Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 21:22

Default Driving from airport

Hi there we are coming back to pp in July and I was considering driving from the airport and keeping hire car. I've never driven outside uk before and would like honest feedback on driving at night from airport...is the road easy...directions clear...or best to book transfers?
Sponsored Links
Old 17-03-2012, 21:34

Hi Caro. We have been driving from the airport to PP for more years than I care to remember! Obviously we now have no problems at all, but to be honest, I really dont think it is that difficult as long as you keep your wits about with the signs. There is a link here that may well help you. After all, its only an island! Happy motoring!

Directions from Palma airport to Puerto Pollensa Majorca Mallorca
Old 17-03-2012, 21:43

we have also driven this road many times with no problems, I understand how daunting it can be when you havent driven outside UK, Im sure you will have no problem on the main road, the only problem I have is in the narrow streets of Pollensa, wouldnt recommend this!
Belladonna likes this.
Old 17-03-2012, 21:58

If I can drive in Mallorca then frankly anyone can! The signs are good and the motorways are very easy to follow and usually not too busy with traffic.
Driving on the 'wrong' side actually seems very right! I usually have problems returning to the UK!
The one thing that I do find a little of a worry is joining a motorway or when others join- I do find that a little daunting but that's probably just me!
tibbles likes this.
Old 17-03-2012, 22:27

Hi Caro
I drive in many counties so now find it easy. But you need to be sure you know exactly were you are going and this can be confusing especially at night. Personally what I would recommend is you use transfers from the Airport this time. And while in PP Hire a car for a couple of days and get used to driving around in daylight. Maybe even take a drive down to Palma to see how the Journey is. Driving at night in a different country can be very stressful and you don't want to start your Holiday all stressed plus you may also then spend your whole holiday worrying about the journey back to return the car. So just give it a try in the Port for a couple of days and if its for you then next time get a car from the Airport.Whatever you decide stay safe and have a wonderful holiday
favie, Sparky and Caro21 like this.
Old 17-03-2012, 22:32

As My wife just reminded me I forgot to mention. Once you leave the Motorway the Road up to PP has no lights and is a long and difficult road if you have never driven especially at night after a day of traveling
favie, Sparky and Caro21 like this.
Old 17-03-2012, 23:07

I personally would take fils advice.....and I'm only the passenger!

Remember you can always hire a car in the port if you wish to get out and about, I believe Hiper have a depot there.
Caro21 likes this.
Old 18-03-2012, 00:30

Tend to agree with fil6699, a sensible option.
I also first hired in PP many years ago, but now always hire from the airport.
If you have a good confident navigator who can read a map and read the roadsigns try it by all means, but he/she will have to concentrate until you get on the main Palma-Inca-Alcudia road.
Just make sure you take it steady enough to read the signs on the bit between the airport and that road (motorway for most of the way). Do 'suss-out' the route beforehand. And remember 'the driver always sits towards the middle of the road' whether driving in England (RH drive) or Spain (LH drive).
Sparky, lollipop and Caro21 like this.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:12

Hi Caro I asked myself a similar question about 6 years ago having hired cars at different resorts on the island. Since then I have picked up the car at the airport on 3 occasions and found it relatively straight forward. The roads around Palma can be busy but if you are arriving at night time this shoud not be a problem. One thing I have found of great help has been a sat nav especially around Palma.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:22

Did you get the satnav with the hire car, or did you bring your own? If so, which one? This is a bone of contention with hubby and myself!
Old 18-03-2012, 10:41

It's my own Tomtom one UK and Euro works a treat all over the island.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Hi Caro
I drive in many counties so now find it easy. But you need to be sure you know exactly were you are going and this can be confusing especially at night. Personally what I would recommend is you use transfers from the Airport this time. And while in PP Hire a car for a couple of days and get used to driving around in daylight. Maybe even take a drive down to Palma to see how the Journey is. Driving at night in a different country can be very stressful and you don't want to start your Holiday all stressed plus you may also then spend your whole holiday worrying about the journey back to return the car. So just give it a try in the Port for a couple of days and if its for you then next time get a car from the Airport.Whatever you decide stay safe and have a wonderful holiday
I think this is very wise advice, also, a few years ago a local taxi driver told hubby to never be rushed by impatient drivers, he said "just take your time and ignore them". Good luck with whatever you do and tell us all about it when you get back home .
Old 18-03-2012, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Hi Caro
Another option would be to hire the car from PP and arrange to leave it at the airport on your departure, almost sure most of the companies do this.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:51

it couldnt be easier now with the new motorway, 1st time i drove was one of those late night flights too and was a bit confused but that was on the old road to inca etc

on leaving airport car park follow sign for palma, then the alcudia cut off sign, even if you miss the pollensa cut off road ends up in alcudia and just follow coast road to pp
lollipop likes this.
Old 18-03-2012, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baglanboyo View Post
It's my own Tomtom one UK and Euro works a treat all over the island.
Excellent. Thanks Baglanboyo!