Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   warning re car hire shortages (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/8462-warning-re-car-hire-shortages.html)

roig cat 23-02-2012 15:50

warning re car hire shortages

The following has been released fro Economy Car Hire:Press Release Date: February 2012

Availability Crisis to Hit Spain This Summer

One of the largest independent car hire companies in Spain has recently announced that they will cease trading.

AurigaCrown have been operating under administration for around two years, however, due to increasing costs and lower revenue, it has been decided that they will cease trading. As a result the availability of hire cars across mainland Spain will plummet. The loss of 15,000 vehicles in the market will cause prices to rise significantly in the coming months according to Economy Car Hire, one of the UK’s leading car hire brokers.

In both 2009 and 2010 there were availability issues due to the economic situation in Spain, making it difficult for car hire companies to raise finance in order to equip their fleets. 2012 is in danger of being even worse due to the fall in the number of cars.

Economy Car Hire warns customers that they must book early if they want to secure a hire car this summer. The costs of car hire will also rise, meaning that customers may end up paying more than double if they leave booking until the last minute, if there are any vehicles left at all.

"It is clear that the recent raft of exceptionally low prices has taken its toll on the car hire companies of Spain" says Rory Sexton, Managing Director of Economy Car Hire. "There is no doubt that following the failing of one company, the rest will increase their prices. The message is clear, book in advance."

If you have already booked your holiday for the summer, Economy Car Hire advises that you book your hire car now. This way, you can choose the most suitable vehicle for your stay and not be left with something hugely inappropriate, or worse still, nothing at all.

It is not yet known exactly when AurigaCrown will cease trading, however, as a precaution Economy Car Hire have already moved affected bookings to an alternative provider. Customers who have a car hire booking with AurigaCrown made through another broker or agent are advised to make alternative arrangements.

Economy Car Hire provides car hire services in over 26 countries worldwide, including the UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey, Jamaica and Australia.

Prices include Full Collision Damage Waiver with No Insurance Excess, Unlimited Mileage, Free Additional Driver and Airport surcharges.

El Gordo 24-02-2012 01:10

Thanks for the info RC. Better get booking!!!

joelise80 24-02-2012 13:49

Just had an email from Do You Spain telling us that there are hire car shortages predicted for this summer :( now I know they just want you to book but I couldn't get my first choice of car for our dates in June as they had all gone in that category so have booked something smaller just so I know I'm not on the bus :)

roig cat 26-02-2012 19:04

It's difficult to know how much spin has been added to this situation but back in 2009 when this happened before, we were left stranded at the airport when Goldcar ran out of cars and didnt honour our booking even though it was made 12 months in advance and booked via Villa Parade!
We had to get a taxi to our villa! 85 euro. Thankfully we had booked with Villa Parade and they did find an alternative the next day, they were keen to point out we had the last car on the island!
If travelling at peak times I recommend you book with a reputable company and pay in advance and if arriving on a late flight, phone the day before to ensure they have your flight details and a car will be available.