Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 13:35

Question Recommended Car Hire

Who does everyone recommend for car hire in the summer? We normally go with Hertz and get an almost new car and up till now have never had any problems with them frequently getting an upgrade for being a Gold customer. Having looked at prices for this year however we may have to think about going elsewhere for the first time.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 13:55

It's so hard to recommend car hire, You'll always find someone who has had a bad experience with any company you choose.
However, We always book through Economy Car Hire and usually select Centauro (previous customers of ECH can see who the car is supplied with). We have used Centauro Palma many times and never had a problem. We have also used them in Malaga, Ibiza and Alicante without issue. They will take a pending payment from your credit Card of about 400 euros to cover damage, speeding/parking fines but we have never had this payment actually deducted. They are off airport but we've waited far longer at desks in the airport before now. The cars have always been very good.
Booking through ECH gives you Nil excess and therefore you are not hassled to take this out on arrival, they will try to sell windscreen and tyre cover however but are accepting if you say no, hence the 400 euro pending authorisation!

ECH have great customer service. If you phone them, they will let you know which quotes are with Centauro.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 16:36

We used Terrys car hire earlier this year as did my parents last week. Great service and great prices with a full-full fuel policy.
Old 10-02-2013, 16:42

We have used Terrys too and been very happy with them. Also Formentor motors in the Port but pick up and return to 4th floor airport. Again very good and of course local.
Old 10-02-2013, 16:54

Default terry's

We are using them for the first time next month. Glad to hear good reports. Our first contacts have been positive, and I liked the clear definition of how they work.
Old 10-02-2013, 17:42

We've been very happy with Sixt for the past two visits. On site at airport, very professional, quality customer service, full-to-full fuel policy, no surprises with T's & C's and price has always been fine so long as you book well in advance (and paying in advance gives 'free' extra driver).

Regarding Terrys - a question -
I've seen recent posts elsewhere speaking highly of Terrys. How exactly do they work, as I don't remember a desk in airport arrivals ? And I've heard something strange like you get the keys from under the wheel arch ? Seems odd to me, maybe a different company ?
Old 10-02-2013, 20:10

KWUK2

Thats Terry's. No airport desk, car will be in multi story car park on level 3 I think.

Your name will be on poster left on the inside of the windscreen and yes keys are in the wheel arch.

Just open the boot all details will be there including a ticket to get out of the multi storey. Just pay the ticket, a few cents and your on your way.
Old 10-02-2013, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberman View Post
KWUK2

Thats Terry's. No airport desk, car will be in multi story car park on level 3 I think.

Your name will be on poster left on the inside of the windscreen and yes keys are in the wheel arch.

Just open the boot all details will be there including a ticket to get out of the multi storey. Just pay the ticket, a few cents and your on your way.
Doesn't sound a very safe way to work considering the amount of people who use the car park although I guess it must work or they would not carry on doing it this way
Old 11-02-2013, 01:16

Whenever we have used car hire (not always required), we tend to shop around. But have had good service from Vanrell, Formentor and Gold Car in the past. With Record, although good prices, we have had issues with each time.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48

I think the key under the wheel has now been replaced with a key safe placed on the window. The code is text to you around the time of arrival.
Old 11-02-2013, 17:59

Sounds like a safer option for them. Always thought it slightly iffy to just leave the keys "dangling"
Old 12-02-2013, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
We used Terrys car hire earlier this year as did my parents last week. Great service and great prices with a full-full fuel policy.
Just checked their website and only on rentals less than 7 days, bit like most others, then it appears to be full / empty for 7 days plus.

Not sure I can stomach anymore rip off fuel charges, perhaps a list of companies than only do full/full for all hire periods would be an idea - but no idea who does it now
Old 12-02-2013, 16:25

I think some or most of the big companies do it. I know that Hertz definitely does as we normally use them but the prices seem to be so expensive this year....don't know if it's just because we haven't been in the summer for a few years.....normally October and then only for a week. This time it's for 10 days and I am shocked at the prices Just hoping that I can get a good reliable deal somewhere and as you said are not ripped off for fuel
Old 12-02-2013, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
............Not sure I can stomach anymore rip off fuel charges, perhaps a list of companies than only do full/full for all hire periods would be an idea - but no idea who does it now
A few of the brokers provide a filter or indicate the fuel policy of their offers.

For instance, Do you Spain, have a filter when your results of your search are presented. You are able to choose from All, Full/Full and Full/Empty.

It is interesting to note that when I chose Full/Full as the fuel rule, the price of the cars shot up considerably.

For example a Ford Fusion went up from 432E to 690E for the same duration (31 March to 25th April).

Also, you should be careful of the conversion rates for this site!! You pay in Euros but the equivalent GBP is based on an 1.3E to £ exchange rate!!

Other Brokers offer similar tools.

PS You usually pay a lot more if you go direct to a Car Hire Company. You also pay a lot more if you are a "walk in" against booking online. My neighbour visited Hiper in PP last October to hire a car for a few days. When told the price he informed them of a substantially lower price online with them. Their answer was to go across the road to the ciber café and book it then come back!!

Good luck
Lorenzo, Nick and roig cat like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 13-02-2013, 09:15
Founder

Economy Car Hire now display 'icons' against their list showing which are On Airport & which have a 'Fair Fuel' policy - they include free additional driver too.
roig cat likes this.

Last edited by pollensa; 13-02-2013 at 09:19.