Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 18:41

I have an idea! Why dont the car hire companies give the Balearic government all the profit they make on unused fuel rather than implement this green tax. I dont' believe for one minute that the car hire companies diclose to the tax authorities that they are making a sneeky profit by charging customers for fuel that they (Car comps) havnt purchased in the first place. Just a thought (I dont have many)
debz1, Belladonna, smg and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-03-2013, 12:31

i have a car booked with Vanrell for end of April and when i asked they emailed me back to say I dont have to pay the car hire tax?
Old 30-03-2013, 23:57

Any update on this new Tax?

Has anyone been charged yet for rentals lasting into April, when the tax is due to be enforced?

I'm picking up a rental tomorrow, the 31st and was wondering if I would be clobbered!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 14-04-2013, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Any update on this new Tax?

Has anyone been charged yet for rentals lasting into April, when the tax is due to be enforced?

I'm picking up a rental tomorrow, the 31st and was wondering if I would be clobbered!!
Hi El Gordo,

Hope you had a great holiday? Did you get 'clobbered' (hope not)? Have been trying the net but have not been able to get an update on the dreaded tax.

Thanks,
Lucky

Last edited by Luckyone; 14-04-2013 at 10:27. Reason: typo
Old 14-04-2013, 10:35

Rented with vanrell from 25 march to 5 April and didn't pay any extra tax
Luckyone likes this.
Old 16-04-2013, 22:59

Rented with Centauro 6th to 15th April and tax wasn't mentioned or charged.
Old 17-04-2013, 13:17

Just back from a short five day break and rented from Atisa - brand new car, free upgrade, full/full policy, no hassle to buy "extras" and efficient handover at the end.

Interestingly, no tax to pay......has it been shelved/postponed?

I'm interested as we're back in June and July for nearly four weeks and no tax would be a decent saving.

Duncan
Old 22-04-2013, 09:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
Just back from a short five day break and rented from Atisa - brand new car, free upgrade, full/full policy, no hassle to buy "extras" and efficient handover at the end.

Interestingly, no tax to pay......has it been shelved/postponed?

I'm interested as we're back in June and July for nearly four weeks and no tax would be a decent saving.

Duncan
Hi Duncan i have just read this in the UH with Google translation El Govern medita aplazar la entrada en vigor de los nuevos impuestos » Local » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca

Quote:
The Government ponders delay the entry into force of the new tax, which record the supermarkets, rental cars and containers.
The Council of Fiscal and Financial Policy is meeting this week and on the table is the possibility of relaxing the deficit target for 2013, located now at 0.7%. Catalonia is the community that has so far been more interest in easing the deficit, as it has not yet closed their budgets for this year, although Islands and others are also interested.
In this sense, Aguiló could accept postpone commissioning of the new taxes until 2014 if allowed to increase the deficit beyond the current 0.7%. It has not yet made a firm decision, but from the business sector is confident economic vice rectification, which would have gotten the blessing of Jose Ramon Bauza.
It depends on how much is allowed to increase the deficit of communities. In principle, the government ponders waive taxes this year and do in 2014, if, as rumored, the deficit could increase to 1.9 percent.
The pressures of the business sector has been intense. In fact, not only Aguiló Bauza and have been informed of the dire economic impact of the new taxes, but also Minister Jose Manuel Soria.
Inflexible
The businessmen believe, too, that the taxes on large surfaces, containers and rental cars do not become applicable. They also aim to put into operation in 2014 remains conditioned by the evolution of the Balearic economy. The financial vice-president had shown so far quite inflexible and only had accepted a reduction in the tax conditions.
The possible relaxation of the deficit has been determined by the change in attitude of Aguiló, but also influenced the possibility that a constitutional difficult recovery.
Business organizations have held several meetings with leaders of PSIB to convince the main opposition party of the need to resort to the Constitutional Court.
So it looks like we will find out this week if the tax will come into force this year or next or if ever .
Old 22-04-2013, 18:47

The taxes weren't in fact finally approved by the Balearic parliament until the last week of March. Word is they will come in on 1 May, just as the eco-tax did in 2002. The government's finance minister today ruled out any delay in their introduction.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:01

The last I read they were possibly postponing it until next year. Just booked my car hire today, hope we don't get stuffed for this on collecting in June.
Old 23-04-2013, 13:08

My friends recently rented a car and got this reply when they asked hire company about the eco-tax.

'A final draft of the legislation is not currently available to us. Consequently, this planned rental car tax is not included in the price of all existing and new bookings with a return date after April/May 2013. In the event that the rental car tax is indeed introduced, payment of the tax will most likely be required at the point where the vehicle is handed over. Further details to follow.' - 21 April 2013

So it seems like the hire companies haven't got anything definitive from the government/tax authorities to be able to impose anything yet.
Old 23-04-2013, 13:19

The hire car companies ideally need to know the date in plenty if time so there is chance to change their accounting procedures to keep track of the tax collected so they know how much money to hand over to who ever in the government collects the tax.
The danger is that the government may decide at sometime in the future to collect a percentage of sales (the tax?) from hire car companies even though they had not been told to collect the tax from customers, which would be messy and unfair on the hire car companies.

It cant just happen overnight without some official period of notice, needs to be a plan although it's Spain
Old 26-04-2013, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyone View Post
Hi El Gordo,

Hope you had a great holiday? Did you get 'clobbered' (hope not)? Have been trying the net but have not been able to get an update on the dreaded tax.

Thanks,
Lucky
Sorry for not replying......I've been a little lax in my online activity while on holiday!!

I wasn't charged but someone who I know, who arrived after 1st April, said he was charged 5E a day "Tax" at the desk on his rented Ford Focus!! don't know which car rental company it was. Maybe they saw an opportunity for a nice little earner!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 26-04-2013, 19:04

Had a word today with Cisco Arbona (Autos Arbona). He said there was no date confirmed for any introduction of the tax. He thought maybe June, but that's all he did know other than the rates. Anyone who was being levied a tax back in April was being had.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:05

Got a car this week with Hiper and no tax charged. Only booked first 4 days of our holiday but I might pay to keep it for the full 3 weeks to shelter from the rain!
ragdollabbi and roig cat like this.