Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 16:17

Default Terrys car hire

We have just made a provisional booking with Terry's car hire and I seem to remember quite a few favourable comments. We would like to know what the procedure is at the airport as it appears to be in airport collection and return - I know we can clarify this with them at a later stage but I'm just curious
Sponsored Links
Old 13-11-2012, 20:48

I have just done the same nothing like getting in early.

The car will be parked in the multi story car park level 3 I think.

Your name is on a card inside the windscreen and keys dangling from the front spring. All paper work in boot including your ticket to get out of the car park just have to pay first. Cost me about 30 cents last time.

Easy collection no queues, from baggage collection to leaving car park 20mins.

On your return you just leave the car on the same level lock car put keys in boot and leave. Simple.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:39

Many thanks for that info Timberman Just a thought - what and where is the front spring?

Last edited by Rosie34; 14-11-2012 at 12:46.
Old 14-11-2012, 12:17
Banned

Just out of interest Rosie, did you do any comparison's with other rental companies and if you did, how did Terry's compare price-wise?

Anything to reduce queuing time is a bonus!
Old 14-11-2012, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Just out of interest Rosie, did you do any comparison's with other rental companies and if you did, how did Terry's compare price-wise?

Anything to reduce queuing time is a bonus!
We booked with Hertz for last month but were stung with a massive insurance at the airport to go fully comp - I believe this bumped the car hire up to over 500euros.

I have looked around at car hire this year and the quote from Terry's compares extremely favourably - 406euros (2 weeks) for a 5 door Fiesta or similar with AC - (including full tank) and it also states that fully comp insurance is included. Also it's a full to empty tank on return. So on the face of it, it looks like a good deal, although the quote is based on this year's prices, so may be a bit more when they have finalised next year's prices.

We have found that sometimes on first sight a price looks good, but then when you get to the airport, you are overcharged for fuel, insurance etc and obviously at this stage you just want to get on with your holiday, so say 'yes' to everything!

Last edited by Rosie34; 14-11-2012 at 12:45.
Old 14-11-2012, 12:47
Banned

Thanks Rosie and I agree entirely with your last paragraph!
Old 14-11-2012, 19:38

Rosie

Just look under the front wing above the tyre and the key will be hanging from the suspension spring, no prob.

I thought their price was very good we had a quote for a focus estate of 502 euros 12 days/full tank and in August and no pressure to take out a very expensive extra insurance.

That does include a 10% discount as a returning customer.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 12-01-2013, 13:19

Default Terrys car hire

I made a provisional book a few weeks ago with Terrys and emailed them this week to ask if a firm quote was available yet. This is their reply:

Thank you for your email, we are unable to confirm the price of your hire as although our prices are unlikely to change the Balearic Government is proposing to introduce an Eco Tax on car hire.

The Balearic Government intends to introduce a new “Eco Tax” to be charged when people hire vehicles in Mallorca. This will apply to all car hire companies operating in the Balearic Islands. Currently Terry’s Car Hire together with the Balearic Car Hire Association are campaigning striving to abolish the tax or at least minimize the “Eco Tax”.

If/when this tax will take affect effect and how much this tax will be is currently being disputed, therefore all we can tell you at present is that no provision for the “Eco Tax” is included in the above quote. Therefore if the tax is introduced and if applies to your hire period we may be obliged to charge you this tax in addition to the above quote, in which case we would notify you in advance of payment.

As soon as we know the situation we will confirm the price of your May hire.

End quote

I have not heard of this proposal before and wondered if anyone else had had a similar message from another car hire company. It's obviously a no-win situation as if you need a car (as we do for this holiday as we are out in the country) - well you have no choice but to pay up, and although we appreciate the stand that Terrys is taking on it - I guess in the end the tax will have to be paid.

Rosie
Old 12-01-2013, 14:54
Super Moderator

Yes Rosie this was mentioned here by El Gordo http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...-car-hire.html.

And here in the UH Cerca de 350 vehículos desfilan en Palma contra el impuesto a los rent a car » Local » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca. Translated by Google.

About 350 vehicles parade in Palma against the tax on rent a car .

