest. And it is always possible it'll be called off if the drivers are actually paid. No more news about it as yet, though.
lollipop and mikeb like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 19:32

Andrew do you know if the Hoppa are transunion drivers please?

I have someone returning the first weekend of the possible strike and have arranged a Hoppa transfer. Just wondering if I need to put an alternative into place. Assume the buses will be running as usual as I believe the drivers to be a different union. Is this correct please?
Old 08-07-2013, 20:35

Eleanor, Fil mentions above that Resort Hoppa uses Transunion coaches, so there may be an issue. I hadn't been aware that RH did use Transunion, but I wouldn't question Fil's point. Though it could be that RH sub-contracts to other operators when it is particularly busy.

There may be a slight confusion with the name Transunion. This is not a "union" but a company. Forgive me, is there some confusion? I think all drivers, regardless of company, will be UGT or CCOO, the two main general trades unions. RH, if it might be affected, could always look to other operators, I guess. Tricky one.

I think I'd just hold in for a few days. Chances are that it will be sorted out.
Old 08-07-2013, 20:43

Thanks for the feedback....we were considering hiring a car this year anyway so the strike threat just hastened us getting a car.

Counting the days!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 22:20

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew711 View Post
Eleanor, Fil mentions above that Resort Hoppa uses Transunion coaches, so there may be an issue. I hadn't been aware that RH did use Transunion, but I wouldn't question Fil's point. Though it could be that RH sub-contracts to other operators when it is particularly busy.

There may be a slight confusion with the name Transunion. This is not a "union" but a company. Forgive me, is there some confusion? I think all drivers, regardless of company, will be UGT or CCOO, the two main general trades unions. RH, if it might be affected, could always look to other operators, I guess. Tricky one.

I think I'd just hold in for a few days. Chances are that it will be sorted out.
I believe that the 2 company's have actually merged into 1 which is why things are a little different this year More drop off's and pick ups. For example the other week I cancelled my pick up to the Airport because they wanted to pick me up at 8.30am from outside habitat for a 1.30pm flight crazy I got a lift instead . As the season moves on I fear this will get worse and as they have amalgamated both company's my guess is any action would effect the hoppa
Old 09-07-2013, 07:43

Thanks Andrew and Fil. Sorry Fil I didn't see your earlier post probably due to the panic of this annoyance! Thank you for the info.
The name does imply a union so I suppose the fact it isn't a union strike but a company strike might make a little more positive with the Hoppa.
I'm not sure what to do now as I need to transfer just one person to the airport on the Friday. Maybe do as they tried with you Fil and book on much earlier transfer then if it doesn't show a bus to Palma could be caught. All in all once again this is inconvenience that tourists to Mallorca just don't need! Let's hope it does sort itself!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:04
Super Moderator

Hi Eleanor, as has already been said hopefully this can be resolved and the strikes will be called off. I know it's a problem for tourists but in fairness to the drivers they are only doing this to get the money that they have worked for but the company has not paid them .
JMD40, lollipop and fil6699 like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31

I Agree with Sparky it is a pain but they are not asking for anything more than the wages they have already worked for if this was to happen in the UK or most other places work would have stopped along time ago. Imagine working and at the end of the month the company saying sorry no money to pay you this month just go back to work. And the same thing happening month on month.
Sparky and Rosie34 like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16

Point taken! Of course these people should be paid for work completed and of course no one should blame them for taking action to ensure they receive what is owed to them. No one would blame them at all for not continuing to work without being sure that they will be paid.

What annoys me is that there are so many rules throughout Spain covering so many things - fined for this - fined for that - don't do this and don't do that - that it seems incrediable to me that there is no rule to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen. As Fil said it just wouldn't happen in UK.

When I referred to the tourist and tourism my thoughts went to the chaos of years gone by with coach strikes etc. This is all the tourist will remember and will think about when they consider another holiday in Mallorca. It is a shame that yet again a strike will hit the headlines at this time of year. Whether the cause is right or wrong the majority of tourists probably would not be interested in the reasons but just the inconvenience. That was my point.

Of course I do not expect anyone to work without payment and neither should the powers that be allow it to happen. Let us hope these people receive their money asap and no strike is necessary. I wonder what they may need to do NEXT time to receive their money though?
Belladonna, Sparky, JMD40 and 2 others like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 13:50

This did crop up last year with Transunion when it was the bus operator in Pollensa. The strike threat then was avoided, but it seems to be a recurring issue. Maybe, though, Transunion has problems getting paid itself. As an example, it does school buses. And who is meant to pay for those?
lollipop likes this.