Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By clinkham

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 13:53

Default Gold Car - Insurance rip off

We booked our car through Carjet - we have used this company many times and I think they used to use Auriga Crown - always a short queue and hassle free - we used to look at the Record queue and smirk

This year also we paid through Carjet for supplementary insurance and the domumentation stressed that we should not pay any extra when picking up the car.

However, this year (16 May) there was a long queue so I kept the place in the queue while my husband went to get the cases of the carousel which took about 10 minutes - so we swapped places and I sat looking after the luggage - for it must have been 45 minutes - such a slow moving queue. When he eventually came back with the keys, he was fuming and said we will never use the company again! When he presented our insurance document at the desk, the person refused to accept it and said it was invalid. So after a short exchange of words, and to prevent any further waiting (thinking about the people behind him), he forked out another 70euros. He has since phoned Carjet who say that they have had numerous complaints about the same situation, and said we need to write to their cumstomer service. We have now written to them asking for a refund.

We have already booked a car through Carjet for October but I am now looking at other car hire options.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 15:30

Cant comment on your case, but we always use Goldcar and have had this conversation ourselves, I think the extra insurance should be an option and they explained as follows, the carjet full insurance is with another company than Goldcar, if you need to claim on the policy when there you will need to pay upfront and reclaim the money from carjet when you return, with the Goldcar insurance everything is covered and you will not need to pay out any money yourself, IMHO I will go with Goldcar's in the future and not Carjet's. The thing with insurance is that you never really think about it or consider it until you need it.

On island time!!
Old 03-06-2012, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Cant comment on your case, but we always use Goldcar and have had this conversation ourselves, I think the extra insurance should be an option and they explained as follows, the carjet full insurance is with another company than Goldcar, if you need to claim on the policy when there you will need to pay upfront and reclaim the money from carjet when you return, with the Goldcar insurance everything is covered and you will not need to pay out any money yourself, IMHO I will go with Goldcar's in the future and not Carjet's. The thing with insurance is that you never really think about it or consider it until you need it.
Thanks for this sws - will pass info on to my OH
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58

The extra insurance always sticks in my throat, though I pay it, as I sleep a little easier knowing I don't have the dreaded final inspection to worry about. I have a Focus booked for two weeks in July with Record, through DYS for 223euros. Noticed on their website that their extra insurance was 4.49euro per day, capped at a maximum of 49.50including taxes. So I guess I'm looking at 70euros of fuel and a total bill of around 350euros, which isn't too bad for July. Worth checking the Ts&Cs on the individual companies website to avoid a shock at the desk!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03

so are Goldcar back airside, please?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg View Post
so are Goldcar back airside, please?
Yes - well it was when we travelled
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22

There appear to be kiosks on both sides rather than one serving both sides,but at the weekend the cheaper hire company's still had quite long queues.
Old 14-06-2012, 14:55

One thing that has not been mentioned here is the reduction in "Comprehensive" cover that seems to have taken place since last year.

We had a car from Goldcar for three weeks in March. I have Insurance4Carhire as advertised on this site, so refused the additional insurance offered.

The girl explained that the Zero Excess insurance provided was only for "collision" damage in an accident. If you scratch the car or someone else scratches the car in a car park you are liable up to the excess and even beyond!! not just tyres,windscreen, undercarriage etc.

Beware "Comprehensive" may not be what it used to be!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 14-06-2012, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned here is the reduction in "Comprehensive" cover that seems to have taken place since last year.

We had a car from Goldcar for three weeks in March. I have Insurance4Carhire as advertised on this site, so refused the additional insurance offered.

The girl explained that the Zero Excess insurance provided was only for "collision" damage in an accident. If you scratch the car or someone else scratches the car in a car park you are liable up to the excess and even beyond!! not just tyres,windscreen, undercarriage etc.

This is what happened with us - even though we had taken extra insurance with Carjet before travelling - we are still waiting for a reply from them regarding our complaint. In the meantime we have cancelled our october booking with them and rebooked with Hertz direct and must check the insurance situation before we travel.
Old 14-06-2012, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

We used Insurance4carhire last year, refusing the extra insurance with Record. Someone clipped the repeater indicator on the wing mirror (whilst the car was parked - honestly!!) which resulted in a 130 euro debit to the credit card. Insurance4carhire processed our claim within days and the cash was with us before the credit card billing date.

Just my experience, but we shall be repeating the excercise on the next car rental (err, minus the damage, hopefully!!)

Check the signature below......not long now. Starting to assemble holiday togs and creams and lotions to ward off the sun - hopefully!
El Gordo and Rosie34 like this.