The president of the Business Association of Car Rental with or without driver Baleares (Aevab), Ramon Reus, praised Friday's protest against green tax industry with which the Government intends to tax the 'rent a car' who has starred in a "puff" in the main streets of Palma and in which, as he assured, 350 vehicles participated. Speaking to Europa Press, Reus has stressed that the demonstration against the Balearic Government's intention to tax vehicles 'Rent a Car' a tax 'ecological misnamed "3.5 to 9 euros per car per day, which was also attended entrepreneurs Menorca and Ibiza and Formentera, has gone smoothly. vehicles have left the Polygon Son Oms at 11.00 and have organized a caravan that has passed through the airport in Palma and the promenade up to the Consulate of the Sea, where they started a loud blast, to continue along Avenida Argentina, Paseo Mallorca, Jaime III, the Paseo del Borne, the Plaza de la Reina and Calle Conquistador. Protesters have returned to whistle at the Royal Palace Street, opposite the Balearic Parliament, to show his "strong opposition" to the said tax and to the doors of the Consell de Mallorca and Palma City Council. should be recalled that on 7 December, the employer Baleval, with representation in the Balearic Committee for Transport, presented 15 claims to environmental tax, provided for in the Bill, tax measures for the financial sustainability of public finances of the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands. Specifically, one of the allegations made ​​by Baleval alludes to "great harm" caused by the mere announcement of this tax on the entire tourism sector, "by not intermediaries to close the purchase of packages that include rental vehicle. " Companies hire vehicles have met several times with representatives of the Government and the Tax on Economic Vice, without reaching any agreement.
Old 25-02-2013, 09:14

I just wondered if anyone else has 'booked' with Terry's for this year and if they have had confirmation. I am still waiting for confirmation of my reservation and the last I heard was on 15 January saying they would let me know asap I have emailed them again today as I like to have everything confirmed in good time - I once 'forgot' to book a car till the last minute
Old 25-02-2013, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
I just wondered if anyone else has 'booked' with Terry's for this year and if they have had confirmation. I am still waiting for confirmation of my reservation and the last I heard was on 15 January saying they would let me know asap I have emailed them again today as I like to have everything confirmed in good time - I once 'forgot' to book a car till the last minute
Hi Rosie,

Just last week (Majorcan Daily Bulletin) there was further information that the Green Tax on car hire will be effective from 1st April at 3.00 to 7.50 Euros per day, which will be collected by car hire companys on arrival (even if already paid for hire in advance). Perhaps Terry's were waiting on these detials being confirmed. Not good news for us all.

Lucky
Old 25-02-2013, 11:59

No it's not good is it Lucky. It will put the best part of £100 on a 2 week hire (and the exchange rate is getting worse by the day!)- and it just seems like a way to extort extra money - 'Green Tax'
Nick likes this.
Old 25-02-2013, 12:38

Red face

ABTA wants Balearic governemnt to put the brakes on hire car tax

Courtesy of http://www.majorcadailybulletin.es/

Palma.—Travellers and travel companies are beginning to wake up to the new green tax being introduced on rental cars in the Balearics as the date for its implementation looms and this week ABTA, the Association of British Travel Agents, has contacted the Balearic government urging it to either delay the introduction of the tax of reconsider it all together.
The planned tax of 3 euros to 7.5 euros a day, depending on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions, would add up to 52.5 euros (about 46 Pounds) a week to the cost of car hire.

Customers will be expected to pay the tax upon collecting their vehicle even if they have pre-paid the full cost of hire.
ABTA contacted the Balearic authorities this week seeking a delay and calling on them to reconsider.

Fingers crossed

Last edited by Sparky; 25-02-2013 at 13:16. Reason: Credit given to the MDB.
Old 25-02-2013, 12:39

From MDB Saturday I think?
Old 25-02-2013, 12:42

I totally agree with you Rosie.....£100 on the cost of a 2 week hire is just totally unacceptable but what can we do. I was quoted £375+ for 10 days hire with Hertz (for a Group B car not a limousine!!!) and this would take it up at least another £30/£40 pounds. The ironic thing is that the car will probably sit idle for half the holiday Wish we could just hire a car randomly on the days that we need it and not be ripped off for it of course!!!! As you say the exchange rate is going to make things much worse too Good luck with Terrys