Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2012, 15:42

Default Record Car Hire

Looking forward to coming to PP on 28th July and then Villa Parade launch the curved ball into the equasion by announcing that we will no longer be getting our hire car from Avis (full/full policy and decent check-in service) but now with Record.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this firm get very bad press for queues, service and operate a full/emply (pay through the nose for petrol) policy?

Can anyone give me any up to date information about Record?

Oh, and is the office now in the car park or the baggage area?

Thanks so much.

Just when I thought everything was going so well.

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Duncan
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2012, 19:20

If you want to wait in a 2 plus hour que Record will provide.in my extended familys opinion they are the worst car hire company in Majorca.
Up until 2weeks ago they have not improved,but in their favour they are the cheapest ,so if you want to save a few nicker bring a deck chair, ensimadas & bottle of Macia Battle & enjoy the Airport atmosphere.
Old 14-07-2012, 20:32

Angry

Oh dear! Thanks so much for the reply....but not what I was hoping for!

Villa Parade say they changed from Avis because of ....wait for it.....queues! I never xperineced any last year. But not only have they moved to Record with their lousy service, queues etc, but to a Full/Empty fuel policy (rip-off) AND where with Avis we would have had two drivers included, with Record we have to pay for the second driver (on two cars).

So Villa Parade customers be warned!

I rang them yesterday to complain and, after trying to fob me off, a promise was made to investigate and ring me back today.....I'm still waiting.

I've used Villa Parade for many,many years - but they seem to have a "death wish" towards my future business.

Isn't the travelling part of getting to PP a pain in the *****!

Duncan
Old 14-07-2012, 23:43

Hi Duncan
I know the lad in charge of Villa Parade in Cambridge I will speak to him personally on Monday to make him aware of that dismal arrangement.
They are generally a decent company I'm sure they won't want their reputation tarnished.
Old 15-07-2012, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post

Isn't the travelling part of getting to PP a pain in the *****!

Duncan
Not if you follow whaleywanderer's example earlier this year and drive down via Brittany Ferries/Santander/Barcelona/ferry/Palma.
I have this down as one of the 100 things you should do before you can't
Old 15-07-2012, 14:55

Default Record Car Hire

We travelled through Palma Airport recently and the queues for Record and Goldcar were very long This was not the case for Avis so I think that Villa Parade may not be entirely honest in what they are saying.
We used Hiper this time and whilst not on airport, the mini bus was there to collect us as soon as we came out of the Terminal and we were very quickly on the road to PP in a nice clean Seat Ibiza.

Sadly Record (who we always used to use) often have cars which are quite grubby. You also might like to mention to Villa Parade that Record do not provide the requsite safety equipment in their cars (hi-viz jackets and warning triangles) which is quite risky if you break down as we did in one of their cars.

Last edited by Lorenzo; 18-07-2012 at 22:14.
Old 15-07-2012, 17:06

I'm glad you had a good experience with Hiper Lorenzo as that is who I am booked with for my trip to PP next month. The broker I booked with originally put me with Record but I have heard too many reports of really long waits to make me even consider them. It cost me any extra forty euros but that is a small price to pay if I don't have a two hour wait.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 15-07-2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
Not if you follow whaleywanderer's example earlier this year and drive down via Brittany Ferries/Santander/Barcelona/ferry/Palma.
I have this down as one of the 100 things you should do before you can't
Thinking about finding a stress free way to PP, I've just been catching up with the Sunday papers and all the cruise adverts. The big thing at the moment are cruises originating from and returning to the UK.
Has any one enquired about cruising down to Palma, having your break in PP, then cruising back?
Old 16-07-2012, 00:19

Default Cruising to Palma

I have a good friend who has a place near Palma and she wanted to take an upright vacuum cleaner there.

So she booked on a cruise which included Palma on the itinerary and boarded the ship in Southampton with her vacuum cleaner (neatly enclosed in a golf club bag I hear) and landed it in Palma and popped up to her apartment to leave it safely there.

She did comment that her bedroom steward in the cruise ship was somewhat bemused by the presence of the vacuum cleaner in her cabin.
pollensa, LK1960, Sparky and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Lorenzo; 18-07-2012 at 22:15.
Old 18-07-2012, 13:32

Thanks so much for the offer of help, Cumberland8.

Latest situation is that, having promised to ring me back when I rang last Friday I'd heard nothing at all from Villa Parade so last night (Tuesday) I rang again.

Guess what? Another promise to ring back..........I'm still waiting!

I've used Villa Parade for years, recommended friends and family so......what on earth has happenned to the usual excellent service!

So sad to be let down after so many years.
Old 18-07-2012, 19:05

Hi, I posted several week ago with the same issues. Booked with Villa Parade thinking no probs with car hire as for the last few years they have used Avis. Phoned and complained but to no avail. We were lucky as we were given a booking with Atesa which were on par with Avis. Tank full to be taken back full. I think it's pot luck who you get now with VP!!
Old 18-07-2012, 20:02

I can say in all honesty that we have never had to queue for more than ten minutes for Record BUT when have got the cars..................what a load of old toot! Of the 3 times we've used them, the first was "buying cheap" and the following 2 were because tour operators / airlines "conned" us by advertising car hire logos for top name companies and then sent us via Record but on all 3 times, the vehicles left much to be desired.
If such companies as Villa Parade are now using them it can only be for one reason, they'll be considerably cheaper than Avis and nothing more or less!
Lorenzo and lollipop like this.

Last edited by Tonsyl; 18-07-2012 at 20:04.
Old 07-08-2012, 15:13

nearly always used Record...only had one long wait but always had new or nearly new cars.When you book you choose 'or similar' so you do get what you book! Bodge
Old 16-08-2012, 22:03

We've booked last minute break with Villa Parade. Although we've been frquently to Mallorca we've not used them before (previously used Vintage and Magic). I booked a car hire with them as they were £60-70 cheaper then my usual company (Nova) - even Easyjet offered a car £10 cheaper than Nova.

I'd booked a Ford Fiesta (or equivalent as they always say). When the invoice came through I noted it was with Centauro (off airport?) but a couple of days latter Villa Parade came back and said they were struggling to get a car... There's only two of us and the 'villa' is a town house in the centre of Pollensa - with it's narrow streets a Fiesta is fine! :-)

Villa Parade came back today to say they've sourced a Mercedes A Class (or equivalent) with Record (on airport?). To be honest I suspect the car will sit outside the house for most of the week that we're there which means we won't use the full tank of fuel we're obliged to take but as long as it gets us reliably from the airport to Pollensa and back I'll be happy...

Links
Old 20-08-2012, 21:20

I started (the thread) so I'll finish - as they say.

The Record experience was nothing like as bad as I expected. 30 minute queue at Palma airport and the staff on the desk were a bit surly, (especially as we had insurance4carhire and declined their pricey add-ons). Had to give credit cards for a "holding" deposit of 400Euros on each car.

Nevertheless, through Villa Parade we'd booked two cars and the Citroen C3 (diesel) and Hyundai i20 (petrol) were both very new and clean.

Returning the cars to the airport was simplicity itself. Staff on hand to inspect both cars, declare them damage free, and in our presence reverse the "holding"deposit on the credit cards (no paperwork though to confirm - they don't do that.

We've been back for ten days now, and no "horrors" have hit the credit cards, which is a relief.

After all the negative comments about Record, I must say I was astonished. That said, we deliberately get the earliest flights in the day that we can - I'm quite sure that means shorted car hire queues than later in the day and easier drop offs.

In the words of The Bard "All's Well That Ends Well"!

Duncan
El Gordo, MalcolmS and eleanor like this.